From what I can see it's an iPhone that's too big for your pocket, meaning you need a bag to carry it around, in which case what's wrong with a fully functional laptop rather than a crippled tablet?

So can some one give a reason why they have bought one, really I'm interested in the logic used.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered one because -

It boots faster than a laptop

A laptop is heavy, awkward, clumsy to use in bed, lounging around etc.

It's easier to surf, etc, on than my iPhone

A laptop has a desktop type OS / file system that some people find confusing / hard to use (eg my 84 year old mother)

The iPad can serve as a digital photo frame rather than spending £150 (last time I looked) on one

You can read ebooks with a large text size which may suit my mother better that reading print books with a magnifying glass

10 hour battery life is better than my laptop

I'll see how my mother gets on with our iPad re photos, books, texts and mail and if it suits her I'll buy another one.

Didn't realise that Nokia, Hewlett-Packard and Dell also made iPads. Sensationalist headline ignoring that fact that the factory make goods for a number of different manufacturers

ETA it'd also worth comparing suicide rates at the factory against China, UK, USA, IOM etc to get a better picture of the situation

Two years from now the detractors will totally get the point of the form factor and the lightweight OS. It's like how people didn't get the iPod at first. Looking forward to seeing similar devices running Android too. But I bet those devices won't be nearly so efficient in terms of battery life.

And good riddance to Flash. If the fan ever comes on on my partner's laptop, it always means that some tab she has open is eating resources and generating heat because of some unnecessary flash widget. H.264 video streamed directly without Flash doesn't use anything like the same overheads.

From what I can see it's an iPhone that's too big for your pocket, meaning you need a bag to carry it around, in which case what's wrong with a fully functional laptop rather than a crippled tablet?

So can some one give a reason why they have bought one, really I'm interested in the logic used.

No, it's not even a phone. You stick your 3G SIM in it, and you get internets through it, that's all. The only way of making calls, is through skype or similar, so it's just the same as any other laptop.

All it is, is an iPod touch, with a bigger screen, that you can browse web pages on when you're not in a wifi hotspot.

Same goes for ipad really. No keyboard? Gotta stare at the on-sreen thingy and mistype constantly like I do on my touch phone? **** that tbh....

You can use an external keyboard if you're going to be writing War and Peace in a hotel room somewhere.

Well, I'm taking a gamble and getting one. It could suck, and I could have wasted my money. I'm sure it'll sell for a reasonable price in a month or so if I decide to get rid of it!

I like the iPhone OS for a portable device to travel with, I just need more screen real-estate for what I do with it.

I don't quite get these reports - It's gruesome but according to the World Health Organisation figures on China (they don't have any specifics for Taiwan) the average suicide rate is 13.0 male and 14.8 female per 100,000 in various selected rural and urban areas. (There's a slightly different figure for Hong Kong)

That report says that there are 400,000 employees in Foxconn. Surely that means that if Foxconn gave their employees just an average slice of life, 111.2 suicides a year would be the expected average figure. This is the 11th this year?

Two years from now the detractors will totally get the point of the form factor and the lightweight OS. It's like how people didn't get the iPod at first. Looking forward to seeing similar devices running Android too. But I bet those devices won't be nearly so efficient in terms of battery life.

And good riddance to Flash. If the fan ever comes on on my partner's laptop, it always means that some tab she has open is eating resources and generating heat because of some unnecessary flash widget. H.264 video streamed directly without Flash doesn't use anything like the same overheads.

I have nothing against the form factor, just the limitations of this device. I have considered buying a slate for my children, but the fact is they use a lot of flash based websites, and so Apples decision to restrict the device along with the fact that there are cheaper options means that the Ipad is a no go.

If I buy hardware I expect to do what I want with it, not be dictated to by the hardware supplier. A simple fact is that most video, games and interactive content is in flash but if you want to disable it you can. The BBC or any major provider of interactive flash websites won't be porting content to HTML 5 because it would be costly and not practical in most cases HTML5 is not a full replacemnet for Flash. With Flash 10.1 in beta and due for public release later this year, I will be looking at buying an Android slate and have the full web experience and choice rather than what Apple tells me I can have.

Was hoping they might turn up early, but either way Friday works for me...

Mine seems to be out for final delivery - pity it's going to my work address on my day off. May have to pop in later and pick it up if it is delivered today

Was hoping they might turn up early, but either way Friday works for me...

Mine seems to be out for final delivery - pity it's going to my work address on my day off. May have to pop in later and pick it up if it is delivered today

Really. Where are you seeing that. My tracker on UPS has it in Preston as of this morning....

Got a note into M.I.C. to see how they get here from there...

Still not the full web, all the same it is your choice to be dictated to by apple, whilst I like most people prefer to make my own decisions.

Apple fanboys do make me chuckle, if it were not for Flash there would be no Iplayer, YouTube, MiniClip, CBBC, CBEEBIES etc in fact the web would not be a multimedia experience as no one could develop these services for mass market today without flash, whilst Vimeo and Youtube are experimenting with HTML5, flash is still the defacto standard and will be the dominant format for years to come.

To opt for a device that does not support todays web content is your choice, but given that Android will support full flash and hence the full web, it will be Android devices that will be selling out this Xmas.

Archived