Mhk Tackles The Big Issues

piebaps

No flies on John Houghton! He is tackling the financial crisis head on!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Crackdown-on-39growing-disease39-of.6381129.jp

What's more worrying perhaps is that only one of the replies actually sees the bigger picture and the rest foxus on the non-issue that this is.

Apologies to any MF members who are affected or own motorhomes :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its simple really, stick the motorhome on your drive and have your 3 cars taking up even more room in the street?? it isn't like there are 100's of motorhomes in everyones way, just a few green eyes that want a whinge. would putting the motorhome on a trailer and then parking the trailer in the street get you round it anyway??

I'm glad this is all he has to worry about !!

I can see the legislation for this being an utter mess with a hugely expensive test case to see if it holds up. Any vehicle can be parked with a nuisance value to it to someone, but to single out one particular vehicle for attention is a nonsense. Sounds like a sledgehammer to crack a nut to me.

To be fair, that story is not the sum total of Tynwald's activities over the past couple of weeks.

Last week members raised questions regarding proxy votes, election trusts, contributions from non-resident trading companies, the costs and benefit of the sinister sounding 'Jupiter Project', nursery education. They also discussed and voted on a report from the security committee recommending transferral of immigration powers from the Governor to the Government, an increase in passenger duty charged on flights from the Island, and a review of the ways Government scrutinizes the work of government departments.

So it's less a case of "Pshaw! Is that all they've got to worry about!?" and more "Is that all our journalists have to report on?". We mainly hear about things like Eddie Lowey going mental over 'Wacky Weddings', Brian Stowell getting a gong, and what Houghton thinks of camper vans because that's what the newspapers believe we want to hear about.

To be fair, that story is not the sum total of Tynwald's activities over the past couple of weeks.

So it's less a case of "Pshaw! Is that all they've got to worry about!?" and more "Is that all our journalists have to report on?".

I think it's more about what the Journalists are told to report. As we have discussed before, most journalism on the island is done by way of press releases, thus they are thrown scraps from the table and have to put up and shut up! Sad but true?

Motor homes are wonderful, you can park at the side of the road, anywhere..... ' eee this is nice spot, I'll get t foldy chairs out , you get t kettle on mother', he wheezed, ' we can watch t cars go by'.

So it's less a case of "Pshaw! Is that all they've got to worry about!?" and more "Is that all our journalists have to report on?".

I think it's more about what the Journalists are told to report. As we have discussed before, most journalism on the island is done by way of press releases, thus they are thrown scraps from the table and have to put up and shut up! Sad but true?

So yet another so called( peoples representative) seems to have taken it upon himself to push forward yet more Inane and unwarranted legislation.

This move on camper-vans is a step too far!

We pay our road tax, visit other towns on the Island and spend money,and yet live in an over-governed and increasingly un-democratic society.

The increasing use of campers should be encouraged as a benefit to Tourism, not yet more oppressive legislation.

Has Houghton really nothing better to occupy his time than this?

I am, the owner of one of these so called Disease ridden blights on the Manx landscape and as stated regularly visit most towns on the Island,spending hard cash on every trip!!

A more sensible approach would be to provide somewhere for us to securely park.

Most tourist destinations in the UK welcome us with open arms and provide us with the facilities to park safely and have access to electrical hook-ups and sanitation points.

Why have the wasteland of Summerland, nor indeed Nobles Park not been upgraded for this potentially lucrative market?

Get on with something that really matters Mr H or get a new job!

Annoyed Owner.

The fact that motorhomes exist at all is for the benefit of people wishing to visit other parts of the world in comfort and offer a form of relaxation. They are a boon to some disabled and partially disabled people, older people and families.

There are not that many kicking about and those that are, are hardly a nuisance? Where I live seems to have become a parking area for them because they are restricted as to where they park! What harm are they doing? I may like to purchase one someday and use it to get out and about the island on crappy days, holiday abroad rtc etc. Why the hell should I be legilated against as some pariah to normal life on the IoM?

Better the government occupying itself with national issues, surely this is a local authority problem? Why not offer secure parking and limit the time vehicles can be left outside houses to a couple of days?

Houghton is a typical small minded politician, appealing to the non achievers of his constituency, who are jealous of everything they have never got off their assholes to try and attain! I suppose they deserve representation but perhaps by someone who talks common sense!

After reading the replies to the topic on iomonline I noticed one poster moaning about the loss of light and the loss of view from his windows. Well no one has the right to a view or restriction of light or so the IOM Government planning department say. A case heard before the Planners a couple of years ago over the loss of a sea view and restriction of light by house owners in Castle Mona Av after planners granted Dandara permission to build flats of the Crescent site. On appeal of the planning approval the decision was given That no person has the rights to light or view.

There is a law on the use of static caravans on the island. Government should have thought about this long before allowing people to invest in these motorhomes.

Can't say I really pay much attention to motorhomes but there's one parked on a drive near to where I live that is so long it effectively hangs off the owner's drive and blocks about 95% of the pavement on one side of the road.

Great if you are disabled or have a pushchair or just a general right to use the pavement.

Different issue, blocking a pavement is actionable by the local authority.

I use my camper van when I go to functions in Douglas or elsewhere. I don't mind a drink and I'm buggered if I'm paying £45 for a single room with 5 channels on the TV and a grotty shower, that's if I can find a room anyway with the decline in tourist accommodation. Park right outside and fall into bed after a good evening. Breakfast and a cuppa in the morning and maybe a bacon sarnie until I'm ok to drive home. Sorted.

Archived