Brown For President

integrity

A well informed Tynwald source is predicting already how Tony Brown's political career is to progress?

President of Tynwald.

It is alledged that Neil Cringle will retire and the way is being prepared for Tony to step into his shoes.

Mr Brown has made it known in the press that he did not wish to work well into his sixties(public sector workers duly note)when he closed his

electical shop in Castletown.

The job of President should suite his work ethic and be a good get out for all us poor suffering residents that have endured his rule over the last five years.

It is also alledged that a knighthood is his desired award for his thirty 'odd' years of public service?

You heard it first on Manx Forums.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We did hear it here first - Theo mentioned it months ago.

I'm in two minds

Pros

1. He'd stop being CM

2. No more Cringle

Cons

1. He'll dodge the electorate's verdict on his tenure in power.

2. After running the worst Govt. in decades he'll stay on the Govt. payroll.

3. He'll use the position of President to stifle criticism of the previous administration.

We did hear it here first - Theo mentioned it months ago.

I'm in two minds

Pros

1. He'd stop being CM

2. No more Cringle

Cons

1. He'll dodge the electorate's verdict on his tenure in power.

2. After running the worst Govt. in decades he'll stay on the Govt. payroll.

3. He'll use the position of President to stifle criticism of the previous administration.

Yes, I have heard that Cringle wants to retire and Tony would like his seat.

Mr Cringle does have the skill of getting through the Tynwald order paper as though he were conducting a farm auction.

With a full order paper they could be there for days with Tony presiding.

Brown being appointed the president of Tynwald should be the very last nail in the coffin of that wretched old corpse the Legislative Council.

There are better ways of getting rid of Cringle and Brown than having to see the likes of the latter being allowed to occupy another position of power after such a miserable run as Chief Minister.

So Heimdall blows the Gjallarhorn

Naglfar breaks free from its moorings

Odin is killed by Fenrir

and

Arkwright becomes President of Tynwald.

Ragnarök

It's been quite well known for some time that Arkwright plans to run for President next Spring, well ahead of the General Election. This explains why he's apparently unconcerned about taking any decisive, but possibly unpopular or painful action to address the fiscal problems - he knows he just has to keep the show on the road for another 9 months or so, then it will become someone else's problem, and he'll just slide into a well paid, but largely ceremonial post.

As Declan says there are pros and cons here, and getting him out of the CM's chair is the biggest pro, but the scenario does raise a few issues:-

- he's effectively trying to get himself 'promoted out of trouble'. Morally wrong, but he won't be worried.

- will Tynwald members elect him, primarily to get rid of him as CM, and not because he's earned the post or is the best person

- if they don't elect him will he stay on as CM to punish us all

- how will the public respond if their elected representatives 'reward' the worst CM ever with the Presidency

- will there be any other candidates who might give him a run for his money (Roden, Christian have been mentioned)

Personally, I'd like to see him stand and get soundly beaten, which is what he deserves for his lamentable leadership over the last couple of years.......

Personally, I'd like to see him stand and get soundly beaten, which is what he deserves for his lamentable leadership over the last couple of years.......

Er, beaten by who??

Er, beaten by who??

It's tempting to say 'anyone', but Roden and Christian are the only other names I've heard bandied around. They've probably got their 'cons' too, as would be Presidents, but to me it would be a sad day if Arkwright was rewarded for being the worst CM ever with what is, rightly or wrongly, a prestigious and well remunerated role.

Whatever happens, it's unlikely he'll get a clear run at the job. Someone else is bound to throw their hat in the ring too.

I am Minister Tony Brown

My aura's smug

And my tache droops down

Soon I will be president...

Cringle Power will soon go away

I will be Fuhrer one day

I will command all of you

[Chorus:]

Castletown Uber Alles

Castletown Uber Alles

Uber Alles Castletown

Uber Alles Castletown

You will croak, you little clown

When you mess with President Brown

When you mess with President Brown

The President and the Chief Minister have first to choose a Governor before Mr Brown moves to the position of President.

Who will that person be?

What member of the Tynwald club will Tony and Neil choose to work with Mr Brown when he becomes President?

Who in the club looks likely to lose his place in the election next year and be parachuted in as Governor.

Or could our Governor be Sir Miles Walker or Donald Gelling?

Interesting twelve months ahead as we observe how the longest uninterupted democracy in the world perserves its ruling class.

Or could our Governor be Sir Miles Walker or Donald Gelling?

Interesting twelve months ahead as we observe how the longest uninterupted democracy in the world perserves its ruling class.

Would that be Donald Gelling of KSF Bank? The Islands biggest embarrassment for some years, Donald Gelling? You think he would have at least warned the Govt to get their money out, wouldn't you?

Don't, please, call him sir Miles, unless you wish to kow tow to the English crown, that is! Acceptance of that title alone would, in my op, disqualify him from the said position.

It'll be an apathetic 12 months if WE don't light up some ongoing debate about this totally unimportant position that is so vital a crossroads to the Islands future constitutional development.

As Declan says there are pros and cons here, and getting him out of the CM's chair is the biggest pro,

With the biggest con being more taxpayers money spent underwriting the lifestyle of a dreadful tinpot dictator.

Archived