Petrol Prices

EORH

I see the garages have put the petrol/diesel up again by 1p a litre,as is usual just before an event,or a rise somewhere else,ie Easter,TT,Grand Prix,Christmas,well there is an expected rise next January with the VAT rise to 20%,so there is nothing for the fuel suppliers in that,so why not slip a penny on for ourselves eh boys the public won't notice another penny.

There hasn't been a major rise in oil prices has there?,what reason is there for putting it up?.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I see what you mean,but the price of crude has hovered around $87 for a while now,so when it rises $2 up goe's the prices here,it's strange that it rises so quickly when the crude does,but when it drops notice how slow they are here to comply.

Where is our £700,000 a year Office of Fair Trading,sitting on the last report,and doing nothing,if there is an enquiry into gas and electricity prices in the UK,why hasn't this government done the same?.

How else are the importers going to give them selves a grand xmas bounus? let Tesco bring the fuel in and lets have a realist price for fuel.

Yes but then we would only turn down their planning application because its Tesco and god forbid we gave the residents of the IOM the chance to have affordable living. I have bought EVERYTHING off the internet for birthdays and xmas this year because I cannot afford to pay the shop prices for the kids toys...well I could but they would be disappointed with what that same money bought. When is the IOM Govt going to realise that we will search for a better deal off island if its not provided for here. The money is going off island anyway. Shop local is all very well but let the shops come here and I will. If I could fill up the tank on the WWW I would.

A price war would be most welcome please!

How else are the importers going to give them selves a grand xmas bounus? let Tesco bring the fuel in and lets have a realist price for fuel.

Yes but then we would only turn down their planning application because its Tesco and god forbid we gave the residents of the IOM the chance to have affordable living. I have bought EVERYTHING off the internet for birthdays and xmas this year because I cannot afford to pay the shop prices for the kids toys...well I could but they would be disappointed with what that same money bought. When is the IOM Govt going to realise that we will search for a better deal off island if its not provided for here. The money is going off island anyway. Shop local is all very well but let the shops come here and I will. If I could fill up the tank on the WWW I would.

A price war would be most welcome please!

I agree about buying off the internet it's far cheaper and a lot of firms give free postage too,as for a price war,well that is a dream which we wish for in all aspects of manx trade,but it will not be allowed by this government,they like monopolies,ie gas/electric/steam packet/brewery/manx telcom [line rental].

Haven't heard bio-ethanol talked about for a long while?

There doesn't seem many alternatives other than Lpg which if it didn't cost a bomb to fit (its still around the £1000+ mark?) then i'd think about converting for now its put up and shut up i think.

There doesn't seem many alternatives other than Lpg which if it didn't cost a bomb to fit (its still around the £1000+ mark?) then i'd think about converting for now its put up and shut up i think.

you could allways use bio derv thats produced on the island. think its around the £1 a liter mark

you could allways use bio derv thats produced on the island. think its around the £1 a liter mark

Better check your vehicle can run OK on biodiesel - mine doesn't like it.

Better check your vehicle can run OK on biodiesel - mine doesn't like it.

i dont use it. mine dont like it,

Corkills Garage were today Charging £130.9 for Diesel.

Lancaster petrol stations yesterday were charging £121,9!

The OFT a couple of years ago took the stance that a 3pence differential was acceptable , cannot be argued with really, but 9 pence a litre is taking the proverbial wee wee.

These figures are easily verified by any novice with a pc, so why are we paying thousands upon thousands on this useless and obviously toothless government quango?

The OFT a couple of years ago took the stance that a 3pence differential was acceptable , cannot be argued with really, but 9 pence a litre is taking the proverbial wee wee.

These figures are easily verified by any novice with a pc, so why are we paying thousands upon thousands on this useless and obviously toothless government quango?

because we have no competition that is the why and the only reason why.

shipping it is no reason for the price, as the cost per liter is northing.

Not sure on that price you got. but they take the avrage price in the uk, and as we know some places charge 130ppl in the uk that brings the avrage up.

while i complain about these prices myself. the best thing you can do is think how much extra you would pay in say income tax on your earnings if you lived in the uk,

Im sure your prob still a hell of a lot better off living here while paying extra fuel prices.

Theres one thing for sure, if the major fuel supplys have just had a shipment before the price went up. there going to make a preeety penny on that as they will have bought that for the old price.

but thats still horses for courses

The OFT a couple of years ago took the stance that a pence differential was acceptable , cannot be argued with really, but 9 pence a litre is taking the proverbial wee wee.

That's not really the whole picture though is it?

According to www.petrolprices.com diesel in Lancaster today ranges from £1.21.9, to £1.30.9. So we pay the same as the most expensive garage in Lancaster.

Consider that some will be supermarkets selling lower grade fuels, possibly even at a loss, in order to get people onto their sites.

Consider that most will serve many many more motorists in a day than any IOM garage will.

Consider that most are parts of chains of garages buying fuel in massive quantities.

Consider that they don't have the expense of getting the fuel here.

All in, I am surprised that Corkills can match any garage in Lancater at all, and would have expected us to pay more.

Seriously, there are 80 odd thousand people here, covering a relatively low average mileage. Find me another town anywhere with as many petrol stations as we have with a market that size and then compare prices, and you'll be comparing like for like. Otherwise, comparing prices with anywhere is a waste of time.

Unfortunately no one seems prepared to think through the reasons why stuff costs more here, and always assumes everything is a rip off. If there is so much money in it, why don't you and some mates open a garage and undercut all the local forecourts by the 10p per litre you stated? I predict you'd pick up a huge percentage of the local business due to your low price, and still be out of business inside a year.

Archived