Petrol Prices

EORH

heard briefly on Radio 2 beginning of last week that Guernsey had the lowest price per lite at £1.04 for petrol I am assuming. Now thats a big difference and surely they have the same shipping costs and even fewer people to supply?

No VAT?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heard briefly on Radio 2 beginning of last week that Guernsey had the lowest price per lite at £1.04 for petrol I am assuming. Now thats a big difference and surely they have the same shipping costs and even fewer people to supply?

No VAT?

Just have to do more walking you guys makes for a healthier life. :lol:

Haven't heard bio-ethanol talked about for a long while?

There doesn't seem many alternatives other than Lpg which if it didn't cost a bomb to fit (its still around the £1000+ mark?) then i'd think about converting for now its put up and shut up i think.

you could allways use bio derv thats produced on the island. think its around the £1 a liter mark

Sorry was talking about alternatives for petrol not diesel.

Guernsey like Jersey is not part of the EU.They don,t have VAT,they have GST which is 3% at present ( going to 5% middle of next year). If you want really cheap diesel go and live in Gibralter last time I was there in October it was 85p per litre!!!!!

We on the island will always have to pay a premium for product brought in. The question is how much more are we expected to pay. I honestly believe that although the price of fuel is at 3 year high from the heady days just before the bubble burst, we should not be ripped off like we seem to be at the moment.

Just a footnote to person who bought their Christmas presents on line especially the toys have you not heard of TK Maxx (Strand Street Douglas)the choice and price are excellent!!!!!

Manxrav

TK Mxx may well have cheap prices, but you are limited to what they have been able to get cheap, normally end of line stuff, which is fine unless you want specific items.

All my presents came from Amazon, one order more than half the price locally and no need to deal with crappy customer service or brave the cold.

As for petrol prices, when you consider the saving on MoTs, reduced millage ect. the 10p a litre isn't a massive burden.

Guernsey like Jersey is not part of the EU.They don,t have VAT,they have GST which is 3% at present ( going to 5% middle of next year).

Jersey has GST - Guernsey doesn't.

The price in Guernsey would be cheaper still, but they have done away with RoadTax and put a tax on Fuel instead.

price just went up to 90$ a barrel today.

and there not expected to drop any time soon,

add in the way gold and silver is trading at the moment, i would guess its not going to be long till it pops the 100$ mark again as all the signs are there for a bullish oil push which will cause more investors to buy futures in it.

add in the way gold and silver is trading at the moment, i would guess its not going to be long till it pops the 100$ mark again as all the signs are there for a bullish oil push which will cause more investors to buy futures in it.

Oil currently 91$ a barrel and the trend is definately up. If people are unhappy with the price of petrol now just wait and see what the price is in 2 years time.

Gold currently 1405$ and Silver $30 an ounze have benefitted from the devaluing of currencies and low interest rates. Also the price of silver has arguably been artificially held down by market manipulation by the likes of JP Morgan. It is interesting to note that silver is now a rarer commodity than gold and we could well see a significant increase in the price of silver. Gold will continue to rise as well over next 2 years imho.

Oil currently 91$ a barrel and the trend is definately up. If people are unhappy with the price of petrol now just wait and see what the price is in 2 years time.

Gold currently 1405$ and Silver $30 an ounze have benefitted from the devaluing of currencies and low interest rates. Also the price of silver has arguably been artificially held down by market manipulation by the likes of JP Morgan. It is interesting to note that silver is now a rarer commodity than gold and we could well see a significant increase in the price of silver. Gold will continue to rise as well over next 2 years imho.

Interesting article which suggests we could see $100 an ounze for silver at some point in the not too distant future and talks about silver's scarcity and manipulation:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10940641/1/whats-next-for-silver.html

oil/silver/gold go hand in hand.

JP morgon are ment to have done gone 3.3million ounze short on silver. which they dont own any of them.

when the market calls these stocks the price will go sky high and jp morgon could be well gone.

It is widely known that J.P. Morgan (NYSE: JPM) holds a giant short position in silver. Furthermore, some observers are accusing the bank of acting as an agent for the Federal Reserve in the market - every tick higher in the price of silver undermines confidence in the U.S. Dollar. A lower silver price helps keep the relative appeal of the U.S. dollar and other fiat currencies high.

By selling massive amounts of paper silver in the futures market, JPM has been able to suppress the price of the precious metal. It is believed that these short positions are naked (i.e. they are not backed by any physical silver). In fact, reports indicate that JPM is short more paper silver than physically exists in the world."

oil/silver/gold go hand in hand.

JP morgon are ment to have done gone 3.3million ounze short on silver. which they dont own any of them.

when the market calls these stocks the price will go sky high and jp morgon could be well gone.

It is widely known that J.P. Morgan (NYSE: JPM) holds a giant short position in silver. Furthermore, some observers are accusing the bank of acting as an agent for the Federal Reserve in the market - every tick higher in the price of silver undermines confidence in the U.S. Dollar. A lower silver price helps keep the relative appeal of the U.S. dollar and other fiat currencies high.

By selling massive amounts of paper silver in the futures market, JPM has been able to suppress the price of the precious metal. It is believed that these short positions are naked (i.e. they are not backed by any physical silver). In fact, reports indicate that JPM is short more paper silver than physically exists in the world."

It's a fascinating situation re. silver and JPM. There is a big internet campaign encouraging people to buy physical silver and break JPM. It would appear that US authorities are turning a blind eye to JPM's naked shorting which is supposedly illegal! We live in interesting times. I would certainly encourage anyone who has money sitting in the bank earning 1-3% interest to go and buy gold and silver coins/bullion (as long they don't need the cash short term).

I see that with the oil at $91 a barrel[unless its gone up further],the petrol on the Isle of Man has gone up again by another penny a litre,that's 2 pence in 3 days,there's no end to their talents and greed,it has topped the big rise of 2008 of £1.23.9 when oil was $147 a barrel to £1.24.9/1.25.9,mind you its all more money for government in taxes,they are going to need it to pay the new chief secretarys wage rise,and of course their own if they give the civil servants a rise,as they are connected.

I thought the government said via Tony and Allan that we all were one family together and had to tighten our belts as times were hard,also there were going to be cuts to salaries and jobs,[Not their own of course] but everybody else except top people.

I see that with the oil at $91 a barrel[unless its gone up further],the petrol on the Isle of Man has gone up again by another penny a litre,that's 2 pence in 3 days,there's no end to their talents and greed,it has topped the big rise of 2008 of £1.23.9 when oil was $147 a barrel to £1.24.9/1.25.9,mind you its all more money for government in taxes,they are going to need it to pay the new chief secretarys wage rise,and of course their own if they give the civil servants a rise,as they are connected.

I thought the government said via Tony and Allan that we all were one family together and had to tighten our belts as times were hard,also there were going to be cuts to salaries and jobs,[Not their own of course] but everybody else except top people.

Ah so now you are blaming out government for putting the price per barrel of oil up and also implying that the petrol stations shoul keep the price as it is and make a loss. Good thinking there.

Archived