Petrol Prices

EORH

What I don't understand is that the gulf between petrol and diesel is increasing all the time, out a year ago it was the same price and now it's 6p per litre more expensive for diesel over petrol after a steady increase over that period, why is this, why isn't there a constant differential between petrol and diesel.

quite simple.

supply and demand.

more diesel being used than petrol,

Oh right, cheers. Bollox, and I thought I was being smart buying a diesel two years ago!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't understand is that the gulf between petrol and diesel is increasing all the time, out a year ago it was the same price and now it's 6p per litre more expensive for diesel over petrol after a steady increase over that period, why is this, why isn't there a constant differential between petrol and diesel.

quite simple.

supply and demand.

more diesel being used than petrol,

Oh right, cheers. Bollox, and I thought I was being smart buying a diesel two years ago!

the gov were just smarter

I remember when they first had diesel cars which were on the market in any numbers,I said at the time to my workmates that as soon as there are more diesels about than petrol the oil companies will put the price higher than petrol,its the same with gas,if that took off up would go the price.

I'm sure that most of you know that in the rest of Europe diesel prices are cheaper than petrol,its because of the smallholders/farmers who all have diesels,the petrol is for the tourists.

It seems amazing that countries like the UK and Norway who are oil producers have high taxes/prices,but the EU countries who don't produce oil have cheaper prices,then you come to the opec countries who are also oil producers in greater volumes,they have prices for nothing,strange,or is it just greed on the part of the UK.

DIfficulty in delivering fuel due to snow causing shortages seems to be the reason for the price hike in the UK and our prices then knock on from that. But we all know there is always a rise here when lots of visitors are due for race meetings!

i canty take that as a reason.

while maybe in scotland its the reason at the pump,

and the fact most of the oil in the uk gos in pipelines to holding tanks then the snow wont have effected this at all.

theres just a shortage in the scotland at the pumps, not at the depots

I remember when they first had diesel cars which were on the market in any numbers,I said at the time to my workmates that as soon as there are more diesels about than petrol the oil companies will put the price higher than petrol,its the same with gas,if that took off up would go the price.

I'm sure that most of you know that in the rest of Europe diesel prices are cheaper than petrol,its because of the smallholders/farmers who all have diesels,the petrol is for the tourists.

The UK excise duty on diesel is the same as for petrol. Whilst diesel used to be cheaper to refine the oil companies say that the cost of refining the less polluting low sulphur diesel is about the same as for petrol. At the moment diesel drivers have the advantage of better mpg but modern petrol engines are catching up.

In the countries where diesel is cheaper the duties on diesel are lower than for petrol. Is there any particular reason why diesel should have lower excise duty than petrol?

• 2 weeks later...

Cheapest stations within 5 miles of IM4 5BB for Unleaded

124.9p Peel Road Service Station

Peel Road, Douglas, IM1 5EW

Total, 2.49 miles away, last updated on 14 December

Cheapest stations within 5 miles of Darlington for Unleaded

118.9p Shell Woodland Road

Woodland Road, Darlington, DL3 9NQ

Shell, 1.43 miles away, last updated on 18 December

119.9p Tcs Grange Road

Grange Road, Darlington, DL1 5NP

Total, 0.9 miles away, last updated on 19 December

119.9p Morrisons Darlington

North Road, Darlington, DL1 2PY

Morrisons, 1.18 miles away, last updated on 19 December

119.9p Asda Darlington

Whinbush Way, Whinfield District Centre, Darlington, DL1 3RB

Asda, 2.37 miles away, last updated on 18 December

120.9p Morrisons Morton Park

Morton Park Way, Darlington, DL1 4PJ

Morrisons, 3.37 miles away, last updated on 19 December

Cheapest stations within 5 miles of Douglas for Unleaded

122.9p M74 Cairn Lodge Happendon Motorway Service Area

M74 J11-12, Lesmahagow, Lanark, ML11 0JA

Shell, 2.51 miles away, last updated on 18 December

Cheapest stations within 5 miles of Liverpool for Unleaded

119.9p Shell Lairds

New Chester Road, Birkenhead, CH41 9BW

Shell, 2.52 miles away, last updated on 17 December

119.9p Green Lane Service Station

New Chester Road, Birkenhead, CH41 9AZ

Esso, 2.57 miles away, last updated on 19 December

119.9p Anfield Service Station

Oakfield Road, Walton, Liverpool, L4 0UE

Total, 2.64 miles away, last updated on 17 December

119.9p Bootle Service Station

Brewster Street, Kirkdale, Liverpool, L4 3TL

Esso, 3.13 miles away, last updated on 17 December

119.9p Asda Bromborough

Welton Road, Bromborough, Wirral, CH62 3QP

Asda, 3.9 miles away, last updated on 17 December

Morrisons Morecambe 120.9 this morning.

P.S. Has anyone bought heating oil in the last week. UK prices seem to have gone mad because of the cold weather and high demand. As of two days ago Northern Ireland prices appear to have been the lowest in the UK.

NI petrol which has to be shipped in was 121.9/122.9.

The UK excise duty on diesel is the same as for petrol. Whilst diesel used to be cheaper to refine the oil companies say that the cost of refining the less polluting low sulphur diesel is about the same as for petrol. At the moment diesel drivers have the advantage of better mpg but modern petrol engines are catching up.

In the countries where diesel is cheaper the duties on diesel are lower than for petrol. Is there any particular reason why diesel should have lower excise duty than petrol?

Diesel is effectively heating oil with the addition of a lubricant. The reason diesel is going up so much is the increase in the amount of heating oil being used in the domestic market. It is unfair that domestic heating oil and gas are taxed at such a low rate, with motorists effectively subsidusing them.

Diesel is effectively heating oil with the addition of a lubricant. The reason diesel is going up so much is the increase in the amount of heating oil being used in the domestic market. It is unfair that domestic heating oil and gas are taxed at such a low rate, with motorists effectively subsidusing them.

Not quite, domestic heating oil uses 28 sec kerosine/parrafin large commercial heating units use 35 sec red diesel which is the same as road diesel plus the red dye.

Not quite, domestic heating oil uses 28 sec kerosine/parrafin large commercial heating units use 35 sec red diesel which is the same as road diesel plus the red dye.

So effectively the same then. Basically, if you add 10% motor oil to domestic heating oil it will work in a diesel car, except for more recent high tech diesels.

A lot of heavy oils will run in an older diesel engine - even waste engine oil will at a push with a bit of methanol chucked in, but that doesn't make them the same as derv. The fact that you must blend it with a heavier fraction proves the point entirely! The resultant blend will be of a similar viscosity but it's still very different to regular derv.

People using home heating oil aren't being subsidised by motorists at all - the two distillates are not the same and production of one is not at the expense of production capacity of the other.

Diesel is effectively heating oil with the addition of a lubricant.

Is home heating oil 'low sulphur' these days? The excuse of the refiners was that diesel these days has to have more additives to make it low sulphur.

Article here

So effectively the same then. Basically, if you add 10% motor oil to domestic heating oil it will work in a diesel car, except for more recent high tech diesels.

It will run on many things chip fat etc, doesn't make it the same though!

Archived