Petrol Prices

EORH

Corkills Garage were today Charging £130.9 for Diesel.

Lancaster petrol stations yesterday were charging £121,9!

The OFT a couple of years ago took the stance that a pence differential was acceptable , cannot be argued with really, but 9 pence a litre is taking the proverbial wee wee.

These figures are easily verified by any novice with a pc, so why are we paying thousands upon thousands on this useless and obviously toothless government quango?

That's not really the whole picture though is it?

According to www.petrolprices.com diesel in Lancaster today ranges from £1.21.9, to £1.30.9. So we pay the same as the most expensive garage in Lancaster.

Consider that some will be supermarkets selling lower grade fuels, possibly even at a loss, in order to get people onto their sites.

Consider that most will serve many many more motorists in a day than any IOM garage will.

Consider that most are parts of chains of garages buying fuel in massive quantities.

Consider that they don't have the expense of getting the fuel here.

All in, I am surprised that Corkills can match any garage in Lancater at all, and would have expected us to pay more.

Seriously, there are 80 odd thousand people here, covering a relatively low average mileage. Find me another town anywhere with as many petrol stations as we have with a market that size and then compare prices, and you'll be comparing like for like. Otherwise, comparing prices with anywhere is a waste of time.

Unfortunately no one seems prepared to think through the reasons why stuff costs more here, and always assumes everything is a rip off. If there is so much money in it, why don't you and some mates open a garage and undercut all the local forecourts by the 10p per litre you stated? I predict you'd pick up a huge percentage of the local business due to your low price, and still be out of business inside a year.

Sorry but I am on the same website and the highest price shown is £1.24 which is still significantly higher than here,where are you getting your figures from may I ask?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OFT a couple of years ago took the stance that a pence differential was acceptable , cannot be argued with really, but 9 pence a litre is taking the proverbial wee wee.

These figures are easily verified by any novice with a pc, so why are we paying thousands upon thousands on this useless and obviously toothless government quango?

According to www.petrolprices.com diesel in Lancaster today ranges from £1.21.9, to £1.30.9. So we pay the same as the most expensive garage in Lancaster.

Consider that some will be supermarkets selling lower grade fuels, possibly even at a loss, in order to get people onto their sites.

Consider that most will serve many many more motorists in a day than any IOM garage will.

Consider that most are parts of chains of garages buying fuel in massive quantities.

All in, I am surprised that Corkills can match any garage in Lancater at all, and would have expected us to pay more.

Seriously, there are 80 odd thousand people here, covering a relatively low average mileage. Find me another town anywhere with as many petrol stations as we have with a market that size and then compare prices, and you'll be comparing like for like. Otherwise, comparing prices with anywhere is a waste of time.

Unfortunately no one seems prepared to think through the reasons why stuff costs more here, and always assumes everything is a rip off. If there is so much money in it, why don't you and some mates open a garage and undercut all the local forecourts by the 10p per litre you stated? I predict you'd pick up a huge percentage of the local business due to your low price, and still be out of business inside a year.

Sorry but I am on the same website and the highest price shown is £1.24 which is still significantly higher than here,where are you getting your figures from may I ask?

http://www.petrolprices.com/search.html?search=Lancaster%2C+Lancashire

Unleaded Diesel LRP Super LPG

The Highest price in this area: 128.9p 130.9p n/a 134.9p 61.9p

The Average price in this area: 122.1p 125.4p n/a 131.6p 61.9p

The Lowest price in this area: 117.9p 121.9p n/a 124.9p 61.9p

http://www.petrolprices.com/search.html?search=Lancaster%2C+Lancashire

That is a totally ambivilent point of view!( Normal! which most people use) diesel fuel is as per my post: £1.21 lowest-£1.24 Highest FACT.

Are you a member of the quango by any chance?

At least tell the truth as it is.

Better still let others check for themselves

http://www.petrolpri...r%2C+Lancashire

That is a totally ambivilent point of view!( Normal! which most people use) diesel fuel is as per my post: £1.21 lowest-£1.24 Highest FACT.

I think you will find that site is well known as the most accurate and up to date one around so your prices must be wrong

Now I don't mean to be rude, but maybe the fact that you can't read explains why you can't grasp why our fuel costs more.

have a look at the link again, the figures you've just quoted yourself, and see if you can see where you are going wrong.

Now I don't mean to be rude, but maybe the fact that you can't read explains why you can't grasp why our fuel costs more.

have a look at the link again, the figures you've just quoted yourself, and see if you can see where you are going wrong.

City Distance Price Last Update

Shell Lancaster Lancaster 1.45 miles 121.9p 01-12-2010

Asda Lancaster Automat Lancaster 1.71 miles 121.9p 02-12-2010

Morrisons Morecambe Morecambe 4.94 miles 121.9p 02-12-2010

Rylands Service Station Lancaster 0.73 miles 124.9p 02-12-2010

Bowling Green Filling Station Lancaster 1.48 miles 124.9p 02-12-2010

Highest price in area: 126.9p

I Can Read !!

I Can Read !!

Try again. Your own quote previously, and the link posted clearly shows the highest price for diesel, in Lancaster, at 130.9.

It's in your own previous quote!

I Can Read !!

Try again. Your own quote previously, and the link posted clearly shows the highest price for diesel, in Lancaster, at 130.9.

It's in your own previous quote!

This is silly! Normal diesel is as shown above copied 2 minutes ago!

I am fortunate in that I can by virtue of the fact that I travel to the UK on numerous ocasions, can fill up in heysham with great saving, both on arrival and departure.

WE are being well and truly Done.

This is silly! Normal diesel is as shown above copied 2 minutes ago!

I am fortunate in that I can by virtue of the fact that I travel to the UK on numerous ocasions, can fill up in heysham with great saving, both on arrival and departure.

WE are being well and truly Done.

How is it silly? The basis of your complaint is that we are paying more for our fuel. The site you are using for your own data clearly states that in Lancaster diesel costs upto 130.9, the same as Corkills. The garages charging that price accross probably face a simliar set of trading conditions to the garage you are complaining about.

On that basis, far from being silly, it is a fairly fundamental part of your flawed theory that garages over here are all ripping us off.

Just for the record, I wish I paid less for fuel. Combined personal and business costs are thousands and thousands of pounds a year. But, I realise that we are never going to be able to pay the same as you pay in the UK. To think that is ever possible is just mental.

122.9p Peel Road Service Station

Peel Road, Douglas, IM1 5EW

Total, 2.49 miles away, last updated on 26 November

123.9p Milestone Service Station

Peel Road, Douglas, IM1 5ED

Manx, 2.36 miles away, last updated on 28 November

Cheapest stations within 5 miles of Darlington for Unleaded

115.9p Shell Woodland Road

Woodland Road, Darlington, DL3 9NQ

Shell, 1.43 miles away, last updated on 27 November

115.9p Asda Darlington

Whinbush Way, Whinfield District Centre, Darlington, DL1 3RB