General Election 2011 Douglas South

EORH

I noticed KB's first political interview today was dominated by her whinging about the letter she was given when successful, saying it "spoilt her night" because it mentioned in the second paragraph how they would get their pay and pensions.

She didn't say she objected to the pay or pension, or that she wouldn't be claiming either, just that it shouldn't be mentioned in the second paragraph & that it would only reinforce the public perception that they were all on the gravy train. Presumably had she not mentioned it on national radio the public would have been unaware of its contents, so she couldn't have been overly bothered about public perception could she?

Also she can't be really bothered about the pay & pension as she will be collecting both like every other member.

If she really wanted to make a point why doesn't she take a 10% pay cut like Eddie Teare or lobby for a reduction in wages like Phil Gawne? Whinging about the order of paragraphs in a letter seems a fairly fruitless way of changing something which concerns her.

Hopefully it is just because she is new & she'll be more productive once she settles in.

I don't rate the LVP but each to their own, (not aimed at you MB BTW) but I heard that on the radio too today and my first reaction was, the established MHKs will be getting a bit worried now as its only her first week and she has "spilt the beans".

Might not really be that important in the whole scheme of things, its not, but it definitely shows intent, we might not need an expensive FOI Act now, with a few LVP MHKs doing the same, for a lot less cost.

PK is often disregarded/ignored/lampooned because, well, because he is PK, it has been easy for CoMin to rubbish PK as a lone voice and he never really followed things through properly but now with a bigger group, will it be that easy anymore? I don't think so and that is not a bad thing, even though I don't agree with a lot of the LVPs policy's.

I see where you are coming from regards ET and PG wages cut etc but do we know their real personal financial situation? I would guess it is easy for ET to take a 10% cut due to his likely bank pension but have no idea about PG. Their own financial situation makes one hell of a difference to their public stance on their pay, its human nature.

Yes you're dead right there, their own financial situation does make a big difference. It's a difficult one. My own opinion is that MHK's get paid too much but then you've got to be careful no to cause a situation where only rich people can afford to do it.

I also take your point that KB's rant might be a sign of good things to come & agree that spilling the beans could be a good thing. However I think that like PK she should be careful not to critisise or spill the beans just for the sake of it. PK's major fault is that he makes a huge fuss about trivial things that aren't worth making a fuss about, which reduces his credibility when he does fight worthy causes, which he often does.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'spilling the beans' about what though?

In essence, the letter was akin to receiving an appointment letter following applying for a job. Such a letter would contain details of what information you need to give and who to. I really don't see it as anything significant.

Now, speaking honestly here, if I had just put my career on the line, spent 3-4k on an election campaign and in effect had to resign from my old job with immediate effect, I would need to get my pay packet for next month sorted out pdq. More importantly, so would my bank manager.

I hope she concentrates on the bigger issues over the next 5 years.

Êîìïàíèÿ Okidoki ïðåäëàãàåò:

Èçûñêàííûå äåëèêàòåñû òàéñêîé êóõíè.

Òàéñêî-êèòàéñêàÿ åäà.

Áëþäà àçèàòñêèõ êóõîíü.

Êèòàéñêàÿ êóõíÿ:

- äîñòàâêà ïî Êèåâó áåñïëàòíàÿ!

Òàéñêàÿ åäà:

- ðàáîòàåì êðóãëîñóòî÷íî!

Òàéñêî-êèòàéñêàÿ åäà:

- äîñòàâêà îáåäîâ, ëàí÷åé ñ 12:00-15:00.

Âêóñíàÿ òàéñêî-êèòàéñêàÿ åäà:

- çàêàçû ïî òåëåôîíó.

Âðåìÿ äîñòàâêè äî 45-50 ìèíóò.

Bill?

Bill, is that you?

Archived