General Election 2011 Douglas South

EORH

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like "voter apathy" is being blamed for not getting Bill back in as supposedly people thought that Bill would just walk it. Errr yeahhh, sure.

Also given as a reason for Bill's failure is the unions telling people not to vote Cretney so Bill and Kate took a vote each. I reckon that most of Bill Malarkey's votes came from David Cretney's close supporters. David Cretney and Bill Malarkey were like two peas in a pod in the run-up campaign and certainly at the requisition meeting. Their placards were placed almost as close together as the Douglas North Bill and Ben posters.

I am utterly amazed that Bill won't accept that the main reason he got in 5 years ago was because of the Liberal Vannin ticket. He says that he got in despite Liberal Vannin not because of it. Just how arrogant is that? I am not Liberal Vannin but I can certainly spot the elephant in Bill's room. Anyway, he got 5 years on the government gravy train and managed to be their lackey, voting with and/or for them even though, I would suggest, he had little clue what he was actually voting for at times. In return he has had his ego boosted for his actions and it is now back to reality.

In her success, Kate Beecroft has proved herself to be more than capable and she ran a dignified campaign. She will have got many votes on her own account as well as being Lib Van but it has to be said that Kate Beecroft will have got votes from disgruntled people who voted for Liberal Vannnin and Bill Malarkey last time - they wanted a horse and they got a donkey.

I am utterly amazed that Bill won't accept that the main reason he got in 5 years ago was because of the Liberal Vannin ticket. He says that he got in despite Liberal Vannin not because of it. Just how arrogant is that? I am not Liberal Vannin but I can certainly spot the elephant in Bill's room.

In her success, Kate Beecroft has proved herself to be more than capable and she ran a dignified campaign. She will have got many votes on her own account as well as being Lib Van but it has to be said that Kate Beecroft will have got votes from disgruntled people who voted for Liberal Vannnin and Bill Malarkey last time - they wanted a horse and they got a donkey.

I would probably agree with Bill Malarkey as looking at the results, apart from possibly in Onchan, it would not appear that in general the electorate really decided to vote LVP rather they continued to view candidates as individuals. If the public were attracted to the LVP as a whole you would expect to see some consistency in voting patters, however what you appear to have got is the better the LVP candidates the better their result.

I expect KB would have got in whether or not she stood as an LVP as with PK as leader I expect that as many potential voters dettered as are attracted

I think DC would be appalled at any suggestion that he and BM were peas in a pod. BM may have hung onto DC's coat tails to give that impression. Dc's agent complained that wherever they put up posters or placards there was a BM one next to it within 24 hours.

If the unions were actively campaigning against DC and that had the effect suggested it would be DC out, not BM. A dual vote for BM and KB is no vote for DC. I think our electorate with two or three votes is much more sophisticated at tactical voting. DC will have go many plumps. I had BM as a likely candidate to lose from the off.

As for LVP some did well, others not so good. Lets see how the three do, and what they make of this platform to build on fr 2016. After all BM messed that up pretty quickly last time around.

My only real worry with LVP is that the other two will fall out with Peter, or vice versa ( after all he couldn't take the discipline or lack of it in the MLP, and set off on his own) and the man who is pulling the strings is not someone I would like to get into political bed with.

DC got 730 more votes than BM, any way. 2561 people voted and just over half (1398) used both votes. That means 1163 plumped.

When you say 'pulling the strings', care to elaborate? Is this the guy who was behind their election 'strategy'?

I think what needs to happen with the LVP is for one of those other elcted members to become the party leader, not necessarily immediately but in the medium to long term. Ultimately, I see Peter Karran holding back the party from actually becoming a mainstream of the IoM political scene.

Maybe Zac Hall in a few years? He needs some time yet, but Kate is obviously well thought of within the party.

That's an interesting analysis John.

The mention of the Unions was on a Facebook page. DC was not out of course, but his votes were down, so just maybe there is something in it. Nothing significant though.

Lost Login makes a good point. I suppose we can only guess at how KB would have done if she had stood as an Independent, but my guess is that the LVP/Peter Karran ticket well tipped the balance.

What really annoys me is that BM is pig-headely refusing to accept that being a Liberal Vannin candidate got him to Tynwald in the first place. He only beat David Buttery by 44 votes. And as I see it, putting those two guys together as they were in 2006 and BM as an Independent, then Cheeky Boy would have risen head and shoulders above Bill Malarkey. Bill would have been scratching for votes, below the once great Phil Kermode.

Basically, BM got too big for his boots, he thought he was above the Party. But he got 5 years out of it and Bill and Carol have had a blast and lived the political high-life to the full. They have Liberal Vannin to thank for those 5 years.

Noel Cringle, being interviewed on Manx Radio once said of being in Tynwald - it is like being in the best club in the world. Well it certainly is if you keep in with the establishment and don't rock the boat. That is, if your conscience can stand it.

Maybe Bill will take a seat on the Douglas Council next year.

I noticed KB's first political interview today was dominated by her whinging about the letter she was given when successful, saying it "spoilt her night" because it mentioned in the second paragraph how they would get their pay and pensions.

She didn't say she objected to the pay or pension, or that she wouldn't be claiming either, just that it shouldn't be mentioned in the second paragraph & that it would only reinforce the public perception that they were all on the gravy train. Presumably had she not mentioned it on national radio the public would have been unaware of its contents, so she couldn't have been overly bothered about public perception could she?

Also she can't be really bothered about the pay & pension as she will be collecting both like every other member.

If she really wanted to make a point why doesn't she take a 10% pay cut like Eddie Teare or lobby for a reduction in wages like Phil Gawne? Whinging about the order of paragraphs in a letter seems a fairly fruitless way of changing something which concerns her.

Hopefully it is just because she is new & she'll be more productive once she settles in.

DC got 730 more votes than BM, any way. 2561 people voted and just over half (1398) used both votes. That means 1163 plumped.

How do you know that? Is it possible to find that info for other constituencies.

Declan, on the BBC results page you can find the total turn out and then you can find out the number on the Register, that gives you th total number of voters who voted. Then you add up the total number of votes for all the candidates and hey presto. Only works for two seat constituencies. You can only plump in single seaters and you cannot calculate in 3 seaters as there is now way of knowing how many voted for two or three

I noticed KB's first political interview today was dominated by her whinging about the letter she was given when successful, saying it "spoilt her night" because it mentioned in the second paragraph how they would get their pay and pensions.

She didn't say she objected to the pay or pension, or that she wouldn't be claiming either, just that it shouldn't be mentioned in the second paragraph & that it would only reinforce the public perception that they were all on the gravy train. Presumably had she not mentioned it on national radio the public would have been unaware of its contents, so she couldn't have been overly bothered about public perception could she?

Also she can't be really bothered about the pay & pension as she will be collecting both like every other member.

If she really wanted to make a point why doesn't she take a 10% pay cut like Eddie Teare or lobby for a reduction in wages like Phil Gawne? Whinging about the order of paragraphs in a letter seems a fairly fruitless way of changing something which concerns her.

Hopefully it is just because she is new & she'll be more productive once she settles in.

I don't rate the LVP but each to their own, (not aimed at you MB BTW) but I heard that on the radio too today and my first reaction was, the established MHKs will be getting a bit worried now as its only her first week and she has "spilt the beans".

Might not really be that important in the whole scheme of things, its not, but it definitely shows intent, we might not need an expensive FOI Act now, with a few LVP MHKs doing the same, for a lot less cost.

PK is often disregarded/ignored/lampooned because, well, because he is PK, it has been easy for CoMin to rubbish PK as a lone voice and he never really followed things through properly but now with a bigger group, will it be that easy anymore? I don't think so and that is not a bad thing, even though I don't agree with a lot of the LVPs policy's.

I see where you are coming from regards ET and PG wages cut etc but do we know their real personal financial situation? I would guess it is easy for ET to take a 10% cut due to his likely bank pension but have no idea about PG. Their own financial situation makes one hell of a difference to their public stance on their pay, its human nature.

Archived