General Election 2011 Douglas South

EORH

Worrying about a number plate and what kind of car has LV posters on it,will certainly solve the problems the government is in,so who is going to find out what cars Cretney,Malarkey, and supporters are driving?,lets go further,check the cars of the Douglas West,North,East,candidates are driving,I'm sure it's of vast public interest,never mind what their policies are,never mind inflation is 7%,never mind rising prices,never mind that there young people who have never worked,never mind there were cuts in education,a big loss in VAT,problems with the RHA,how shall we handle relations with the UK,they are all just stacked on the shelf,lets find out what cars represent each candidate,then we can vote for the ones with a £500 price tag.

I do not particularly care what car anybody drives but whoever stands it is all about creating an impression to the electorate. If I was standing for election and the majority of my constituents were stuggling to make ends meet I do not think I would endear myself to them if they thought I was driving around in a flash car. Equally if my electorate were wealthy turning up in an old banger would be equally unlikely to garner votes. They were general comments and not meant to take away from the serious issues but I would have thought that anybody seriously seeking election would be trying to ensure they win the elctorates support.

AS for number plates etc then we know very little about those who are standing but if we see candidates or supporters bending rules or being non compliant in their business dealings and that may range from being continually late in filing company returns, parking in parking in a disabled bay, forging proxy votes in may temper your opinion. Yes it should maybe not take away from the big issues but I know little about these people and their attitude and behaviour will to some extent influence my decision on how to cast my vote.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night's election 'debate' was easily the most boring so far. DC was eagerly telling us what a fantastic job he (and the govt he was part of) have done so far and what a wonderful person he is; Malarkey telling us that he's a fabulously efficient individual (even though he had trouble reading from his own script in the introductory bit!) while Katie struggled to make any salient points without being interrupted by the two chauvinists alongside her.

The most telling item was about PR - a subject that's already being debated here with reference to the CYG.

Beeson suggested that the government weren't getting their message over to the public.

Loud howls of protest from the 2 govt apologists - the govt were professional and excellent.

Beeson suggested that the Govt's expensive PR people weren't doing a very good job.

Loud howls of protest from the 2 govt apologists - the PR people were professional and excellent.

So Beeson suggested that they weren't being fed proper info from the govt.

Both incumbents on the back foot.

Hopefully, one of them will be looking for a seat on Douglas Council in the near future.

Worrying about a number plate and what kind of car has LV posters on it,will certainly solve the problems the government is in,so who is going to find out what cars Cretney,Malarkey, and supporters are driving?,lets go further,check the cars of the Douglas West,North,East,candidates are driving,I'm sure it's of vast public interest,never mind what their policies are,never mind inflation is 7%,never mind rising prices,never mind that there young people who have never worked,never mind there were cuts in education,a big loss in VAT,problems with the RHA,how shall we handle relations with the UK,they are all just stacked on the shelf,lets find out what cars represent each candidate,then we can vote for the ones with a £500 price tag.

I do not particularly care what car anybody drives but whoever stands it is all about creating an impression to the electorate. If I was standing for election and the majority of my constituents were stuggling to make ends meet I do not think I would endear myself to them if they thought I was driving around in a flash car. Equally if my electorate were wealthy turning up in an old banger would be equally unlikely to garner votes. They were general comments and not meant to take away from the serious issues but I would have thought that anybody seriously seeking election would be trying to ensure they win the elctorates support.

AS for number plates etc then we know very little about those who are standing but if we see candidates or supporters bending rules or being non compliant in their business dealings and that may range from being continually late in filing company returns, parking in parking in a disabled bay, forging proxy votes in may temper your opinion. Yes it should maybe not take away from the big issues but I know little about these people and their attitude and behaviour will to some extent influence my decision on how to cast my vote.

I don't think that the public are that naive to actually look at what car that person is in and then decide to vote accordingly,so what you want is them to deceive the voter,by driving a flash car in the well off,home owner areas,and drive a ordinary ford or Vauxhall,Honda,Toyota,etc in the poorer areas,so who is bending the rules?who is being non-compliant in their business dealings?,who is parking in disabled bays?,or forging proxy votes?.

You say you know little of these people,what exactly do you not know?,David Cretney has been an MHK since 1985,owns Moochers in Strand Street,Bill Malarkey is an Electrical engineer,and has done one 5 year term as a MHK,Kate Beecroft is a Braddan Commissioner,and a Company Director,a look at the General Election website will give out all the info you need to know about every candidate standing in all areas.

But just to be sure,why not ring them up,they will be only too glad to give you any info you require.

I don't think that the public are that naive to actually look at what car that person is in and then decide to vote accordingly,so what you want is them to deceive the voter,by driving a flash car in the well off,home owner areas,and drive a ordinary ford or Vauxhall,Honda,Toyota,etc in the poorer areas,so who is bending the rules?who is being non-compliant in their business dealings?,who is parking in disabled bays?,or forging proxy votes?.

You say you know little of these people,what exactly do you not know?,David Cretney has been an MHK since 1985,owns Moochers in Strand Street,Bill Malarkey is an Electrical engineer,and has done one 5 year term as a MHK,Kate Beecroft is a Braddan Commissioner,and a Company Director,a look at the General Election website will give out all the info you need to know about every candidate standing in all areas.

But just to be sure,why not ring them up,they will be only too glad to give you any info you require.

People have a tendency to stick to their own. You do not tend to find Eton and Oxbridge educated conservatives elected in the poorer working class areas of the UK and likewise you do not tend to get manual workers under the labour banner getting elected in the shires.

Nobody will just look at a car x or Y is driving and make a decision on how to vote just based on that, but lots of little things influence how you come across electorate. My point is that whoever you are I would expect you would look at those and do as much as you can to give a positive image. You want to be elected then why do something that may even slightly reduse that chance.

As for knowing the individuals, there is information out there but does that tell you what sort of character a person is. Even if it does when you decide to vote for an MHK their are loads of bits of info you add up and influence you slightly one way or the other. I do not care what car a person drives but I care that if I see it is about it is legal. If it is not it may potentially affect my opinion about an individual. If they run a business and you pick up that they are not current with filings, pay creditors etc it all effects your opinion. I am not accusing any of those currently standing, in this and previous post I was trying to be generic so not to favour any particular candidate.

I was just trying to point out that I am surprised that any candidate would not try and ensure they were being careful to ensure that they could not be picked up on or challenged on such issues. e.g. If you are in arreas with a simple filing is in not easy for a challenger to question if you have not time to keep current in your wn affairs how are you going to have time to deal with consituents, government papers etc

Bill Malarkey is an Electrical engineer,

He has a City and Guilds. That does not make him an Engineer in my book, certainly not a professional.

As a politician he has made a enough gaffs that he should just go back to tinkering with kitchen appliances or whatever. As a politician he is way out of his depth.

He has a City and Guilds. That does not make him an Engineer in my book, certainly not a professional.

As a politician he has made a enough gaffs that he should just go back to tinkering with kitchen appliances or whatever. As a politician he is way out of his depth.

Out of interest what major gaffs has he made? I have to admit that he would not be my choice as an MHK and certainly you get the impression he might struggle, but I have been slightly surprised by his performances in the interview and debate on MR. I thought he would really be shown up but in fact did OK in my view.

Out of interest what major gaffs has he made? I have to admit that he would not be my choice as an MHK and certainly you get the impression he might struggle, but I have been slightly surprised by his performances in the interview and debate on MR. I thought he would really be shown up but in fact did OK in my view.

The issue is South Douglas is straightforward; Cretney is home and dry so can Beecroft take Malarkey? Frankly it's difficult to know. There doesn't appear to be disaffection on the patch for him the way there is for Crookall in Peel and as has been said you can't point to a serious cock-up made by Malarkey even though he isn't especially dynamic or bright. My reading is that his defection from LVP post-election last time has pissed off LVP (obviously) but the electorate may well have voted for him and not the Party. Added to which Beecroft looks just too cynical....3 attempts at Keys, 3 different constituencies. To unseat him I consider that she'd have to be seen as demonstrably better than Malarrkey via her public pronouncements and radio interviews etc. Presently, she isn't putting him in the shade. If she is to be elected I think she has to...and time is running out. Perhaps their respective manifestos will decide the issue, but if I was forced to predict the outcome now, I'd say that he'll hold her off... but not comfortably.

Just driven through Farmhill and there are posters everywhere for Cretney and Malarkey but I saw nothing for Beecroft. If candidates have come this far they should at least make an effort to get their name out there

You wait! There'll be plenty...

...just as soon as they've finished scraping them off the walls in Douglas East and Middle! :P

There are posters all over the place now for all three,the only thing missing is Manifestos,the Liberal Vannin one is on the website and can be downloaded ok,but nothing from Cretney or Malarkey,maybe they are so confident that they don't need to call or send manifestos anymore,well the saying "The early bird gets the worm",no offence Kate.

The issue is South Douglas is straightforward; Cretney is home and dry so can Beecroft take Malarkey? There doesn't appear to be disaffection on the patch for him the way there is for Crookall in Peel

A weakly contested seat means Cretney with all his failings is a given, though Malarkey only narrowly beat Buttery at the last election and that was based on Liberal Vannin support and not on his endearing personality or razor sharp wit.

His very quick departure from Liberal Vannin post election showed him as quite calculating though this would give him too much credit, he says that he did not realise that as a Liberal Vannin candidate he was not to take part in Government, and so he ditched them just so he could get his nose in the trough. He has made some noises on pretty obvious issues like open election of the chief minister, but does come across as just another loud mouth buffoon type of MHK, as such most voters I know in South Douglas will be glad to see the back of him.

??

The Examiner states Tuesday 27th September.

though Malarkey only narrowly beat Buttery at the last election and that was based on Liberal Vannin support and not on his endearing personality or razor sharp wit.

Buttery should have asked for a recount. It is not unknown in recent elections for a recount to be called and a fuck up found out, with the wrong candidate initially called as winner.

In this case there was a 44 vote difference. It only takes 22 votes to be put on the wrong pile...

Buttery should have asked for a recount. It is not unknown in recent elections for a recount to be called and a fuck up found out, with the wrong candidate initially called as winner.

In this case there was a 44 vote difference. It only takes 22 votes to be put on the wrong pile...

Er...wouldn't that mean a tie?

Archived