General Election 2011 Douglas South

EORH

And how is a tie decided? Apparently with the candidates drawing straws.

I read up on this a while ago, from the Representation of the people Act.

Not too sure...but from memory I'm pretty sure they have to have a fight to the death in an arena with Star Trek type music in the background using bat'leths.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too sure...but from memory I'm pretty sure they have to have a fight to the death in an arena with Star Trek type music in the background using bat'leths.

I'd watch that...

Almost correct. The venue is actually the Summerland site, the music is Davy Knowles' version of Land of Our Birth and the weapons are stale kippers. Its tradition, you see.

The meeting on Tuesday 27Th September at Douglas Golf Club will finally sort out who is going to win these two seats,what will stand out in the discussions will be if Malarkey and Cretney band together like they did on Manx Radio,people should question the last tenants on their record,all we are going to hear from them is how everything was wonderful under the Brown Government,they certainly won't highlight all the faults.

On perusing their manifestos,and looking back on the previous ones from the 2006 election,there are a few things which should have been implemented,but nothing was done,and the excuse of there was no support won't wash,in a couple of cases the power was there.

Well EORH, in answer, Bill Malarkey and David Cretney were well banded together and even perchance wearing similar colour shirts and ties, you know how these things go. At one stage they spontaneously stood up in unison to answer a point raised by Kate Beecroft and this twee little performance got a really big laugh and a bit of a deriding cheer from the audience and even Mssrs Cretney and Malarkey laughed, but I'm not sure they knew why. There was a good sized audience of over 75. I think the chair guy was in with Bill and Dave too. Well actually, he was. Kate Beecroft did well, she had these three guys on her left who at times seemed banded kinda against her, and then also four of the rather formidable Billy Blondes sat right on the front row in front of her. They knew how to 'throw daggers' at folk in the audience who dared to try and put their Bill on the spot. But Kate Beecroft did well, after that scenario, I reckon she could handle just about anything.

On the Isle of Man, of course we have to have government figures of some form and as far as this is concerned, David Cretney is home and dry. Bill Malarkey is now a died in the wool Government-come-what-may follower and I'm not sure that it is healthy for the Island to have just another yes man in the House of Keys hanging off David Cretney's coat-tails.

For Douglas South and the Isle of Man I think the electorate will do well to put David Cretney and Kate Beecroft in. Sorry Bill, but (for what it is worth) that is really what I believe. I am sure most of your votes will come from David Cretney supporters.

Just an additional thought. David Cretney has this very accentuated puzzled look where he furrows his brow and he did this sometimes when Kate Beecroft was speaking. Then I noticed he did it other times. I think it is when he is, like, just thinking.

Well here goes,Douglas South there is our lovable DJ Dave who runs the buses and trains amongst other things,and Bill of the Chief Ministers Drugs and Alcohol Strategy,and a former Lib Van member,now the contender for a seat Kate who is a Lib Van member.

What can we say about the efforts of the former two over the last 5 years,well they have been in the news lately,one more than the other,but now this forum as one of the election areas is open to comment,did the the sitting members do well or have they blotted their copybook in eyes of the voters of Douglas South.

good meeting tought beecroft did well time will tell

Was it a bleach off at the Ok Corral?

Kate vs Billys Blondes........Pat there with the Just For Him backup?

To be fair, and I don't mean this personally, just being honest, as I was sat at the back I couldn't tell which were daughters and which was the wife (all I know now is that Kate Beecroft is a far tougher person than I am).

Kate gets my vote just for sussing out that the crappy microphone needed to be held away from her. David Cretney, being a DJ and all that should have know what to do with the troublesome thing, but he was very good at speaking without the microphone.

Well EORH, in answer, Bill Malarkey and David Cretney were well banded together and even perchance wearing similar colour shirts and ties, you know how these things go. At one stage they spontaneously stood up in unison to answer a point raised by Kate Beecroft and this twee little performance got a really big laugh and a bit of a deriding cheer from the audience and even Mssrs Cretney and Malarkey laughed, but I'm not sure they knew why. There was a good sized audience of over 75. I think the chair guy was in with Bill and Dave too. Well actually, he was. Kate Beecroft did well, she had these three guys on her left who at times seemed banded kinda against her, and then also four of the rather formidable Billy Blondes sat right on the front row in front of her. They knew how to 'throw daggers' at folk in the audience who dared to try and put their Bill on the spot. But Kate Beecroft did well, after that scenario, I reckon she could handle just about anything.

On the Isle of Man, of course we have to have government figures of some form and as far as this is concerned, David Cretney is home and dry. Bill Malarkey is now a died in the wool Government-come-what-may follower and I'm not sure that it is healthy for the Island to have just another yes man in the House of Keys hanging off David Cretney's coat-tails.

For Douglas South and the Isle of Man I think the electorate will do well to put David Cretney and Kate Beecroft in. Sorry Bill, but (for what it is worth) that is really what I believe. I am sure most of your votes will come from David Cretney supporters.

Just an additional thought. David Cretney has this very accentuated puzzled look where he furrows his brow and he did this sometimes when Kate Beecroft was speaking. Then I noticed he did it other times. I think it is when he is, like, just thinking.

Yes I was at that meeting too,I think one mistake that Billy Boy made, which David didn't, was try to interrupt Kate,she told him, "I let you speak,so let me," the audience made a favourable noise at that moment.

The question on would the candidates accept a 25% wage cut brought a flush to the cheeks of the sitting tenants,Bill's reaction was,"if the others,and the CS take one he would follow suit",somebody shouted why not take a lead and do it first,there were comments also about MHKs getting £80 Grand a year,David denied this,somebody shouted out,"If you pay peanuts you get monkeys",then said,"All MHKs should get a pay rise",the audience didn't like that comment.

Overall it was a good meeting,but most comments from Dave and Bill were, in my manifesto,I said etc,all success, no failures were admitted,so if the band of brothers statement of facts about the last government are to be believed,everything is wonderful,and we are a success in all things,a big stack of reserves,so carry on spending.

He has a City and Guilds. That does not make him an Engineer in my book, certainly not a professional.

As a politician he has made a enough gaffs that he should just go back to tinkering with kitchen appliances or whatever. As a politician he is way out of his depth.

Out of interest what major gaffs has he made? I have to admit that he would not be my choice as an MHK and certainly you get the impression he might struggle, but I have been slightly surprised by his performances in the interview and debate on MR. I thought he would really be shown up but in fact did OK in my view.

The bye-election was well underway to fill the seat in Douglas East after Phil Braidwood was elevated to the Legislative Council. At a subsequent Keys sitting to fill the still vacant remaining seat in LegCo, Brenda Cannell was nominated. Bill Malarkey stood up in a panic and asked Mr Speaker might this mean that the ongoing Bye-Election in Douglas East would now become first two past the post rather than the just the one! There were some groans from politicians in the House and in the Public Gallery, I can tell you. Frankly it was embarrassing.

There is a schoolboy logic to what he was saying, but any politician who had a clue what was going on knew that nominations had been received and closed and the election was underway. Bill Malarkey was just showing how stupid he can be at times.

And this is the guy who speaks about a private members bill to have Legislative Council popularly elected! I don't think he has an awful lot of knowledge about the subject, he has just found a popular bandwagon.

He also believes that politicians run departments. They don't. The executive run departments.

The guy comes over as a fool at times, I have to say. And David Cretney wants him as his running pal.

I despair.

Archived