General Election 2011 Douglas South

EORH

Just a quick question here. I have a few issues which I have been looking forward to putting to our prospective candidates in Douglas South, but to date none have been around to call at our property. How long should I wait before I contact the candidates direct to raise these issues?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick question here. I have a few issues which I have been looking forward to putting to our prospective candidates in Douglas South, but to date none have been around to call at our property. How long should I wait before I contact the candidates direct to raise these issues?

Around 3am on September 28th,you will be very welcome at that time,sorry,only joking,one has been around getting his posters in the windows,the only thing is,they are putting new windows in Heather Crescent,so they could end up in the incinerator,the answer to your question is NOW,don't give them a minutes peace,because once they are in office,you will get an answerphone etc.

Guest ravabelli

Isn't Bill in the OFT along with Henderson? Like to hear his thoughts on supression of the Steam Packet investigation that we paid for. Well, Bill any thoughts? Do the taxpayers have a right to see this report two years in the making and decide for themselves if it is not relevant?

Hello Samhandwich I am getting around please Email me and I will happily call or respond to any questions.......Dave hedgehog the Department I am currently responsible for is DCCL the one which had to make significant savings and has done so! (Before the Election).

I too, in East Dlas, have not met any of the candidates but that is because I am not in when they call. That can hardly be blamed on the candidates!

While DC cannot be sure of regaining his seat, there could be a split of the votes which will see him losing out in second preference votes, he is a valuable MHK of a left leaning character who will be very necessary in deciding which parts of our society will suffer the most from the 'cuts' which are surely heading our way.

There are other candidates in South Dlas whom you can vent your spleen on if you so desire.

That is precicely the point that I am making.

There are those in our Society that can look after theirselves, you and I perhaps? and there are those who need some help from their elected representatives, which is precisely the reason that we elect these people, who need some help in looking after best interests and that is where the likes of DC comes into his metre.....

In looking after his constituents.

A good chunk of his publicly housed constituents have outgrown the need, but not the desire, for assistance from other taxpayers, to the detriment of more deserving causes. But David Cretney won't do a thing that will rock the boat for those people.

If you've got a nice new car, you don't deserve to have your accommodation subsidised by me

That is precicely the point that I am making.

There are those in our Society that can look after theirselves, you and I perhaps? and there are those who need some help from their elected representatives, which is precisely the reason that we elect these people, who need some help in looking after best interests and that is where the likes of DC comes into his metre.....

In looking after his constituents.

I see where you are coming from, honestly I do.

However, what happens if (or should that be when) the money runs out? I know we get polarised views on here, but the reality is that unless difficult choices in relation to reducing government expenditure are taken now, then the time will come when there will not be any element of choice involved.

Effectively, we will not be in control of our own destiny and the money well will be completely dry. So how will that be of benefit to his constituents?

Now, in fairness to DC, he seems to have been the only Minister involved in actual redundancies (although you could argue he created the monster in the first place), but as he alludes to above, he has done it - and prior to an election too.

There are many in social housing who could look after themselves, but choose not to. That is detrimental to the rest of society and perhaps more importantly, those who are genuinely in need but cannot access it due to stock being occupied by those who do not truly need it.

I would bring in both means testing for social housing and an Island rent control mechanism for the private rental market. Now, can you see an MHK with severla thousand voters in council houses even mooting the idea of them being re-assessed?

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen a large white jag, possibly with dodgy number plate, emblazoned with Vote Kate Beechcroft parked by the exit of the Nunnery on Old Castletown Road. I am not sure that parading about in a large car is the best way to endear yourself to some of the voters of South Douglas. It does not necessarily give the impression you are one of them

I predict that no MHK with a sizeable public housing stock within their constituency will be willing to take the really difficult choices which need to be taken over the life of the next parliament.

When the election is over and everybody is sorted out into their departments by the new CM,what happens in any situation where checks, and fact finding mission ideas raise their heads into the Council House matters,it's usually a MHK/Minister who has no Council Houses in his/her constituency that starts the ball rolling,looking back in history shows that if a MHK is fire proof on a subject,he is the one given the poison chalice.

As we are on the subject of Council Housing again,which a lot of people on seem to take a delight in questioning whether there should be a means test or not,well I think a lot of people in Council Houses wouldn't mind a means test,if only to get the rest of the population off their backs.

Some on here think the Corpy put new kitchens and bathrooms in every ten years or so,not so,I know a lot of people who have had to put their own in,paying probably on the drip,even Upvc front doors,just take a look at the picture the other week in the local press with the leading councillor David Christian in front of the Anagh Coar houses with the state of their house fronts,council neglect it's called,they get 30% of the rent money they collect to have a rolling program of repairing,[something a MHK asked me at the last election]I suggested he look at the houses.

Now if this was a private landlord acting like this,they would be taken to court under Section 14 of the Local Government Act,by strangely the corpy,not the government,sort of pot calling the kettle black.

Just seen a large white jag, possibly with dodgy number plate, emblazoned with Vote Kate Beechcroft parked by the exit of the Nunnery on Old Castletown Road. I am not sure that parading about in a large car is the best way to endear yourself to some of the voters of South Douglas. It does not necessarily give the impression you are one of them

So, you complain council house tenants have big cars in their drives, (council houses with drives?) say that DS has a lot of council houses and when one of KBs supporters parks his car outside his house it's wrong?

And what's your thing about "dodgy number plates" FFS?

If it's parked then how is it "parading about"?

If that bothers you just wait until you see the battle bus parked outside PKs in Onchan, you're going to need oxygen.

So, you complain council house tenants have big cars in their drives, (council houses with drives?) say that DS has a lot of council houses and when one of KBs supporters parks his car outside his house it's wrong?

And what's your thing about "dodgy number plates" FFS?

If it's parked then how is it "parading about"?

If that bothers you just wait until you see the battle bus parked outside PKs in Onchan, you're going to need oxygen.

I am not aware I have complained that council house tenants have big cars in their drives or mentioned that DS has a lot of council houses.

II may have been wrong to presume the cars was KB's, but it is not a car that is generally parked where it was last night, and this morning but my point stands, if you are trying to entice people to vote for you, whoever you are and whoever you stand for, is driving around or being presumed to drive around in a car that many of your constituents might deem to be ostentatious the best way to win votes.

e.g. if a potential politician knocks on my door and I am complaining about making ends meet, being able to get on the housing ladder, the state of private sector rented accommodation etc do you think that if they have just stepped out of an expensive Ferrari and start giving me the flannel that they understand my situation I will believe them

As for number plates I would hope that all candidates demonstrate that they require of themselves and their supporters compliance with all IoM laws. If they feel they do not then I worry about what airs and graces they may give themselves if elected!

Archived