General Election 2011 Douglas South

EORH

LVP's policys are better than Malarkey's & Kate is the best of The LVP candidates. I agree with Amadeus. (for once)

I'll have to sit down after reading that :)

I agree with Declan's way of putting it - Beecroft & LVP are the better choice and I sincerely hope the rest of Doolish South see it the same way, although no doubt Billy Boy will pull every trick in the book to keep his seat on the gravy train - beats fixing washing machines for a living I guess.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LVP's policys are better than Malarkey's & Kate is the best of The LVP candidates. I agree with Amadeus. (for once)

Malarkey and his policies as a one man band can be treated as an irrelevance. That is not case with the LVP where they could end up with a block vote.

I do not live in Douglas South and I have to admit that if Beecroft was an independent then I might vote as Amadeus has set out. With Beecroft though standing as an LVP it potentially alters the parameters as I really worry about what will arise if PK thinks he has a mandate and a block vote.

Is that going to happen though?

He's got one guaranteed -

Himself

Then two serious chances -

Kate

Other Onchan candidate playing piggyback.

After that a split vote in Middle or Rushen might give him a longshot.

Is that going to happen though?

He's got one guaranteed -

Himself

Then two serious chances -

Kate

Other Onchan candidate playing piggyback.

After that a split vote in Middle or Rushen might give him a longshot.

I do note know and therein lies my concern. Previously it was easy to vote for A to keep B out because as an Independent A was likely to have liitle influence. Now party politics are about it gets a bit more complicated as potentially you are increasing the authority of a party which may have a level of influence. Giving A a protest vote when they will have liitle voice is easy, giving A that protest vote when they may have some potential level of influence is more difficult.

Even if the Liberal Vannin had a policy of doubling the price of beer I'd still vote for Kate Beecroft over Malarkey.

Please note that the Liberal Vannin Party is not Peter Karran.

I am not a member but I have been to one or two of their meetings over the years. It is amazingly democratic and everyone appears to have a voice if they have a concern, from a teenage mother who has a problem with social housing to a highly intelligent and successful business executive (and, it has to be said, many sorts in between). Their 'Summer Conference' is coming up and anyone with an interest in Manx Politics would find it worthwhile going along. Erm, unless you're one of the other politicians or Bill Malarkey. Actually, I do believe other politicians do go along and might speak on a subject that is in their area of interest.

Quirky.... vader....Stowell....in Onchan I am struggling with at the moment.

Beecroft . . . .Malarkey..... in Douglas South is a nice easy one.

While not particulaly supporting Malarkey over Beecroft, his reasons for resigning were not totally unreasonable.

He wanted more of a say in Govt matters and it is too easy to describe this as 'Gravy Training', wouldn't we want all our MHks to be fully involved in the running of our Country?

If it comes down to a bitching battle, he could do serious damage to LVPs credibility, just because he left the party does not mean that he changed or ditched the political principles that took him to the party in the first place. His argument was that he could not do his job as an MHK properly from within the party.

So his resignation was possibly laudable?

While not particulaly supporting Malarkey over Beecroft, his reasons for resigning were not totally unreasonable.

He wanted more of a say in Govt matters and it is too easy to describe this as 'Gravy Training', wouldn't we want all our MHks to be fully involved in the running of our Country?

If it comes down to a bitching battle, he could do serious damage to LVPs credibility, just because he left the party does not mean that he changed or ditched the political principles that took him to the party in the first place. His argument was that he could not do his job as an MHK properly from within the party.

So his resignation was possibly laudable?

What you mean is, his wife told him to.

Rats! You want that in Euros or Manx Pounds?

Look, it's simple. He signed up to the LV beliefs and then found that he could not do his job because of his association with PK/LV, so, when the Executive could not come up with an acceptable solution in two months, he resigned.

He did not necessarily change his political colours, he may still support all the LV beliefs so why should he resign his seat? LV do not promise to resign their seats if they change their manifesto promises.

In the Govt BM has performed a reasonable role,though I do not agree with all. He has tried to introduce 'reforms' and for all our accusations of his being the CMs lapdog, he was castigated sneeringly by TB for his attempt to have an elected CM.

No more fiver claims please, I need all I can get for my posters!

I don't think Bill Malarkey would have got anywhere near the same amount of votes on his own ticket. In which case we would have had our very own celebrity cook in the House of Keys right now, from Douglas South. Bill joined Lib Van like the rest of them, to get a leg up, on the coat tails of one of the most popular MHKs over the past 25 years. Once in and over that first difficult hurdle for an unknown with no political history whatsoever, he thought he could put himself around a bit to make a name for himself. I'll give Bill his due, like his missus, he has ambition.

Either way, there's going to be an interesting run-up to the election in Douglas South.

• 3 weeks later...

beecroft appears to be quite popular currently

after listening to her interview on talking heads the other day, heaven only knows why.....

another "dreamer" who has no concept of reality, it appears. talks alot but says absolutly NOTHING

though to be fair to her it may have just been an offday...

• 3 weeks later...

Please note - it now possible to say anything you like about Malarkey on here.

The reason is that he clearly and distinctly (well, apart from a slight lisp) stated on Manx Radio last night that he takes no notice of any local forums and doesn't bother to even look at them any more. :P

Other than that, he had nothing whatsoever of interest to say.

I don't think Bill Malarkey would have got anywhere near the same amount of votes on his own ticket. In which case we would have had our very own celebrity cook in the House of Keys right now, from Douglas South. Bill joined Lib Van like the rest of them, to get a leg up, on the coat tails of one of the most popular MHKs over the past 25 years. Once in and over that first difficult hurdle for an unknown with no political history whatsoever, he thought he could put himself around a bit to make a name for himself. I'll give Bill his due, like his missus, he has ambition.

Either way, there's going to be an interesting run-up to the election in Douglas South.

Bill's election was influenced no doubt by PK's support, remember PK is a south douglas man himself with strong family and local ties. If the PK election machine is supporting Kate in south douglas I wouldn't like to bet against her getting in. Bill made a poor choice between Lib Van and a business class travel ticket.

Bill's election was influenced no doubt by PK's support, remember PK is a south douglas man himself with strong family and local ties. If the PK election machine is supporting Kate in south douglas I wouldn't like to bet against her getting in. Bill made a poor choice between Lib Van and a business class travel ticket.

I listened to and he came across much better than I expected. I admit I did have low expectations and was almost expecting a car crash of the interview.

I thought the reason he gave about why he left the LVP was interesting. He stated that the LVP changed their rules so that you as a member he could not take a ministerial role. I missed whether this it was after he stood or after he was elected but the interviwer made it clear that he had reviwed what Malarkey had said at the last election and he had clearly said he would take a ministerial role if offered.

I also thought it interesting what he said about refusing to sign contract if he thought a better deal could be done. That might ring an accord with a few voters now funds are tight but in terms of answering what difference have you done as an MHK to be able to I respond and say I refused to sign X it was renegotiated and we saved £X I thought it was a much stronger reply than the normal waffle we hear

Archived