General Election 2011 - Michael

Declan

Mr Heavey - in the style of Dragon's Den - Let me tell you where I am. I wouldn't have any confidence in you after what you've said so far.....I'm out.

Good job it’s not a game show then isn’t it? By the way, the phone lines will only open after we have seen all three contestants. Calls will be charged at 50p from a normal BT landline and mobiles may cost more. Please do not call now as your vote will not be counted and you may still be charged. :D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with a lot of what you say Jim. So far, I've had Alf Cannan call round, and talk a surprising amount of commonsense. Not a peep from Mr Heavey or Mr Talbot yet...I suggest they pull their fingers out.

To be honest, I think that voting should be mandatory, but there should also be a box under the candidates marked "none of the above" if you had no confidence in any of the candidates. At least people would be able to express their opinions entirely, rather than feeling compelled to vote for the best of the worst, or not bothering to turn out.

Mr Heavey - in the style of Dragon's Den - Let me tell you where I am. I wouldn't have any confidence in you after what you've said so far.....I'm out.

Voting should be mandatory !! Vote Social Security you know it makes sense...Where do these people come from ?

Why should voting be mandatory? Is it not a democratic right to not have to choose?

Although you could always spoil your paper.

Good job its not a game show then isnt it? By the way, the phone lines will only open after we have seen all three contestants. Calls will be charged at 50p from a normal BT landline and mobiles may cost more. Please do not call now as your vote will not be counted and you may still be charged. :D

I am glad to see a potential future politician reacting like a child. I'm out as well.

Good job it’s not a game show then isn’t it? By the way, the phone lines will only open after we have seen all three contestants. Calls will be charged at 50p from a normal BT landline and mobiles may cost more. Please do not call now as your vote will not be counted and you may still be charged. :D

I am glad to see a potential future politician reacting like a child. I'm out as well.

Too bad. I'll miss you.

As a new person to the Isle of Man I am amazed by the comments on all of these forums; noone seems to have a good word to say about anyone

You're awful.

Just kidding. Not really, we are just very depressed at our island being run into the ground by a bus full of people that would be under statutory insane asylum care if they lived in the likes of the UK. They are the equivalant calibre of UK borough councillors running UK national affairs here, and have wasted several £billion over the last 10 years.

Paul, I read through your leaflet which dropped through my door recently. When I came to the passage which said "If you believe that the people of Kirk Michael, Ballaugh and Jurby are best represented by a Manx-born, life-long Michael resident, I am your man.", is about the time that you lost any chance of me voting for you.

The fact that you seem to think being born on the Island automatically makes you more suitable for office than a non-native Manx resident, no matter what their qualities or qualifications, leads me to suppose that, if elected, you will automatically treat the more than 50% of the island's population - who would be paying your wages - as second-class citizens. As someone who is not Manx born and has 'only' been resident in Michael for 10 years, I find this offensive.

Is that your only selling point - you were born in the IOM and have never lived anywhere else? I happen to believe that the best person for the job is the best person for the job, irrespective of where they were born or raised.

It says a lot for the state of Manx politics that the only contenders for the constituency are a religious fundamentalist, a borderline racist and someone trying to ride on his dad's coattails.

Bloody weni

Any one seen a manifesto yet ?

I'm in Michael. I had Alf Cannon's leaflet posted and he has called around as well as attending the Michael Fun Day. David Talbot also has called around and left a link to his website. Saw or heard nothing from Paul Heavey despite living within spitting distance.

I'm in Michael. I had Alf Cannon's leaflet posted and he has called around as well as attending the Michael Fun Day. David Talbot also has called around and left a link to his website. Saw or heard nothing from Paul Heavey despite living within spitting distance.

Be fair now - he's got a car with some stickers on it parked on Douglas Road corner. What more do you want?

As a new person to the Isle of Man I am amazed by the comments on all of these forums; noone seems to have a good word to say about anyone

As anyone who has lived here all their life will tell you: that's what Manx Forums is like.

If you look through the published government accounts you'll see that we do pretty well in comparison to almost any other country you care to look at. Decent social security, education, health care, etc. No national debt. Unemployment running at around 2% even in the current global economic climate. But all anyone talks about on here is how rubbish we all are!!!

Archived