General Election 2011 - Michael

Declan

Constituency Details - Michael

With the Sitting Member David Cannan retiring, Michael is guaranteed a new face. Contenders declared so far are evangelist David Talbot who was unsuccessfully nominated for a seat on the Legislative Council, outgoing member David Cannan's son Alf, and taxi driver and former forum regular Paul Heavey.

Manx Radio

Wikipedia

2006 Election

Candidates Declared

Alf Cannan

Personal Website

Manx Radio Page

Paul Heavey

MF User Name: Paul H

Manx Radio Page

David Talbot ManxPrayer Net & Patrick Commissioner

Personal Website

Manx Radio Page

@DavidJTIOM

==================

Note I'll try and keep updating this post with links and information as the thread and the election develops.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be sorry to see David Cannan go - one of the best of a bad bunch. I'm not that impressed by any of the contenders for the post but David Talbot seems to be at the wacky end of wacky, based on the links supplied - ManxPrayer.net has the following ludicrous nonsense on it...

Our vision is to see renewal on the Island leading to Kingdom principles being brought to all aspect of Island Life as inspired by the teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry. In His prayer given to the disciples it states that in praying to our Heavenly Father we should anticipate ‘His will being done on earth as it is in Heaven’.

Manx PrayerNet seeks to:

•Produce a regular Newsletter with information about current prayer issues and ministries

•Arrange for prayer cover and prophetic insight for mission activity

•Facilitate seminars and workshops on prayer and intercession

•Interface with those in the community we are praying for

•Develop local and international links through the Prayer Forum

•Identify key areas of prayer around the Island

•Circulate emergency prayer requests

•Support local churches and ministries

•Build up a network of local praying groups

Prayer Projects and Resources at Manx PrayerNet:

Praying from the Hilltops

Praying for the City

Coastal Footprints

Praying for TT and motorcycle racing around the Island.

Prayer Diary

Douglas Prayer Walk

Poustinia – “Sunnyside”,

Dalby Monthly IMPACT meetings 1st Wednesday at Nadine House

Devotions each Monday AM around 9-30am with staff at Nadine House.

We have enough useless nutjobs in the House of Keys as it is - does anyone want to give power to a religious maniac like this? I look forward to the day he knocks on my door asking for my vote.

Well, speak of the devil, David Talbot supposedly called at chez Jimcalagon today. At least the leaflet that was pushed through the letterbox said he did. He must have a very quiet knock as Mrs. J was in the house at the time.

I would have liked to ask him why he decided to stand in Michael, as he lives in Dalby. My guess is he thinks it's an easy ticket, same as the bloke who stood against David Cannan last time admitted to me on the doorstep.

Paul H. I'd be interested to hear your policies at some point.

I would have liked to ask him why he decided to stand in Michael, as he lives in Dalby.

Yes - clearly he won't have any idea of what is happening 5 miles away given such tremendous distance.

Who do these people think they are eh?

Paul H currently on Talking Heads - trying very hard, but sounds a bit out of his depth.

Sorry if came over that way, it was my first time on live radio! I suppose you think it's easy? :blink:

I would have liked to ask him why he decided to stand in Michael, as he lives in Dalby.

Yes - clearly he won't have any idea of what is happening 5 miles away given such tremendous distance.

Who do these people think they are eh?

My point is, why did he not stand for the constituency in which he lives? What was it about Michael that made him choose it over any other constituency?

I think most voters would prefer to vote for someone who lives in the area they are voting in.

Personally I would not be too bothered, if they live fairly close that would be fine with me. We're electing MHKs to national government here, not local councillors. If someone of merit stood in my area and were of a far better standard than my current MHKs, I wouldn't vote for the usual half-wit simply because he was the only one to live in the constituency.

People need to think outside of the box here and think about the usual suspects that have got us into the mess we are in. Granny farming has got out of control. It's way past time elected people started working toward their responsibilities. In the past local issues were the remit of parish/borough councillors, now every man and his dog goes straight to his MHK when he has even a minor problem or dispute that needs sorting. Job descriptions even, along with a guide for the public as to who to approach and for what are what are required IMO.

Paul H currently on Talking Heads - trying very hard, but sounds a bit out of his depth.

Sorry if came over that way, it was my first time on live radio! I suppose you think it's easy? :blink:

I realise you were trying to make things 'flow' without a load of 'erms' and 'errs', which is entirely laudable. Unfortunately, in trying to do that, you sometimes allowed your pace of speech to increase - rather like writing long sentences without commas. Slow your delivery,; take charge of the interviews rather than letting the interviewer dictate the subject matter and pace of them; go into them with at least three points you want to make - and direct the conversation towards them so that you can.

Jimcalagon Posted Yesterday, 05:17 PM

My point is, why did he not stand for the constituency in which he lives? What was it about Michael that made him choose it over any other constituency?

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Paul lived in K Michael for a long time and has only recently moved?

I realise you were trying to make things 'flow' without a load of 'erms' and 'errs', which is entirely laudable. Unfortunately, in trying to do that, you sometimes allowed your pace of speech to increase - rather like writing long sentences without commas. Slow your delivery,; take charge of the interviews rather than letting the interviewer dictate the subject matter and pace of them; go into them with at least three points you want to make - and direct the conversation towards them so that you can.

Jimcalagon Posted Yesterday, 05:17 PM

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Paul lived in K Michael for a long time and has only recently moved?

Thanks for the advice it really is appreciated. I'm not kidding when I tell you I was as nervous as Hell going up there for the first time and I'm still dreading how people are going to judge my first attempt! But I'm not going to be put off. In fact I'm relishing the idea of having another go and practising my 'radio face' for next week's encounter with John Moss. All I can do is my best and hope that I don't embarrass myself too much.

Oh, and I still very much live in Kirk Michael. My wife and I bought our home here in Faaie ny Cabbal back in 2002 and as much as I love to complain about Heritage Homes we are very happy with it and have no intention of moving. :)

Archived