General Election 2011 - Michael

Declan

Today I started my door to door election campaign. I decided to start in Jurby, for no particular reason, only that you have to start somewhere. I'm not kidding, I was as nervous as Hell at first. But do you know what? I absolutley loved it!

The people I talked to were brilliant. Real people with real lives and varying concerns about the village and the Island in general. And do you want to know something really strange? After today, even if I don't win the election I feel I've made some great new friends and I would like to help them with their problems either way. Of course, I don't know what I would be able to achieve for them if I were not to win the election but I'm sure of one thing. I wouldn't mind trying.

Even the few who were not interested or who tried to give me a hard time were polite and generous with their attention. They were generally fair and credited me for making an effort to see everyone.

I've now got a sore back, sore feet and hardly any voice left. But if I had to do this every day for the rest of my life I would gladly put up with it. Reading these forums can be very demoralising, but getting out there and seeing people is invigorating and rewarding. So come on you lot. Get off your back-sides, stand for the House of Keys and get come canvassing done. You'll feel better for it! :)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I started my door to door election campaign. I decided to start in Jurby, for no particular reason, only that you have to start somewhere. I'm not kidding, I was as nervous as Hell at first. But do you know what? I absolutley loved it!

The people I talked to were brilliant. Real people with real lives and varying concerns about the village and the Island in general. And do you want to know something really strange? After today, even if I don't win the election I feel I've made some great new friends and I would like to help them with their problems either way. Of course, I don't know what I would be able to achieve for them if I were not to win the election but I'm sure of one thing. I wouldn't mind trying.

Even the few who were not interested or who tried to give me a hard time were polite and generous with their attention. They were generally fair and credited me for making an effort to see everyone.

I've now got a sore back, sore feet and hardly any voice left. But if I had to do this every day for the rest of my life I would gladly put up with it. Reading these forums can be very demoralising, but getting out there and seeing people is invigorating and rewarding. So come on you lot. Get off your back-sides, stand for the House of Keys and get come canvassing done. You'll feel better for it! :)

The people of Jurby probably welcomed a candidate who had an interest in them. From what I am told by my far northen relatives the outgoing candidate Mr Cannan treated Jurby as some kind of proletarian sink-hole and spent many hours and much effort trying to prevent them from having a doctors surgery/community facility...weird behaviour when those things would be added to your own constituency. It's just bloody amazing that the governnment stood up to him and didn't roll over like they usually do.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I haven't seen anyone yet, or even know if any of them have any maanifestos....anyone know???

Mine has gone to press and I'm printing envelopes this weekend. Should be in the post to you Thus/Fri next week? (Depends on printers). I'm about 50% done with the first round of door calling with seven people who have phoned to say that having missed me they would like me to call again. e-mails are coming in at about three a day from various people but not concerning local issues. Great team of supporters helping out when they can and I'm still lovin' it! :)

Paul, I read through your leaflet which dropped through my door recently. When I came to the passage which said "If you believe that the people of Kirk Michael, Ballaugh and Jurby are best represented by a Manx-born, life-long Michael resident, I am your man.", is about the time that you lost any chance of me voting for you.

The fact that you seem to think being born on the Island automatically makes you more suitable for office than a non-native Manx resident, no matter what their qualities or qualifications, leads me to suppose that, if elected, you will automatically treat the more than 50% of the island's population - who would be paying your wages - as second-class citizens. As someone who is not Manx born and has 'only' been resident in Michael for 10 years, I find this offensive.

Is that your only selling point - you were born in the IOM and have never lived anywhere else? I happen to believe that the best person for the job is the best person for the job, irrespective of where they were born or raised.

It says a lot for the state of Manx politics that the only contenders for the constituency are a religious fundamentalist, a borderline racist and someone trying to ride on his dad's coattails.

Jim, I am sorry that you appear to of miss-understood the principle of democracy and that to a large number of people living on the Isle of Man, indeed in this constituency, it DOES matter that the person who represents them in Tynwald has strong local back ground. As a Manxman I find it offensive that someone who clearly doesn’t know me very well can refer to me as a borderline racist. You might notice that my family name is not local, my father having originated from Salford and his Grandfather having originated from Ireland. However, in my introduction I used the opportunity to make the point that I am local, an issue which I know is important to many people. If the fact that someone being Manx is enough to persuade you not to vote for them, ask yourself Jim, ‘who is being racist’? You have my phone number, give me a call so I can come and see you. Then you may say what you like about me.

He wasn't being racist Paul, you were by implication. He was reacting to that racism.

This bit of schoolground politics isn't going to get you anywhere

You are quite right. It's what happens when people take the time to speak to me that matters.

If the fact that someone being Manx is enough to persuade you not to vote for them, ask yourself Jim, ‘who is being racist’?

I didn't say that - you either need to read more carefully or take a course in basic logic or stop trying to put words in other peoples' mouths. I believe (as I said above)the best person for the job is the best person for the job irrespective of race or place of birth. Unlike yourself, I don't care whether they are Manx, Mancunian or Martian.

Incidentally, the fact that you can't even extract the meaning from a short post on a messageboard does not bode well for your chances when being faced with the prospect of having to decipher lengthy legal bills presented in Tynwald, IMO.

Oh, forgot to add,

You have my phone number, give me a call so I can come and see you. Then you may say what you like about me.

So I have to speak to you personally before I can criticise what you have written in your campaign literature? I didn't realise that's how it works.

If you feel the need to speak personally to everyone who publically criticises you I think you might be very busy making housecalls should you be elected. Being criticised in public is part and parcel of the job of MHK - no matter how good you are, there's always going to be someone who disagrees with you.

I tell you what - if you knock on my door when you are campaigning I'll make myself known.

Paul, I read through your leaflet which dropped through my door recently. When I came to the passage which said "If you believe that the people of Kirk Michael, Ballaugh and Jurby are best represented by a Manx-born, life-long Michael resident, I am your man.", is about the time that you lost any chance of me voting for you.

The fact that you seem to think being born on the Island automatically makes you more suitable for office than a non-native Manx resident, no matter what their qualities or qualifications, leads me to suppose that, if elected, you will automatically treat the more than 50% of the island's population - who would be paying your wages - as second-class citizens. As someone who is not Manx born and has 'only' been resident in Michael for 10 years, I find this offensive.

Is that your only selling point - you were born in the IOM and have never lived anywhere else? I happen to believe that the best person for the job is the best person for the job, irrespective of where they were born or raised.

It says a lot for the state of Manx politics that the only contenders for the constituency are a religious fundamentalist, a borderline racist and someone trying to ride on his dad's coattails.

I think you are a bit unfair in your assessment on all three candidates. In fact I think Michael has one of the better choices available (well, between two of them anyway).......could be worse, you could live in Castletown or even Malew & Santon !!

Wow !! Priceless...I usually have no interest in the politics of Michael but to called a "borderline racist" because you state that you are born and bred on the Island seems to me the act of a coward.Ten years in the village...I assume that you only moved there because house prices are lower than elsewhere and you have taken advantage of this...or perhaps you have one of the few jobs available in the village ???

Wow !! Priceless...I usually have no interest in the politics of Michael but to called a "borderline racist" because you state that you are born and bred on the Island seems to me the act of a coward.

No, I called him a borderline racist because he claims that someone who is born in the IOM is inherently better MHK material.

Ten years in the village...I assume that you only moved there because house prices are lower than elsewhere and you have taken advantage of this...or perhaps you have one of the few jobs available in the village ???

No, house prices here were (and indeed still are) significantly higher than the area of the UK I came from. And I don't work in the village, I work in Douglas.

I agree with a lot of what you say Jim. So far, I've had Alf Cannan call round, and talk a surprising amount of commonsense. Not a peep from Mr Heavey or Mr Talbot yet...I suggest they pull their fingers out.

To be honest, I think that voting should be mandatory, but there should also be a box under the candidates marked "none of the above" if you had no confidence in any of the candidates. At least people would be able to express their opinions entirely, rather than feeling compelled to vote for the best of the worst, or not bothering to turn out.

Mr Heavey - in the style of Dragon's Den - Let me tell you where I am. I wouldn't have any confidence in you after what you've said so far.....I'm out.

I agree with a lot of what you say Jim. So far, I've had Alf Cannan call round, and talk a surprising amount of commonsense. Not a peep from Mr Heavey or Mr Talbot yet...I suggest they pull their fingers out.

To be honest, I think that voting should be mandatory, but there should also be a box under the candidates marked "none of the above" if you had no confidence in any of the candidates. At least people would be able to express their opinions entirely, rather than feeling compelled to vote for the best of the worst, or not bothering to turn out.

Mr Heavey - in the style of Dragon's Den - Let me tell you where I am. I wouldn't have any confidence in you after what you've said so far.....I'm out.

Voting should be mandatory !! Vote Social Security you know it makes sense...Where do these people come from ?

Archived