General Election 2011 - Michael

Declan

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a new person to the Isle of Man I am amazed by the comments on all of these forums; noone seems to have a good word to say about anyone

As anyone who has lived here all their life will tell you: that's what Manx Forums is like.

If you look through the published government accounts you'll see that we do pretty well in comparison to almost any other country you care to look at. Decent social security, education, health care, etc. No national debt. Unemployment running at around 2% even in the current global economic climate. But all anyone talks about on here is how rubbish we all are!!!

No National Debt...You really are living in a different World ! The Public Sector Pension Deficit will sink this Island Bernie...

I went to see the Dandara display in relation to KM school in the KM Commissioners office today. Only one candidate (cannan) present taking views from the Public. I heard Talbot turned up later for 15mins......no Heavey. I mean please, are they serious about standing or not ?

Be fair, Paul would have had to travel all the way from Kirk Michael.

I went to see the Dandara display in relation to KM school in the KM Commissioners office today. Only one candidate (cannan) present taking views from the Public. I heard Talbot turned up later for 15mins......no Heavey. I mean please, are they serious about standing or not ?

Be fair, Paul would have had to travel all the way from Kirk Michael.

Right, firstly this is not the only election issue on the minds of our constituents at the moment and I'm not about to let Eddie Teare or Heritage Homes dominate discussions or lessen other concerns of wider importance.

Secondly, I am not about to draw my conclusions from a single visit to the commissioners office to skeet at the proposals. I now have the full planning application in front of me and have considered it carefully without distraction.

I can confirm that I do have concerns about certain areas which require clarification from the developers and I will be discussing these with Heritage Homes shortly.

I regret to disappoint some people living in the area but, given the information received so far, I am of the opinion this planning application is reasonable.

Right, firstly? Thats almost there with "at the end of the day"!

Anyone listen to the debate tonight on Manx Radio? Apart from the fact that Paul Heavey has 2/5ths of bugger all to say,what did you think?

Do you not think it better to comment on what the candidates said as opposed to what they didn't say? One got the impression that neither Paul Heavey nor Tavid Talbot could get a word in edgeways and even Beth Espey had her work cut out with Alf 'I am important and you will let me speak' Cannan. Poor David Talbot was verbally attacked by him more than once. Is this the kind of man you want representing you in the House of Keys? More fool you if you do! Does he think that we really believe his Father has no involvement whatsoever in his campaign?!

David Talbot sounds like a really nice guy but not knowing the area and not living in the constituency does not favour him for the job plus I think he would be a political pushover as he's too nice. I think he would be better sticking to his charity work as he can really make a difference for people that way as I believe there is less politics involved with charity.

Paul Heavey on the other hand, apprears to have the knowledge, both local and national. I think he actually cares what happens in his constituency, afterall he is the only candidate whom it will directly affect as he lives in the constituency, not to mention his family live in the constituency. Out of the three candidates, all of whom I have met, he seems the most honest, approachable and convincing and I might just make the effort on polling day to go out and vote for him.

Anyone wlse wondering whether "interestedman" is Alf Cannan, and "Vanity" is Heavey.

I have to say, I thought Cannan was an overbearing clown on the radio, but at least he had something to say

haha I'm flattered that you think that, well I think I am?! Maybe I should stand in the next election?! :o)

Some useful pointers here, it's already eliminated one candidate for me and I look forward to next Tuesday's meeting in Kirk Michael in the hope of narrowing the choice even further. It will be interesting to see who wants to represent the views of the people in Tynwald, rather than imposing his own....

One got the impression that neither Paul Heavey nor Tavid Talbot could get a word in edgeways and even Beth Espey had her work cut out with Alf 'I am important and you will let me speak' Cannan. Poor David Talbot was verbally attacked by him more than once.

He did sound like a potential replacement if Houghton fails to get in! :P On the other hand, I have to admit to being totally underwhelmed by the other two.

Anyone listen to the debate tonight on Manx Radio? Apart from the fact that Paul Heavey has 2/5ths of bugger all to say,what did you think?

Do you not think it better to comment on what the candidates said as opposed to what they didn't say? One got the impression that neither Paul Heavey nor Tavid Talbot could get a word in edgeways and even Beth Espey had her work cut out with Alf 'I am important and you will let me speak' Cannan. Poor David Talbot was verbally attacked by him more than once. Is this the kind of man you want representing you in the House of Keys? More fool you if you do! Does he think that we really believe his Father has no involvement whatsoever in his campaign?!

David Talbot sounds like a really nice guy but not knowing the area and not living in the constituency does not favour him for the job plus I think he would be a political pushover as he's too nice. I think he would be better sticking to his charity work as he can really make a difference for people that way as I believe there is less politics involved with charity.

Paul Heavey on the other hand, apprears to have the knowledge, both local and national. I think he actually cares what happens in his constituency, afterall he is the only candidate whom it will directly affect as he lives in the constituency, not to mention his family live in the constituency. Out of the three candidates, all of whom I have met, he seems the most honest, approachable and convincing and I might just make the effort on polling day to go out and vote for him.

I agree

We don't have a radio in the house, only digital. I'll see if it gets repeated online.

Archived