General Election 2011 - Rushen

Declan

Is Ronaldsway in Rushen or Malew / Santon?

If it were in Rushen, then you have had £50 million spent on a nice runway extension. What more do you want?

Go over to Derbyhaven, have a picnic and admire it.

Sheesh!

Not Rushen.

Could be Castletown?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Ronaldsway in Rushen or Malew / Santon?

If it were in Rushen, then you have had £50 million spent on a nice runway extension. What more do you want?

Go over to Derbyhaven, have a picnic and admire it.

Sheesh!

Not Rushen.

Could be Castletown?

Ronaldsway is in Malew and Santon.

I guess you have to judge the current representatives on what they have actually done for Rushen in their term of office. It seems that Rushen constantly misses out on government investment and you have to question the fact that some of their actions are just headline grabbing gestures.

I don't hear any of them shouting about significant government reform on a national and local level.

Examination of their previous manifestos demonstrate how effective they have been.

It will be interesting to see how these chaps conduct their campaigns with greater scrutiny than ever before.

Have a gander at Skelly's pages and pages of bullshit! This man will promise the moon and the stars if it got him in. A show pony only and he's grandstanding instead of thinking things through. Clearly a PR man, and absolutely not the type of person we need.

Juan's a good lad doing good work (with no thanks and much treachery from Annie) on the public accounts committee. He's a worker and a nice chap. Mr Gawne though, one of Tony's Cronies unfortunately, must go. New blood needed badly, and young blood at that.

I've been impressed by Lib Vannin if I'm honest. Looking forward to seeing more of Gov'ts treachery getting outed.

On MR today lunchtime news former Rushen MHK Dr. John Orme has announced that he intends to stand for Rushen in the forthcoming election, also says it would be for one term only to help sort out the current mess,, Do I recall correctly that he was the prime mover on the Iris project?

Maybe he really can get us out of the shit this time :D

I guess you have to judge the current representatives on what they have actually done for Rushen in their term of office. It seems that Rushen constantly misses out on government investment and you have to question the fact that some of their actions are just headline grabbing gestures.

I don't hear any of them shouting about significant government reform on a national and local level.

Examination of their previous manifestos demonstrate how effective they have been.

It will be interesting to see how these chaps conduct their campaigns with greater scrutiny than ever before.

Have a gander at Skelly's pages and pages of bullshit! This man will promise the moon and the stars if it got him in. A show pony only and he's grandstanding instead of thinking things through. Clearly a PR man, and absolutely not the type of person we need.

Juan's a good lad doing good work (with no thanks and much treachery from Annie) on the public accounts committee. He's a worker and a nice chap. Mr Gawne though, one of Tony's Cronies unfortunately, must go. New blood needed badly, and young blood at that.

I've been impressed by Lib Vannin if I'm honest. Looking forward to seeing more of Gov'ts treachery getting outed.

Unfortunately, the LV candidate dipped out. Big shame as their material about the various cover ups and financial disasters is enlightening. The candidates are on the stage tonight at the Erin Arts Centre, I think it is a 7.30pm start.

You would think it will be a full house. (Local Apathy to be tested again).

It will be a good opportunity to see the current MHKs explain what exactly they have done for the public they serve. (Personally, I can't wait for them to somehow come up with anything to say that Rushen has received some serious investment in the last five years. Some of the time has been spent swanning around HOK attending committeees 'run' by civil servants or just floating around making the odd headline now and again.)

Wait and see - worth a look to see if the challengers are passive or aggressive. The latter could make it a shooting gallery if they have their wits about them.

Unfortunately, the LV candidate dipped out. Big shame as their material about the various cover ups and financial disasters is enlightening. The candidates are on the stage tonight at the Erin Arts Centre, I think it is a 7.30pm start.

You would think it will be a full house. (Local Apathy to be tested again).

It will be a good opportunity to see the current MHKs explain what exactly they have done for the public they serve. (Personally, I can't wait for them to somehow come up with anything to say that Rushen has received some serious investment in the last five years. Some of the time has been spent swanning around HOK attending committeees 'run' by civil servants or just floating around making the odd headline now and again.)

Wait and see - worth a look to see if the challengers are passive or aggressive. The latter could make it a shooting gallery if they have their wits about them.

Manx radio recording public meeting with candidates at the Erin arts centre tonight.

Yes, it's a fair point Theo and raises some interesting questions. Although I welcome the public broadcasts by Manx Radio, I have one or two thoughts about the meeting I attended in Ramsey, and its subsequent broadcast on Sunday Opinion. Firstly I wondered why there was a minister of religion on the panel ? I had never heard of him and I have nothing against the man, but he seemed to have little or nothing of substance to say about politics or local issues beyond what to me were very broad platitudes and homespun homilies. I know others see great wisdom and common sense in such things and I'm sure he saw his role as a non-political arbitrator. Perhaps atheists should be invited to preach on Sundays too. It certainly made more sense to have the chairman of the Chamber of Commerce on the panel but I wonder if other interest groups will similarly be invited to partake on the panel of other meetings ? Also, the questions you heard on the radio were all submitted beforehand (as is normal) but there was no opportunity to speak or contribute unless your question had been selected. In effect this meant that 95% of the audience were only involved as spectators and not as participants as the floor was never 'opened-up' for questions. I think I'd also be happier if an independent chairperson selected the questions, rather than Manx Radio (government subsidised) who then also edit the programme for transmission. All in all, a welcome contribution to the election build-up but some things to think about.

Judy slipped out to go to the Manx Radio election meeting for Rushen last night and brings you her report:

Top of the poll was Juan Watterson. He spoke with much common sense, made one or two sincere pledges, and connected with the hopes and aspirations of the audience. He was very personable and came across as intelligent, grounded, and able to engage with a range of issues. A very wise head on a young pair of shoulders and definitely worth a vote.

Next she puts Laurence Skelly. He made some telling contributions and for a new candidate was quietly confident, assured and mature. He was never ruffled and managed to lead from the front on a couple of issues. An impressive debut.

Phil Gawne gave a mostly solid performance and was honest, sincere and likeable. He comes across as a true democrat and man of the people and is very comfortable facing an audience. For all his experience he still has some learning to do, particularly when defending new roundabouts ! He also broke the news that the Government has had a five year plan in place to tackle the VAT deficit. Did anyone know about that ? Judy didn't.

Quintin Gill had a poor night and didn't really connect with the audience at all. He'd remembered to bring his principles to the meeting but had left his politics at home, picking unnecessary disagreement with a couple of questioners when a more mature answer would have served his case better. Didn't sell himself at all and for an intelligent man showed some naivety in how to get himself re-elected !

John Orme had a stinker and seemed a begrudging contributor. Were we keeping him from something ? He only seemed interested in the cut and slash of deficit reduction and his heart (or his head) wasn't really concerned with anything else. Came across as arrogant and self-serving, with a take it or leave it fatalism to the outcome of the election. He was gifted the closing remarks though that will ring with statesman-like gravitas when the programme is aired on Sunday. Had Roger Watterson slipped him something ?

Judy will doubtless be getting the bike out of the wash-house for the next meeting in Douglas East !

He also broke the news that the Government has had a five year plan in place to tackle the VAT deficit. Did anyone know about that ? Judy didn't.

I thought it was mentioned in one of the previous budgets

Wake Up Call, on 02 August 2011 - 07:29 AM, said: Triskelion1000, on 29 July 2011 - 11:14 AM, said: Wake Up Call, on 15 July 2011 - 06:16 PM, said: I guess you have to judge the current representatives on what they have actually done for Rushen in their term of office. It seems that Rushen constantly misses out on government investment and you have to question the fact that some of their actions are just headline grabbing gestures. I don't hear any of them shouting about significant government reform on a national and local level. Examination of their previous manifestos demonstrate how effective they have been. It will be interesting to see how these chaps conduct their campaigns with greater scrutiny than ever before.

Sorry for my bad language. I advise to you to come on a site where there is a lot of information on a theme interesting you. Will not regret.

Archived