General Election 2011 - Rushen

Declan

I thought Laurence Skelly was disappointing - he may have good ideas but they barely came across and he was far less assured than the others (except Jones who started off speaking pure Karranese by focusing on the use of consultants!). I intended to vote for Skelly - largely because of Quintin Gill's capacity for Mad Frog moments of near lunacy - but now I'm not so sure! Gawne and Watterson far and away the best performers 'on the night'.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gawne's intellect and judgment are in question, as far as I am concerned.

Remember, this is the guy who in protest at..at..something or other, set fire to a house and raised it to the ground.

A house being built by a Manx company, by mainly Manx workers, and being built for a Manx couple.

He was voted in because he was a bit naughty and on the edge, but the fact is he is there for himself and he has nestled in very nicely with the establishment. OK, ok, he can speak Manx gaelic. So what.

You have a magnificent grasp of Manx history and culture. Just the type of person the Island needs.

Although I have said what I said about Dr.Orme, there did seem to be a lot of support at the end for him and it would't surprise me if he got in at Gills expense

The thing is, he is not afraid to talk about job losses, as you said. Nobody else is saying it becaus eit is unpopular. The thing is they will happen whomever gets in. So base any thoughts on the rest of his policies. I don't know him but have spoken to him a couple of times outside Shoprite and his head in definitely in the right place.

Although I have said what I said about Dr.Orme, there did seem to be a lot of support at the end for him and it would't surprise me if he got in at Gills expense

The thing is, he is not afraid to talk about job losses, as you said. Nobody else is saying it becaus eit is unpopular. The thing is they will happen whomever gets in. So base any thoughts on the rest of his policies. I don't know him but have spoken to him a couple of times outside Shoprite and his head in definitely in the right place.

He doesn't have any other policies. We don't want or need a master swordsman who, safe in the comfort of his own wealth, is advocating himself as the man to wield the blade, and who expresses no interest in the broader functions and responsibilites of government. Of course difficult decisions are going to have to be made but we don't need the self-professed slasher John Orme to do it for us. Ride on cowboy.

I thought Laurence Skelly was disappointing - he may have good ideas but they barely came across and he was far less assured than the others (except Jones who started off speaking pure Karranese by focusing on the use of consultants!). I intended to vote for Skelly - largely because of Quintin Gill's capacity for Mad Frog moments of near lunacy - but now I'm not so sure! Gawne and Watterson far and away the best performers 'on the night'.

Laurence Skelly was complaining about the last government reliance on consultants but is he not the chairman of the Southern Regeneration Committee who paid two firms of "consultants" £25,000 to come up with such gems as having a lift from the upper to the lower promenade in Port St Mary and trams running along Port Erin seafront and many other such idiotic ideas?

The regeneration funding for the south now seems to have gone very quiet with only hints of a heritage centre and an aquarium, hardy projects to be undertaken in the present climate. A great opportunity wasted to smarten up the area, especially Port St Mary.

He doesn't have any other policies. We don't want or need a master swordsman who, safe in the comfort of his own wealth, is advocating himself as the man to wield the blade, and who expresses no interest in the broader functions and responsibilites of government. Of course difficult decisions are going to have to be made but we don't need the self-professed slasher John Orme to do it for us. Ride on cowboy.

SMUJ You are falling into exactly the same trap as most candidates - criticism without solution. What sort of member does Rushen need then?

I recall Liam Byrne's flippant note last year to his successor in the UK government - "Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid there is no money. Kind regards - and good luck! Liam." That is what we face, and asserting that we don't want MHKs who are prepared to deal with it is plain bonkers.

John Orme needs to demonstate a bit more than he is doing at present.

All I know is that he brought on IRIS and the rest of Tynwald believed him because he must surely know what he is doing because he is an engineer (a real Engineer too, with a degree or two, not a Bill Malarkey type "engineer" with a City and Guilds, God bless him).

John Orme ran a rather bohemian restaurant bistro type thingie in Port Erin. Hannah Bananas. (Anyone remember or am I showing my age?). That was enough to show me he was a bit off-the-wall and certainly not ideal for public office.

Mind you, he might be a useful sacrificial lamb in Tynwald, to do all the nasty jobs like get rid of the legion of highly paid and highly pensioned but under-achieving/needless/useless civil servants.

Although I would much prefer we gave double figure £millions to the likes of PA Consulting to do a proper rout.

Laurence Skelly was complaining about the last government reliance on consultants but is he not the chairman of the Southern Regeneration Committee who paid two firms of "consultants" £25,000 to come up with such gems as having a lift from the upper to the lower promenade in Port St Mary and trams running along Port Erin seafront and many other such idiotic ideas?

The regeneration funding for the south now seems to have gone very quiet with only hints of a heritage centre and an aquarium, hardy projects to be undertaken in the present climate. A great opportunity wasted to smarten up the area, especially Port St Mary.

I think Phil Gawne is the chairman, although Skelly sits on the commitee.

Archived