General Election 2011 - Rushen

Declan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil Gawne says keep spending and no cuts are needed for the first few years. sorry is he living in a dream world, or do a lot of people in rushen work for the govenment.

http://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_163174.html

That is not what he says in that clip. H says not cutting to hard in the first couple of years so not putting too many out of work too quickly.

It is a fair point to argue. There must be cuts but do you hit hard at day one or do you phase over a few years which is probably better for the economy.

Phil Gawne says keep spending and no cuts are needed for the first few years. sorry is he living in a dream world, or do a lot of people in rushen work for the govenment.

http://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_163174.html

That is not what he says in that clip. H says not cutting to hard in the first couple of years so not putting too many out of work too quickly.

It is a fair point to argue. There must be cuts but do you hit hard at day one or do you phase over a few years which is probably better for the economy.

Some election candidates have called for the Government to tighten its purse strings.

But Mr Gawne doesn't think this is the answer

so where does that say to do it over time.

Some election candidates have called for the Government to tighten its purse strings.

But Mr Gawne doesn't think this is the answer

so where does that say to do it over time.

It does not but the above is what the Energy report states. It is not what Gawne says in the clip. Now either the report is not wholly correct or he did state what the report says but they have attached the wrong clip.

Be careful of the media in this campaign. I have listened the the Manx Radio broadcast from the Erin Arts Centre and I suspect that some of the questions and answers have been cut out. From memory, they were interesting and relevant.

I do wonder about these things sometime.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That was a long evening.

Subjects - vat, cuts, how to increase revenue, reduce number of mhk's, scope of Government, flouride and whether the tax cap on hnw is creating a two tier tax system.

Orme was eloquent but said little of substance. Dropped a clanger when he misinterpretted the VAT revenues. Which Juan W pointed out.

Jones the LVP candidate was out of his depth. Didn't seem to know LVP policy very well.

The other 4 were better.

Skelly was consistently strong, not dwelling on the past but coming across as positive.

Gawne spoke well and presented his record convincingly, took a few hits due to his connection to the last govt. With him it boils down to whether you accept his contention that it is "better to be inside arguing your case, than outside arguing the toss"

Juan spoke very well at times, and made some of the best points, but tailed off towards the end.

Gill began weakly but generally held his own. Not a bad candidate, and not a bad mhk but will probably be the one to miss out.

Orme would have probably got my vote before tonight but lost it when he said that he was in favour of redundancies within the gov structure (I work on the trains, albeit in a seasonal capacity so it wouldn't affect me but I work with the fulltime guys and know how they feel with the uncertainty.) Skelly was good I thought. Lib-Van, sod the user agreement lets build a deep-water berth, doesnt work with me, private money or not. Phil Gawne says that the Island gets 10-15% more vat per head of pop. than the U.K. but then doesn't expect the U.k to come back for more. Maybe, maybe not and the round-about got me thinking. Gill came across a lot better than I expected and I didnt disagree with anything he said. Watterson spot on all night.

Although I have said what I said about Dr.Orme, there did seem to be a lot of support at the end for him and it would't surprise me if he got in at Gills expense

Archived