General Election 2011 - Rushen

Declan

Constituency Details - Rushen

Will all three sitting members are standing again, and challenges from Liberal Vannin's Adrian Tinkler and a well organised campaign from Lawrence Skelly this may be a close contest. Will Phil Gawne's move to the Department of Infrastructure prove costly?

Manx Radio

Wikipedia

2006 Election

Candidates Declared

Phil Gawne MHK

Personal Website

Manx Radio Page

Wikipedia Entry

Tynwald CV

@PhilGawne

Juan Watterson MHK

MF User Name: JuanWatterson

Manx Radio Page

Wikipedia Entry

Tynwald CV

Quintin Gill MHK

Manx Radio Page

Wikipedia Entry

Tynwald CV

Laurence Skelly

Personal Website

Manx Radio Page

@laurenceskelly

Adrian Tinkler (Liberal Vannin Party)

Manifesto

Manx Radio Page

==================

Note I'll try and keep updating this post with links and information as the thread and the election develops.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gawne's intellect and judgment are in question, as far as I am concerned.

Remember, this is the guy who in protest at..at..something or other, set fire to a house and raised it to the ground.

A house being built by a Manx company, by mainly Manx workers, and being built for a Manx couple.

He was voted in because he was a bit naughty and on the edge, but the fact is he is there for himself and he has nestled in very nicely with the establishment. OK, ok, he can speak Manx gaelic. So what.

Gawne's intellect and judgment are in question, as far as I am concerned.

Remember, this is the guy who in protest at..at..something or other, set fire to a house and raised it to the ground.

A house being built by a Manx company, by mainly Manx workers, and being built for a Manx couple.

I'm by no means a Gawne fan but that was over twenty years ago, I'd like to meet the person who never made a bad decision in the past. Admittedly some decisions can be worse than others.

It's just a pity that he's not put more of a match under Tynwald while he's been there. His school report would read that 'early promise is unfulfilled and he must try harder if he's to make the grade'. Being able to say 'hello yessir' in Manx is not really a qualification for government.

It's just a pity that he's not put more of a match under Tynwald while he's been there. His school report would read that 'early promise is unfulfilled and he must try harder if he's to make the grade'. Being able to say 'hello yessir' in Manx is not really a qualification for government.

He has been very useful to the Manx government and it's not surprising that he has been givin high office, he has been able to shut

down the nationalist cries as they think their man is in there representing them, whereas in reality he has become a yes man to "the club"

to his own benefit.

OK, ok, he can speak Manx gaelic. So what.

Quite. I would be more impressed if he could speak Klingon. Would probably be more useful, too.

You mean it isn't?. Damn it,I was sure I'd seen Captain Kirk tussling with a dark,wrinkly skinned chap in leather in PSM the other day

Tinkler has pulled the plug as well,what is wrong with these people,put their names forward,then withdraw,surely they are not frightened by all the doom and gloom coming fromgood ole Al are they.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you have to judge the current representatives on what they have actually done for Rushen in their term of office. It seems that Rushen constantly misses out on government investment and you have to question the fact that some of their actions are just headline grabbing gestures.

I don't hear any of them shouting about significant government reform on a national and local level.

Examination of their previous manifestos demonstrate how effective they have been.

It will be interesting to see how these chaps conduct their campaigns with greater scrutiny than ever before.

• 2 weeks later...

Met Juan Watterson again today (last time was at a charity event) he has been knocking on doors around Port Erin asking for any suggestions/improvements, Seemingly without much success I might add, it is a beautiful day, most people are outside enjoying the sun!

He knocked on the door introduced himself and despite seeing/hearing I was of the uneducated type who didn't care much about politics, he persisted and seems a rather normal sort of chap rather the the toffee nosed gits found elsewhere. not expecting a visit I didn't have much to say really as I was just going out......He did leave a card aswell : Vote Watterson

He only had another 4000 properties to visit I think he said!

Two of the MHKs have deposited an information leaflet. Both are a little bland really and don't have any clues as to what exactly will be in their manifesto. I suppose it will be difficult to write something positive if you can't 'hang your hat' on a particular investment project that has benefited the people of Rushen.

There is very little about 'the elephant in the room' - Government reform - are they scared to mention this?

Any prospective MHK needs to challenge the FACT that other sheadings have had swimming pools and new schools etc in the last five years and Rushen has ended up with a pretty roundabout and a cafe that will probably not be operating past next winter. Add to that the general lack of investment in the area, you have to wonder why Rushen appears to be the 'poor relation' in Tynwald?

Archived