General Election 2011 - Ramsey

Declan

Constituency Details - Ramsey

Ramsey could be heading for a re-run of 2006 with former MLC Leonard Skinner trying to unseat ministers Allen Bell & Anne Craine

Manx Radio

Wikipedia

2006 Election

Candidates Declared

Leonard Singer (Ramsey Commissioner)

Manx Radio Page

Sitting Members yet to Declare

Allen Bell

Wikipedia Entry

Tynwald CV

Anne Craine

Wikipedia Entry

Tynwald CV

==================

Note I'll try and keep updating this post with links and information as the thread and the election develops.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a placeholder for the opening post in this thread - I'll be adding details of the candidates and links to appropriate sites in due course.

AFAIK neither Bell nor Craine has indicated they intend to stand again but I assume they will. Only Leonard Singer has come forward as an alternative. Has anyone heard of anyone else who may stand?

That's the problem, Tugger - unless someone else comes forward at least one of the Dynamic Duo is going to get back into Tynwald. It's almost enough to get me to stand - I'm sure I could count on the likes of Monkey Boy and Ballaugh Biker for their votes! Pity they don't live in Ramsey.

Kick those bums out. I would like most of the executive replaced by a legislature that votes to annul MHK's pensions

If you kick Allan Bell out then you may as well give up any any chance for the future of the Island, he's the only competent one in the asylum. Kick Ma Craine out and see if anyone notices, for sure it will make no difference.

AFAIK neither Bell nor Craine has indicated they intend to stand again but I assume they will.

Both possible candidates for President of Tynwald.

AFAIK neither Bell nor Craine has indicated they intend to stand again but I assume they will.

Seriously I don't think Allan bell would want that job - either CM or DED where he is now, he more than anyone understands the problems facing the Island and wants to be a position to assist as far as possible.

A small senate of 6 or 8 people with Allan Bell as 'El Presidente' could be the best way forward. The future doesn't look good - maybe not all gloom and doom but stormy at the very least, no need for excess baggage.

Seriously I don't think Allan bell would want that job - either CM or DED where he is now, he more than anyone understands the problems facing the Island and wants to be a position to assist as far as possible.

A small senate of 6 or 8 people with Allan Bell as 'El Presidente' could be the best way forward. The future doesn't look good - maybe not all gloom and doom but stormy at the very least, no need for excess baggage.

Your even more mental than I thought !

GD4ELI - I could hardly believe I was reading such nonsense! AB's record is one of continual incompetence and if he ends up as CM God help us. You wouldn't by any chance be a relation of his, would you?

Bell is the best of a very bad bunch, I am neither related to Bell nor the CM.

Bell is the best of a very bad bunch,

This seems a pretty poor basis for your laudation of him.

I am neither related to Bell nor the CM.

Then you have no excuse and have been a poor observer of what has been going on for the years he was Treasury Minister.

I sometimes think that its our own parochialism that prevents us from having decent representatives. We tend to insist that they live, if not actually in, then certainly close to the constituency.

As an example, Steve Rodan has proved to be an excellent representative for Garff - so much so that its unlikely that anyone could successfully challenge him. Therefore, if there happened to be an excellent candidate in that area - say, for example, someone who mainly worked in the West of the island - they would find it near impossible to garner much support in Glenfaba/Peel/Michael.

Ultimately, therefore, we get the government we deserve. :(

Bell is the best of a very bad bunch,

Be honest, this isn't actually based on anything except

i. He was in the treasury for a long time, which kinda makes him seem important,

ii. Thanks to being in the treasury for a long time, he's had a lot more public exposure and pre-written speeches to deliver, and his dire performance in other departments has largely been forgotten

iii. The rest of the time, he tends to keep very quiet, so all you really have to go on are those same pre-written speeches to judge him on.

Bell is the classic example of Emperor's new clothes: He struts around, offering nothing but a sense of his own importance, and, as strange as it is, some people fall on it. But let's recap on Bell's achievements:

1. In Home Affairs he tried to get the new prison built in Braddan, had a fit when the residents told him to bugger off. Prison eventually built in Jurby, which Bell's department had ruled out as a site because about 40 minutes drive is 'too far' from Douglas.

2. In Tourism we have the Bounty replica project, the Noble's Bowling Park, and importing a shed load of used tyres for the Jurby race track whilst we were trying to figure out how to dispose of those already on the Island

3. Also in Tourism, we obviously can't ignore the Mount Murray report where Bell was reported to have an undesirably close alliance with the developers, to have put pressure on planning officers, and of having misled the House of Keys. A large part of his defence being based on a statement that he didn't know what was going on (less than reassuring coming from a Minister). In Tynwald, Delaney raised the 'Notes on Presentation' document, the last page of which clearly states that 10% of the development was to be residential, and which Bell says he never read.

4. In the Treasury we got, in response to our financial situation, a nice smoke and mirrors budget designed to keep us in the manner we are now accustomed to, presumably until the next election and a reassurance that the UK would not be taking any more VAT from us after the initial renegotiation.

5. and in the DED, examples of Allan's bold strategy and considerable foresight have so far been limited to reproducing services already offered by the Job Centre at a jobs worshop session up at the college, and then getting all sulky and pissy when no one turned up to it.

Against this we have what? Other than Bell's own smug sense of his own accomplishment and nearly a decade of coasting along at the treasury. Oh, except for the film industry, in which Bell's DED bio assures us that he was instrumental in initiating.... faint praise indeed.

Bell isn't best of the bad lot by a longshot. He's not even mediocre, being every bit as useless as Brown and, in my opinion, just as much a part of the problem we have with the current government.

Archived