General Election 2011 - Ramsey

Declan

2. In Tourism we have the Bounty replica project, the Noble's Bowling Park, and importing a shed load of used tyres for the Jurby race track whilst we were trying to figure out how to dispose of those already on the Island

Don't forget the £250k pissed against the wall for the Villa Aqua-Leisure Centre that didn't, er, happen. I honestly don't know who I'd bother voting for in Ramsey.....I can't think what Bell and Craine have done for the town in the last 5 years apart from showing an uncanny ability to turn up for photo-shoots when other people's hard work is about to come to some sort of fruition...unless you count the underfoot lighting in the public urinals, sorry, lanes from the Quay to Parliament Street and a Swimming Pool we can't swing a cat in, meaning everyone from the North still has to drag their kids to the NSC on wet weekends and holidays. Leonard Singer is now running around town huffing and puffing.....but it don't matter who gets in, they're still anonymous/impotent in Tynwald against the Douglas Block-vote and the will of the Civil Service............

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bell is the best of a very bad bunch,

Be honest, this isn't actually based on anything except

i. He was in the treasury for a long time, which kinda makes him seem important,

ii. Thanks to being in the treasury for a long time, he's had a lot more public exposure and pre-written speeches to deliver, and his dire performance in other departments has largely been forgotten

iii. The rest of the time, he tends to keep very quiet, so all you really have to go on are those same pre-written speeches to judge him on.

Bell is the classic example of Emperor's new clothes: He struts around, offering nothing but a sense of his own importance, and, as strange as it is, some people fall on it. But let's recap on Bell's achievements:

1. In Home Affairs he tried to get the new prison built in Braddan, had a fit when the residents told him to bugger off. Prison eventually built in Jurby, which Bell's department had ruled out as a site because about 40 minutes drive is 'too far' from Douglas.

2. In Tourism we have the Bounty replica project, the Noble's Bowling Park, and importing a shed load of used tyres for the Jurby race track whilst we were trying to figure out how to dispose of those already on the Island

3. Also in Tourism, we obviously can't ignore the Mount Murray report where Bell was reported to have an undesirably close alliance with the developers, to have put pressure on planning officers, and of having misled the House of Keys. A large part of his defence being based on a statement that he didn't know what was going on (less than reassuring coming from a Minister). In Tynwald, Delaney raised the 'Notes on Presentation' document, the last page of which clearly states that 10% of the development was to be residential, and which Bell says he never read.

4. In the Treasury we got, in response to our financial situation, a nice smoke and mirrors budget designed to keep us in the manner we are now accustomed to, presumably until the next election and a reassurance that the UK would not be taking any more VAT from us after the initial renegotiation.

5. and in the DED, examples of Allan's bold strategy and considerable foresight have so far been limited to reproducing services already offered by the Job Centre at a jobs worshop session up at the college, and then getting all sulky and pissy when no one turned up to it.

Against this we have what? Other than Bell's own smug sense of his own accomplishment and nearly a decade of coasting along at the treasury. Oh, except for the film industry, in which Bell's DED bio assures us that he was instrumental in initiating.... faint praise indeed.

Bell isn't best of the bad lot by a longshot. He's not even mediocre, being every bit as useless as Brown and, in my opinion, just as much a part of the problem we have with the current government.

Well said, Vinnie!

Annie declares she'd like to ride on the gravy train for another five years:

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=53231

"She says strong government will be required to manage the Island's resources and protect the public" So what's she gonna do? The whole bit on that page is the usual meaningless waffle designed for effective granny farming.

"She says strong government will be required to manage the Island's resources and protect the public" So what's she gonna do? The whole bit on that page is the usual meaningless waffle designed for effective granny farming.

I have a vote this year and to be quite frank I wonder why - the options that are laid before me offer no hope or future promise for this once great town. I get a wee bit narked when I see other residents whether they be Manx born or infiltrators slagging off each region of the IOM - crikey it is only very small (I am not Manx by the way but am a resident and enjoy some parts and all parts of this wee Island). So what do I want for the region of Rhumsa -

1. Some decentralisation of gov departments around the Island - it is not that big a hardship to travel at the very most 30+ miles to get a document or to work or similar.

2. Still not too late too turn Jurby into a class A1 racing circuit with a proper skid pan and driving school etc. (Okay not Ramsey but there could well be a feed off).

3. A lock gate system as Douglas and Peel have, some are fooled into thinking it is a Marina - but in my opinion there can only be one Marina and will and should be in Port St Mary.

4. Do something proper with the pier - yes it is an eyesore - but it has so much potential - stop the gov arseing about pretending - there is massive potential with the pier.

5. Ban drinking in public before and after hours - period. (That goes Island wide for me anyway).

6. A massive upgrade of the shop fronts in the main street and squares - incentives to make them look smarter (I don’t know but something has to be done - for fecks sake people get prosecuted for having untidy private properties) - they look horrendous.

7. Bin the safe houses for the Islands druggies and send them down where they belong.

8. Keep the Cottage Hospital open and let it be properly functional for all not just those whom live in the North of the Island - it should and can be a superb facility for all Islanders.

9. Stop closing the Mountain road at any first available excuse - road maintenance - they are having a laugh and seriously taking the piss.

10. Promote the Albert Tower (stop filling the fecker with aerials).

11. Promote the Pier (pull it down period or spend what has so far been spent (on deciding) toward making it a potential money maker.

12. Promote the biggest river on the Island.

13. Promote the Harbour (a proper working one and the second largest -I believe).

14. Promote Rhumsa the town as it should be and not the town you have made it.

I guess the above should and would apply to all secondary towns to Dooolish in an ideal world - so promote the Island and all its Parishes as it is only wee and put back in the good feeling of community spirit around the whole of the Island. When asked when away it would be nice to recommend the whole of the Island and not say well Doolish is lively and Peel has Yachts etc. There is absolutely no reason why all towns and villages can not be proud to be part of the Isle of Man and not centered on their own back yard.

So will I vote - I seriously do not know as I do not see anyone out there whom is willing to stand up and be counted, so I will more than likely just scrap it.

Democracy to me is like British justice - one keeps appealing until one gets the result one wants to hear.

Take Care and Good Luck

Fulltide :(

Unfortunately Anne Craine has many of the 'qualities' that many voters will find attractive; strength and stubborn-ness, an indomitable iron will (to pursue things even when she's wrong), no sense of reticence or humility or a willingness to learn, an overbearing self-confidence, an assumed right to govern, a refusal to back-down or admit defeat, and certainly no lack of assertiveness etc. Crucially also, she doesn't know what she doesn't know, and has no sense of her own limitations. She is also a supreme networker and knows how to work a room, and can play the "I'm Manx as the hills and proud of it yessir" card all day and most of the night.

To some these are all strengths ! Some of the electorate have no idea what the issues are but they know 'good MHK material' when they see and hear it and Anne will tick their boxes. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was our next Chief Minister unless the people of Ramsey wake up this time.

Unfortunately Anne Craine has many of the 'qualities' that many voters will find attractive; strength and stubborn-ness, an indomitable iron will (to pursue things even when she's wrong), no sense of reticence or humility or a willingness to learn, an overbearing self-confidence, an assumed right to govern, a refusal to back-down or admit defeat, and certainly no lack of assertiveness etc. Crucially also, she doesn't know what she doesn't know, and has no sense of her own limitations. She is also a supreme networker and knows how to work a room, and can play the "I'm Manx as the hills and proud of it yessir" card all day and most of the night.

To some these are all strengths ! Some of the electorate have no idea what the issues are but they know 'good MHK material' when they see and hear it and Anne will tick their boxes. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was our next Chief Minister unless the people of Ramsey wake up this time.

These words are planning to come back and haunt you in October Judy! (You've certainly captured the CV of the current imcumbent in your opening paragraph).

1. Some decentralisation of gov departments around the Island - it is not that big a hardship to travel at the very most 30+ miles to get a document or to work or similar. Good idea

2. Still not too late too turn Jurby into a class A1 racing circuit with a proper skid pan and driving school etc. (Okay not Ramsey but there could well be a feed off). Should at least be costed

3. A lock gate system as Douglas and Peel have, some are fooled into thinking it is a Marina - but in my opinion there can only be one Marina and will and should be in Port St Mary. See No2

4. Do something proper with the pier - yes it is an eyesore - but it has so much potential - stop the gov arseing about pretending - there is massive potential with the pier. Pull it down - unless a private developer can be persuaded to do something with it.

5. Ban drinking in public before and after hours - period. (That goes Island wide for me anyway). What hours? The licensing hours were abandoned years ago.

6. A massive upgrade of the shop fronts in the main street and squares - incentives to make them look smarter (I don’t know but something has to be done - for fecks sake people get prosecuted for having untidy private properties) - they look horrendous. That should be done by the Commissioners - with incentives based on rates.

7. Bin the safe houses for the Islands druggies and send them down where they belong. You'll get Spook (and a few others) to agree. 'Druggies' need help - its the dealers who ought to be 'sent down.'

8. Keep the Cottage Hospital open and let it be properly functional for all not just those whom live in the North of the Island - it should and can be a superb facility for all Islanders. Yes

9. Stop closing the Mountain road at any first available excuse - road maintenance - they are having a laugh and seriously taking the piss. There are alternative routes, and they don't take that much longer.

10. Promote the Albert Tower (stop filling the fecker with aerials). Promote it as what? Its quite pretty, but its only there to commemorate a fleeting visit by a member of the British royal family.

11. Promote the Pier (pull it down period or spend what has so far been spent (on deciding) toward making it a potential money maker. See No4

12. Promote the biggest river on the Island. Explanation? Promote as what?

13. Promote the Harbour (a proper working one and the second largest -I believe). As above.

14. Promote Rhumsa the town as it should be and not the town you have made it.

Fulltide :(

Sounds more like a CV for a Military Junta than a Parliamentary democracy.

Sorry to go "off thread" but has anyone else noticed the similarity?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&pq=mrs+brown+borys&xhr=t&q=mrs+brown's+boys&cp=11&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=834&wrapid=tljp130996857773002&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Archived