Property Sales

Pierrot Lunaire

You seem to be on a one man mission to talk the market down! You've been banging on about it for years.

& I've been right to some extent (add in inflation please). & it's not a one-man mission - many, many people don't think prices can only rise.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised to find rich northerners moving here given the climate in the UK

They wouldn't be rich for long after they find they have to travel to the UK everytime they want anything more than Tescos and a bag of chips. The Isle of the old man, that's what we should call here.

havn't seen the deals going through the paper, but what's with all the development of country properties out Greebs / Ballacraine way ?, old houses being totally demolished or rebuilt / extended, new driveways etc, must be a fair bit of dosh being spent on that lot to turn them into multi-£million mansions

But many of them will be old. If you were in your fifties, and earning a million quid a year, it makes sense to be here rather than the UK (as long as you don't have too many cultural pursuits)

I would not think that there are too many folk on £1 million p.a. incomes and who want specifically to come here. The tax cap has only brought over a net 6 people since 2005 (and that kicks in on an income a bit over £600K). The amount of high end property on sale in estate agent windows indicates that the market is very weak. Cannot think why Peter Karran and Ding Dong have both come up with schemes to ease planning controls and to increase the properties in this sector.

I would guess that the main older person UK market has traditionally been for folk with incomes well below £1 million. A lot of folk in this group have to sell up before moving. If they are in that situation they will probably be finding it hard to sell in the UK which prevents them from moving.

We've got enough 'rich' old people bleeding our NHS without encouraging more of them over! Wouldn't people moving from the UK have to have medical insurance to live here coz of the reciprocal health deal?

Personally, I'm in favour of relaxing planning to let folk build themselves mansions but I can't help thinking how vile it would be if some company like Dandara were to build more of 'that style' of mansion house, you know, 4 houses crammed together with a patch of grass to the front and back, mock Georgian facade and a water feature in the entrance hall. There's a dead interesting house being built in the Aragon area you can see it from the Blackboards bend, I wouldn't want to live in a house like that but it would be ace to go and look at it, I might have to take a wrong turn up their driveway sometime, call in for a cup of chai.

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of groupings we will always be forced to deal with who is the best lawyer to deal with a property purchase nowadays?

A little late maybe but Quinn Legal did a great job for us - maybe not the absolute cheapest but good to deal with, efficient and straight forward.

Speaking of groupings we will always be forced to deal with who is the best lawyer to deal with a property purchase nowadays?

Sorry if this is duplicated - not sure where to type! Quinn Legal were very good to deal with on our recent purchase - no bull, no time wasting and not too much jargon.

Is it me or are some IOM EA websites just rubbish?

At present Cowlet Groves doesn't work at all, despite registering I've received no updates.

Chrystals works but it's painful to use if you want to flick through the pics quickly.

We've got enough 'rich' old people bleeding our NHS without encouraging more of them over! Wouldn't people moving from the UK have to have medical insurance to live here coz of the reciprocal health deal?

Personally, I'm in favour of relaxing planning to let folk build themselves mansions but I can't help thinking how vile it would be if some company like Dandara were to build more of 'that style' of mansion house, you know, 4 houses crammed together with a patch of grass to the front and back, mock Georgian facade and a water feature in the entrance hall. There's a dead interesting house being built in the Aragon area you can see it from the Blackboards bend, I wouldn't want to live in a house like that but it would be ace to go and look at it, I might have to take a wrong turn up their driveway sometime, call in for a cup of chai.

I think the rich come overs would probably pay for their treatment under their private health schemes. I dont think that they would be a burden on the NHS.

You need to get out a take a look a some of the elegant (not including the round house in Santon :-)) properties which are currently being developed.

As the NHS in the UK declines I would expect people to move to the IOM to take advantage of the IOM's better health provision.

Don't expect many who appear to have money to pay private: there's a lot of 'fur coat and no knickers' on the Island.

I see the day coming when those who retire to the Island (such as myself) will not be automatically eligible for free NHS care.

Archived