Property Sales

Pierrot Lunaire

I used to browse this service a lot in the past, see how the equity status is you know, but they tarted up the site a while ago and ever since I've found it bordering on useless. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, is it permanent and are there other similar recommended resources?

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't you ring and ask the MEA? They probably won't know either.

I'm surprised you don't know actually AT. What with you desperately waiting for the huge crash you've been so long predicting, I imagined you scanning the same service religiously every day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-14715863

The crash; it cometh.... hopefully.

The first time I have actually seen someone not on the Estate Agents' payroll actually publish something that states how screwed our property situation is. Hopefully one day when interest rates actually go up, combined with the current lack of sales, it will actually create some sort of rectification in the IOM property market.

I earn above the first time buyers threshold amount, but with the extortionate costs of rent I can't save a deposit. How does it work that I earn quite a bit above the average wage, but still can't afford a house?

Greed of existing property owners is the only answer.

Why don't you ring and ask the MEA? They probably won't know either.

I'm surprised you don't know actually AT. What with you desperately waiting for the huge crash you've been so long predicting, I imagined you scanning the same service religiously every day.

The 'crash' I have been predicting has actually been happening under our noses, as you can see from the BBC report. Tip of the iceburg stuff as yet, much more to come.

The 'crash' I have been predicting has actually been happening under our noses, as you can see from the BBC report. Tip of the iceburg stuff as yet, much more to come.

I can see nothing of the sort. Although sales have fallen off, what I see is:

"The report shows the average house price on the island to have risen from £280,485 to £290,199 in three years."

Although I agree that price falls are inevitable in the coming climate. My opinion, of course. And what makes the thread subject matter such a useful resource. To one who likes to monitor the actual market that is, rather than the often fanciful asking prices.

I used to browse this service a lot in the past, see how the equity status is you know, but they tarted up the site a while ago and ever since I've found it bordering on useless. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, is it permanent and are there other similar recommended resources?

They still have the listing of recent sales which gives you the vendor, purchaser and the price sold for.

You could always go to the General Registry and examine the property sales there.

I have followed property prices on the Island for many years and in recent listings many houses have been ' on the books 'for over twelve months and longer which leads me to the conclusion that property prices are vastly inflated.

Houses should be for living in and not used as an equity bank,it is this greed that caused the property crash in the UK and will inevitably follow to the Island.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/community/property-sales/latest_property_sales_to_be_recorded_1_3667771

That's the one. Are you able to navigate all around that service, to previous months sales? I can't like I used to be. I wonder if it's a browser issue.

This will give you the historic property sales section.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/community/property-sales/wwio_search_element_7_3834?slotSearch=true&siteId=2.2868&submitted=true&freeTextQuery=property%20sales&action=search&y=17&x=10

"The report shows the average house price on the island to have risen from £280,485 to £290,199 in three years."

Although I agree that price falls are inevitable in the coming climate. My opinion, of course. And what makes the thread subject matter such a useful resource. To one who likes to monitor the actual market that is, rather than the often fanciful asking prices.

I would have thought there would be more accurate monitors for the housing market than Manxforums

I would have thought there would be more accurate monitors for the housing market than Manxforums

You could always ask the Government,you know you would get a straight and honest answer from them. :rolleyes:

It really is a difficult isssue. There are not votes in allowing property prices to fall for all those who are on the ladder and in particular those who have bought at top price and are fully extended re borrowings on the bottom rung.

There are two culprits, government for being to tight over planning permissions in general creating a shortge of developable land and not making it a condition of any development planning that it includes a significant percentage of cheap social or 1st time buyer homes at affordable prices, the second is developers who have created land banks, sat on it, watched prices rise and have made significant profits on the land and the building cost.

Of course we are all also guilty of NIMBYism, which doesn't help. This is down to supply and demand.

The only way out, now, is for Government to control the price of all development land and require substantial social and 1st time housing to be built at cost plus say 10%.

Douglas Corportaion have just compleetd 27 new apartments , two beds, fitted with bathrooms and kitchens, for £2.1 million, ie £77,000 per apartment, they did not use direct labour and already owned the land. Presumably the builder made a profit on the deal. Why then does a basic dandara apartment, or one built by any other private sector developer, cost at least double and in many cases nearer treble.

Of course such a solution means we have to agree to more building at that end, possibly no bad thing with the economic state at present, and we have to decide what to do about the poor unfortunates, having been conned into private ownership dream at too high a price, who will then see the prices of their property fall and many of whom will be in negative equity for years.

Maybe government should offer to buy back at cost, cancel the soft interest loans and grants and then add to the social housing stock and rent out.

The Douglas deal is good, the weekly rents are between £75 and £85, including rates, say £10 pw, so are "returning" close on 5% at social housing rents.

Archived