Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

It's not directly related to wind strength/direction or wave height whilst at sea, it's more to do with manoeuvrability in port.recently sailing times have been changed more frequently because of tidal conditions in Heysham. Combine silting/ poor draft clearancd with wind in the wrong direction and no tug and a fairly low wind speed can affect the ability of a slab sided boat like the Ben to negotiate a 180 degree turn in a confined space.

So what has changed then, has the Ben become less manoeuvrable or increased its draught?, has the port become more silted up?, has the aversion to risk increased?.

The number of sailing cancelled would increase quite markedly if force 6/7 was going to be considered as too bad to sail going forward

or astern !smile.png

• 3 weeks later...

Fun and games on todays sailing ⛵️ to Heysham. Engine trouble with the Ben apparently, its ⛵️ back at 6 and the Manannan doing the night sailing. Unhappy people stuck on the Ben a long time. Its becoming rather traditional at this time of year, a mechanical failure with the Ben, a crash involving the Ben .............

• Like 1

Sailing from Heysham now delayed to 11pm http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/repairs-to-ben-my-chree-continuing/ , apparently a cylinder head problem.

We came back on her yesterday afternoon, a narrow escape because I had intended to return this afternoon but my better half persuaded me to come back on Saturday.

Mile for mile, the Ben must be one of the most reliable vessels sailing the Irish Sea.

I wish cars could be as reliable by comparison. The Ben does a great job, twice a day virtually every day of the year and things wear out at times.

Why don't people come on here and comment every time a plane is delayed?

Oh yeah, the forum would be flooded with posts.

• Like 1

Mile for mile, the Ben must be one of the most reliable vessels sailing the Irish Sea.

I wish cars could be as reliable by comparison. The Ben does a great job, twice a day virtually every day of the year and things wear out at times.

Bristol flight delayed tonight

Bristol flight delayed tonight

... and when something does happen they don't just shrug shoulders and say 'cancelled', they put on an extra sailing (for a handful of passengers) of a fastcraft which has already done round trips to Belfast and Liverpool today, and be just about an hour late in UK.

They also have engineers who can (hopefully) rebuild the engine and more or less resume schedule for freight overnight

• Like 1

Not repaired overnight. Both today's daytime sailings have been cancelled.

I agree with the sentiment that the Ben runs round the clock 24/7/365. It's pushed much harder than the old boats, which, for 6 months of the year, did one 4 hour sailing 6 days per week and even in summer had very few overnight sailings

• Like 3

Not repaired overnight. Both today's daytime sailings have been cancelled.

I agree with the sentiment that the Ben runs round the clock 24/7/365. It's pushed much harder than the old boats, which, for 6 months of the year, did one 4 hour sailing 6 days per week and even in summer had very few overnight sailings

BBC says it's a blown cylinder head so that's not going to get fixed overnight.