Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

42 minutes ago, 360 View said:

Inability to dock in Douglas in poor weather is not limited to the Manxman - 8 years ago, to the day, it was the Ben!  - “Due to gale force SE winds, Ben-my-Chree is currently unable to berth at Douglas. Sufficient moderation is expected between 1930 and 2100 to allow safe approach and berthing.”

IMG_2694.jpeg

I bet you're a right laugh on a night out. Have you got a daily spreadsheet ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, newaccount said:

I bet you're a right laugh on a night out. Have you got a daily spreadsheet ?

No idea what relevance a night out has to do with this.  If you really want to know, a “memory” appeared on FB this morning from 8 years ago, but thanks for your interest/concern in my spreadsheet skills 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

It is now, it wasn't when I posted. That's how time works you see. 

What if it never left? 

IMG_0824.jpeg

• Haha 1

Amadeus's Picture of Failure

Arrow - a backup ship. Mxm cannot do it alone.

Ben - Old ship was to be sold off. Still needed? Fast boat at end of life. That is also to be sold/replace. Expensive.

Manxman - Side by Side comparison, twice the size of the Ben. No wonder it is having issues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amadeus said:

What if it never left? 

Well it seems that's been their main strategy in recent weeks.

It would be nice to have some official comment on her manoeuvrability in harbour when windy. Is this going to be a permanent limitation, or are they still subject to temporary restrictions as they get used to the boat (and/or Heysham silting is dealt with)?

Edited by Yibble
  • Haha 1

Just now, slinkydevil said:

Is it a unique design specifically for IOMSP or an off the shelf design that is used elsewhere? Just looks obvious that the wind is going to catch those high sides.

It’s a one off, designed by marine architects to the specifications ( passengers, cars, lane meters of freight, speed, operational limits of harbours , of the SPCo.

However, it’s the modern off the peg formula/profile used by the likes of Stena, in their e-flexer class and many other modern RoPax designs.

The e-flexers are widely, and successfully,  used, North Sea, Irish Sea, Baltic and across the Bay of Biscay. Two shortened e-flexer versions are being built for BF for the tight harbours at St Malo & Caen Ouistreham. And they’re still longer/higher than Mx.

They're all slab sided, higher and longer. The sail/windage issue is well known as are the solutions, extra power to manoeuvre, tugs on hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2