Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

2 hours ago, Frances said:

I did raise this many pages back but as far as I can see it is the emergency evacuation mode selected that is the key point that requires a double crew - otherwise given that some speed up in loading/unloading would allow the 2 rotations a day that the Ben has done for near 25 years without LOB requirement

The LoB not on duty crew don’t count towards the complement required to operate the evacuation system. The clue is that they aren’t on duty.

Slightly off topic ........... but when making a booking now it is being flagged on some fares that luggage is included. 

Not sure how long this has been the case (wasn't in August) so could the SPC be moving towards a charging for checked luggage model?

UGH - will nobody think of the shoes !🤣

22 minutes ago, JessTickle said:

Slightly off topic ........... but when making a booking now it is being flagged on some fares that luggage is included. 

Not sure how long this has been the case (wasn't in August) so could the SPC be moving towards a charging for checked luggage model?

Yes, I noticed that recently too but couldn't think why they'd include that line. Unless they get loads of people asking if the ticket includes luggage?

Certains given scope to make it a chargable thing going forward though.

31 minutes ago, JessTickle said:

9 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Yes, I noticed that recently too but couldn't think why they'd include that line. Unless they get loads of people asking if the ticket includes luggage?

Certains given scope to make it a chargable thing going forward though.

You may be correct. Or it may be in response to passenger enquiries and to make comparison with flight costs more transparent.

I wonder what it says if you book a foot passenger Liverpool day return? Either Manannan or one of the Mx winter sailings? Historically you weren’t allowed luggage as a day return foot passenger because a day return was often cheaper than a standard single.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I wonder what it says if you book a foot passenger Liverpool day return? Either Manannan or one of the Mx winter sailings?

Not sure.  I booked a couple of days IOM / LPL / IOM.

What I did notice that the alternative sailing to Heysham and the standard fare price did not include this narrative

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

Do you mean the officers or do you mean non-officers or catering, retail, customer service?  Chances are they all have their own arrangements.

I wondered if one HR department paid them all, if so, under which jurisdiction.

2 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

I wondered if one HR department paid them all, if so, under which jurisdiction.

The honest answer is I don't know, however, if it is like many maritime organisations you are looking at a very complex web of organisations being involved.  

The Senior Officers are often employed directly by the organisation and would probably be paid from the Isle of Man.  Your catering/retail staff are probably employed via a different company and paid from wherever that business is based.  The other crew are probably paid via another company and again could be paid from a variety of countries depending where that business is based.  I would find it unlikely that everyone on board is employed directly by SPCo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes we can't admit that civil servants have spent large amounts of taxpayers' money making the wrong decision to satisfy their egos.  We must spend more taxpayers' money instead!

Which "wrong decisions" are you referring to? Have civil servants been involved in the company's strategic decisions? Has that been confirmed?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The quickest way to settle this is sack them all and employ a SE Asian crew being paid a bowl of rice a week each.

Clearly they don't want to "do a P&O" or they would have done it long ago.

7 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Arrow can’t dock until after Manxman leaves in the morning.

So stuff is much later getting u loaded.  Hence the impact to businesses and hence my post.

OK, you're right. Apologies. That certainly will cause trouble in short order.