Money Spent Before Tynwald Approval

slinkydevil

How is an "emergency" defined for stuff like this?

http://www.iomtoday....spend-1-4514904

Emergency is a tad OTT but *very* important it is.

The Manx Electric Railway track runs along the top of the cliffs, there is a footpath nearby and electricity cabling runs underneath the ground in the area. There are also private homes along the top of the cliffs. A scheme was being drawn up to rectify the problem when the collapse happened in November. The collapse forced the closure of the footpath and it remains closed, as does one line of the MER track.

I hardly think that affecting a few yards of track on the MEA could be defined as an emergency in anyone's book. If the main linkspan had collapsed and they couldn't deliver food into Douglas then that is an emergency. This is certainly not an emergency - it's an unfortunate incident and nothing more. Gawne has done this a few times now and he needs to understand that it is not his money to spend on whatever he wants. He is accountable to Tynwald for how his department spends the money allocated to it and if he needs additional cash he has to justify to Tynwald - and by extension the voting public - why. I see the total spend after Island Drainage have had their go is £1.1m so it's hardly chicken feed. Gawne needs to get with the programme - I see that several people in the IoM Newspapers comments have called him arrogant and he is.

Might also beg the question, As Departmental Head, did he even know about it?

Or were his Dept Execs/Civil Servants busy spending taxpayers dollar and quietly doing their own thing?

Or were his Dept Execs/Civil Servants busy spending taxpayers dollar and quietly doing their own thing?

As the MER is involved I'm sure this may be another of Mr Longworths rather frequent 'emergencies' that seem to arise from rather mundane things like leaky buses, diesel train engines needed to cut hedges, or payrises being needed to avert strikes. The guy has cried wolf so many times I'm amazed that any politician is prepared to stand up and justify any spending anymore. Long millions spent on new buses and the laughable need for a diesel loco etc when we are cutting student fees and nursery support. Maybe Gawne fell for this latest 'emergency' on the grounds of it's suggested significant impact on the Manx tourist industry? It would be a real bugger if those 100 elderly tourists we get turned up at Easter and couldn't get a tram to Laxey to buy an ice cream.

How is an "emergency" defined for stuff like this?

http://www.iomtoday....spend-1-4514904

Emergency is a tad OTT but *very* important it is.

The Manx Electric Railway track runs along the top of the cliffs, there is a footpath nearby and electricity cabling runs underneath the ground in the area. There are also private homes along the top of the cliffs. A scheme was being drawn up to rectify the problem when the collapse happened in November. The collapse forced the closure of the footpath and it remains closed, as does one line of the MER track.

If this happened last November then 5 months to action something is not a very convincing response to an EMERGENCY

Archived