Adhd Island

Amadeus

I have no doubt that if you look hard enough you will find a medical or scientific reason for just about every difference in the human race, it doesn't mean they all need medical treatment.

Possibly, though ADHD does not fall into that category. In severe cases it very much needs treatment.

And yet it's how old? Is it a new phenomenon or is it just the need to treat it that is new?

It is a money spinner, some parents that have kids with ADHD get an allowance for "their condition"

Details?

It is a "care allowance" from social.

I know there are some children that are seriously affected with this condition but I also believe there are a large number where it is simply bad behaviour that the parents cannot control.

Catch up will you? It's called DLA (disability living allowance) and it would not be awarded for ADHD alone. There would be other underlying problems, possibly exacerbated by the ADHD, such as ODD, OCD, ASD, GDD, SPLD etc., etc.

DLA is not awarded for medical conditions, it is based on how much additional assistance a person needs and what they need assistance doing. Some with ADHD alone are awarded DLA, some are not - all depends what their individual needs are.

• Like 1

Whilst I appreciate there are children (and parents) who are badly affected by ADHD, autism etc...I think "officials" can be too keen to label children who do not conform to the "norm".

I have a five year old boy, who is so imaginative, it gives me so much pleasure to see him play, in his land of fantasy - he is darth vadar, he is an alien, he is buzz light year - he

loves to play with toys and be a child, running around outside fighting an inter-galactic battle (instead of sat infront of a DS, or playstation..!)

He can read, he can write and academically is on par with his peers.

Imagine my surprise when at a parents evening the teacher requested to us that he "be assessed - professionally" about his develepmental issues - I was like - what for? Is he behind in his work? No was the reply. This

was the reasoning....

He does not sit still when it's story time....... HE'S A FIVE YEAR OLD BOY!

He does not play with toys appropriately - for example when playing shops he uses the play

vegetables as space ships - HE'S A FIVE YEAR OLD BOY!

He changes the subject and does not make eye contact if he does not know the answer to a question, usually talks alot about aliens - HE IS A FIVE YEAR OLD BOY!

He took apart an electrical item and now they won't work - HE IS A FIVE YEAR OLD BOY - he probably wanted to see how it works

He is silly in PE and does not always obey

commands - HE IS A FIVE YEAR OLD BOY

I refused point blank to allow my son to be assessed and labelled with some sort of "condition" at the age of five, because he is not a "sheep"

Don't get me wrong - if I though there was something wrong with my son - I would be the first to seek help, but at the end of the day - he is a five year old boy, he is a child, a little boy,

who will, when he is old enough understand that he is not Darth Vader.

I would much rather have this loving, imaginative playful boy, than a child who lacks imagination

Oh my god - I could have written this post myself. This for my daughter is the 3rd " loop " of authorities thrying to find something wrong with her for very similar reasons you have given above.

They almost convinced me this time - I found myself doubting myself completely when it came to parenting - I was convinced it was my fault. But it's not because there is nothing wrong with her! She is a energy filled, imaginative 6 year old who hates sitting still, prefers to play alone, hums because she loves singing, excellent reader, where she should be at maths, and expresses child like excitement at everything new and exciting.

I have finally allowed them to " monitor " her to prove there is nothing wrong.

They have worn me down and encouraged me to doubt my daughter so I felt I have no choice.

I admire your strength so much. And am glad there is another spirited child

• Like 1

I have no doubt that if you look hard enough you will find a medical or scientific reason for just about every difference in the human race, it doesn't mean they all need medical treatment.

Possibly, though ADHD does not fall into that category. In severe cases it very much needs treatment.

And yet it's how old? Is it a new phenomenon or is it just the need to treat it that is new?

It's called the nanny state... somewhere, someone thinks that you need to conform to a certain standard. And around that standard a whole new branch of medical prognosis and treament is created, all sustained by pharamceutical companies.

Edited by Andy Onchan

Whilst I appreciate there are children (and parents) who are badly affected by ADHD, autism etc...I think "officials" can be too keen to label children who do not conform to the "norm".

I have a five year old boy, who is so imaginative, it gives me so much pleasure to see him play, in his land of fantasy - he is darth vadar, he is an alien, he is buzz light year - he

loves to play with toys and be a child, running around outside fighting an inter-galactic battle (instead of sat infront of a DS, or playstation..!)

He can read, he can write and academically is on par with his peers.

Imagine my surprise when at a parents evening the teacher requested to us that he "be assessed - professionally" about his develepmental issues - I was like - what for? Is he behind in his work? No was the reply. This

was the reasoning....

He does not sit still when it's story time....... HE'S A FIVE YEAR OLD BOY!

He does not play with toys appropriately - for example when playing shops he uses the play

vegetables as space ships - HE'S A FIVE YEAR OLD BOY!

He changes the subject and does not make eye contact if he does not know the answer to a question, usually talks alot about aliens - HE IS A FIVE YEAR OLD BOY!

He took apart an electrical item and now they won't work - HE IS A FIVE YEAR OLD BOY - he probably wanted to see how it works

He is silly in PE and does not always obey

commands - HE IS A FIVE YEAR OLD BOY

I refused point blank to allow my son to be assessed and labelled with some sort of "condition" at the age of five, because he is not a "sheep"

Don't get me wrong - if I though there was something wrong with my son - I would be the first to seek help, but at the end of the day - he is a five year old boy, he is a child, a little boy,

who will, when he is old enough understand that he is not Darth Vader.

I would much rather have this loving, imaginative playful boy, than a child who lacks imagination

Oh my god - I could have written this post myself. This for my daughter is the 3rd " loop " of authorities thrying to find something wrong with her for very similar reasons you have given above.

They almost convinced me this time - I found myself doubting myself completely when it came to parenting - I was convinced it was my fault. But it's not because there is nothing wrong with her! She is a energy filled, imaginative 6 year old who hates sitting still, prefers to play alone, hums because she loves singing, excellent reader, where she should be at maths, and expresses child like excitement at everything new and exciting.

I have finally allowed them to " monitor " her to prove there is nothing wrong.

They have worn me down and encouraged me to doubt my daughter so I felt I have no choice.

I admire your strength so much. And am glad there is another spirited child

It seems like the authorities are scared of anything/one who doesn't conform to the norm must be curtailed. I love spirited kids, they show inter4st in people, surroundings and life in general. They do things their way and usually go on to great things, wether it's in the wide world of work or raising great kids. They should be celebrated!

• Like 1

I wonder how things would have turned out had Einstein, as a toddler, been assessed by govt doktors and given drugs to suppress his disruptive creativity.

I think there's a fine line with all of this. Its a shame OMF took my post out of context earlier as the basis for a rant but I do think that there is too much monitoring going on and too much emphasis on children being expected to conform to normal conventions: the posts from welikethemoon and aquarius explain well what happens when some well intentioned social worker, health worker, or teacher etc gets involved. The parents start doubting themselves and in some cases get convinced there is something wrong when there isn't and end up medicating their kids because of pressure from people who tell them that they know better. Some children are difficult to control and deal with: thats life I'm afraid and if the behaviour is totally extreme then I can understand why people get the medical experts involved and why they use the likes of Ritalin. But I'm sure in many cases its an easy option rather than getting to the root of a childs issues.

Went to A&E couple of weeks ago late in the evening with my wife and son 10years old (had banged his head at school and came home with one of those what to do next, if-- sheets, which dont get me started on that one! but anyway he still had a headache).

Shocked to be asked series of questions by the triage nurse not related to the minor injury, WTF do they need to know if you all live together? for example.

Catch up will you? It's called DLA (disability living allowance) and it would not be awarded for ADHD alone. There would be other underlying problems, possibly exacerbated by the ADHD, such as ODD, OCD, ASD, GDD, SPLD etc., etc.

I've just spat my tea, brilliant. :)

Shocked to be asked series of questions by the triage nurse not related to the minor injury, WTF do they need to know if you all live together? for example.

Pfft thats nothing, my son had munched on some laxatives and the doctor asked if I was concerned about his weight - errrr what you sayin like?

I went to the doctor with an injured arm. I was pretty much in agony.

Me - Doctor, I've hurt my arm

Dr - When did you last have a cervical smear?

Me - I don't remember

Dr - Can I arrange for you to have one?

Me - No thank you

Dr - It's important to keep these things up

Me - Indeed.

Dr - So I'll book you in for a smear then

Me - No thank you

Dr - Do you check yourself regularly?

Me - No

Dr - It's important to keep these things up

Me - Doctor, I don't wish to be difficult but I have an injured arm and I'm in agony. Would you care to take a look? Thank you.

• Like 1

Ironic that ADHD is getting so much attention in this thread.

What about more funding for my pheep, pheep, wobble wobble, feck arf, feck arf, tourettes?

Here's a quid, go buy yourself an ice cream.