How Stupid Can You Get?

woolley

Any advance on............

Our beloved OFT warning today about the poor fool who received an unsolicited text offering loans and since things were a bit tight decided to take up the offer. After making not one but two repayments the victim woke up to the fact that there probably was no loan; just a scam.

You can imagine the fraudsters thinking "no point in doing this, they'll never fall for it" but as they say, there really is one born every minute. They must have been incoherent with glee when not just the first but also the second repayment arrived. Some people are really not safe to be out.

To be fair this kind of stupidity is basically the entire point of having regulated finance so I still feel sympathetic towards the idiot, it's not his fault he's a fool.

If you think that he should be made to face the consequences of such naivety I challenge you to explain why a bank shouldn't bury some bizarre term in your mortgage that allows it to increase the rate to 1000% for a laugh.

(although, yeah, even with the sympathy I still think the guy was a fookwit - he was having to pay back the loan with moneygram ffs stuart.gif) - see this.

Wouldn't be totally surprised if he is making up what the scam was, it may have been a dating scam for example and he doesn't want his wife to know. This is somewhat topical to me because someone at my local is being scammed by a nigerian scammer pretending to be his girlfriend. We've all told him several times with varying levels of tact and it's a really sad situation but I dunno what any of us can do really.

Yes, come to think of it, someone I know was convinced that a 19 year old gorgeous blonde Polish girl in Gdansk was desperate to make mad passionate love to him despite him being 50 and looking not a day less if only he would send her £600 for the fare. He would not be told that it was probably a hairy arsed docker despite usually being quite rational.

Archived