Onch Main Road

Maxmann

What on earth is happening in Onchan? After laying a brand new roadsurface, today they have ripped up a large section, between the Library and the top of Royal Avenue,will we ever see the end to these annoying road works? originally everything was supposed to be finished including the traffic lights in full working order by the 18th December but that is looking highly unlikely now

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cant make omelette's without breaking eggs, I drove through there at the weekend and the centre of the village looks really neat and tidy with the new tarmac and pavements. Royal Avenue was a rough patchwork of tarmac, it now looks like a billiard table.

The wait at the temporary lights can be a bit frustrating but really how many times in a day do you need to go through them? The center of the village will shortly be something the island can be proud of.

The highway people are always slagged on here, sometimes with good reason but they also work in full public view and how many of us can honestly say, in an eight hour working day we are actually working for eight hours, even if we do not do a manual job? None would be the answer.

It looks good and is a massive improvement on what was there, a couple of days after the proper traffic lights are working and the waiting is back to normal, we will all forget about the "inconvenience" no matter how small it really was anyway.

Yes,lets piss money on other unneeded projects just so it looks pretty....I think the original poster was commenting about an already laid stretch of tarmac being ripped up and done again.Why was overtime given yesterday,when the traffic lot were still there today?Its been a right christmas bonus for all doi workers involved.

Onchan is an embarrassment for the DOI.

By the time all that new tarmac has finally been finished and the new pavements installed every shop in Onchan will be bankrupt because for months their customers have been driving into Douglas to shop as Onchan has become such a pain in the a** to use. It will be a lovely ghost town if things go on fir another few months.

some people are never happy, i for one pay my taxes like most others, and to drive on a new stretch of road is a joy for me and my car. hopefully this continues and many more road works are done, the roads here are an absalote disgrace.

We can't even afford to fix pot holes...

Yes,lets piss money on other unneeded projects just so it looks pretty....I think the original poster was commenting about an already laid stretch of tarmac being ripped up and done again.Why was overtime given yesterday,when the traffic lot were still there today?Its been a right christmas bonus for all doi workers involved.

Why are you asking questions when it appears that you seem to be somewhat of an expert?

Why are you asking questions when it appears that you seem to be somewhat of an expert?

Why aren't you answering questions if you are the expert? Were you one of the three blokes I saw tonight trying to get the traffic lights working?

Given the amount of money paid by rate-payers, I'd like to know why so many pavements and residential roads are in such a dilapidated condition. No wonder Peter Karran called the Onchan Commissioners a white elephant. I reckon at least 2/3 of people's rates go to just keeping the commissioners in their job. I remember a few years ago chatting to a former Onchan commissioner who told me quite matter-of-fact that in all his time as a commissioner he didn't do anything but attend pointless meeting after meeting over trivial things which never resulted in any action.

My grandparents have been paying rates for over fifty years, and I don't think the pavement outside their house has been repaired since the Victorian era.

Archived