Onch Main Road

Maxmann

Why are you asking questions when it appears that you seem to be somewhat of an expert?

Why aren't you answering questions if you are the expert? Were you one of the three blokes I saw tonight trying to get the traffic lights working?

Never once have I stated that I'm an expert.

We weren't trying to get them working, we were pre-commissioning and testing prior to full commissioning and switch on tomorrow.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want epic delays, try Ramsey. 6 months to do the stretch from Court Row to Market Hill - no idea on the length of it but it can be walked in less than a minute, and it's a one way street! I just cant even imagine how long it will take to go the other way from Court Row to East Street next year...

ETA - that is a private contractor, not DOI.

Given the amount of money paid by rate-payers, I'd like to know why so many pavements and residential roads are in such a dilapidated condition. No wonder Peter Karran called the Onchan Commissioners a white elephant. I reckon at least 2/3 of people's rates go to just keeping the commissioners in their job. I remember a few years ago chatting to a former Onchan commissioner who told me quite matter-of-fact that in all his time as a commissioner he didn't do anything but attend pointless meeting after meeting over trivial things which never resulted in any action.

My grandparents have been paying rates for over fifty years, and I don't think the pavement outside their house has been repaired since the Victorian era.

Rates dont go towards the upkeep of footways or residential roads unless on a local authority owned and maintained estate. That would be DOI unless unadopted but don't let the facts get in the way of another of your ill informed rants. Why not stand for public office as you seem to have an opinion on everything and low opinions of all incumbents ?

Given the amount of money paid by rate-payers, I'd like to know why so many pavements and residential roads are in such a dilapidated condition. No wonder Peter Karran called the Onchan Commissioners a white elephant. I reckon at least 2/3 of people's rates go to just keeping the commissioners in their job. I remember a few years ago chatting to a former Onchan commissioner who told me quite matter-of-fact that in all his time as a commissioner he didn't do anything but attend pointless meeting after meeting over trivial things which never resulted in any action.

My grandparents have been paying rates for over fifty years, and I don't think the pavement outside their house has been repaired since the Victorian era.

Rates dont go towards the upkeep of footways or residential roads unless on a local authority owned and maintained estate. That would be DOI unless unadopted but don't let the facts get in the way of another of your ill informed rants. Why not stand for public office as you seem to have an opinion on everything and low opinions of all incumbents ?

The DOI is responsible for the upkeep of public PAVEMENTS in residential areas in Onchan? Then why the f-ck do we even bother having Commissioners or paying them rates? What the hell do they do with the money? And if it's the DOI's responsibility, then why aren't they doing anything about it?

The DOI is responsible for the upkeep of public PAVEMENTS in residential areas in Onchan? Then why the f-ck do we even bother having Commissioners or paying them rates? What the hell do they do with the money? And if it's the DOI's responsibility, then why aren't they doing anything about it?

This is what they do with the money: http://www.onchan.org.im/commissioners_information/reports/Signed-Financial-Statements-31March2012.pdf

Im sure there was a quote like it would take 900 years or some similarly crazy length of time to resurface all the footways in the IOM at the current rate. If you report dangerous defects they do get fixed, if they are just unsightly its never going to happen ! Rates pay for bins / public open spaces etc

If you don't walk everywhere you may not notice how bad the pavements are and if you don't drive everywhere you may not notice how bad the roads are.

Equally, you can argue that it's the responsibility of government / commissioners to fix this / that but at the end of the day, if you're a rate paying / tax / N.I paying, road tax paying individual, you'd like to see something done properly, in a timely fashion and not dug up again in a few days / weeks due to lack of communication between the relevant bodies / organisations.

Maybe if we all took the attitude of certain individuals and decided to vote with our wallets things might work out differently - apathy rules though so not enough of us would make the difference.

Won't someone please think about the pavement outside Thomas Jefferson's Gran's house? It hasn't been touched since Victorian times, surely it must be the fault of the Civil Service? tongue.png

The point is not the pavement, it's the fact that she's been paying rates and taxes all her life yet they haven't even fixed the bloody pavement outside her house since Queen Victoria was on the throne. I think she should get a refund.

Your no expert Matt,having to bring a work colleague up on sunday with his kid in tow because you didnt have a clue.Why did you have to be up sunday when there has been traffic people up all this week?Not very cost effective.

Your no expert Matt,having to bring a work colleague up on sunday with his kid in tow because you didnt have a clue.Why did you have to be up sunday when there has been traffic people up all this week?Not very cost effective.

PM sent to inform Mac of the facts so that assumptions aren't used as a feeble way of attacking.

I live in Onchan, & on the whole I think the DoI have done a pretty good job. Ok, so the works may run over a bit, what scheme doesn't ? When you dig up a road you never know what you'll find buried. If its done right it should last well, what will piss me off is if MT or MG come along in 18 months time to add fibre optics or new gas mains etc. & then make a pigs ear of it. Ranting at the commissioners is pointless as they have nothing to do with the roadworks. As for some of the pavements, yes there are quite a few that are in dire need of repair, my mum went A over T in Alberta Drive last year on the uneven slabs. Wrote to comms, no reply, no surprise there. Luckily she's a sprightly 76 yr old & was ok after a few days.

A guy I know at DoI said they were under strict time constraints in Onchan & management were overseeing with more than usual interest which they believed is due to plans being hatched to ditch the workforce & tender all future roadworks, which of course won't affect management as they will have to , we'll manage!!

He also said that there was a bit of delay due to someone forgetting to order something & also inclement weather.

Leave it. Victorian pavements are probably better than the ones they lay now.

Archived