Onch Main Road

Maxmann

What time was the crash? I went through at about 1 and there were people in high vis gear tinkering in the box that contains the light controls.

Not sure what they did mind as the timing was still awful when I went through later on.

Not long before then. Half 12 ish?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time I have been through this week people are still coming down from Onchan Shoprite once the lights turn green on the main road.

have also come down from Onchan Shoprite and gone through a green light to have someone beep at me at the bottom because their lights were green.

Timings are crap. Set a web interface up and let random members of the public have a go at the programming and we'd probably have a better system. Just put them back how they were

What time was the crash? I went through at about 1 and there were people in high vis gear tinkering in the box that contains the light controls.

Not sure what they did mind as the timing was still awful when I went through later on.

Police were there cleaning up when I went past at around 12:15

Just like the whole of Douglas really!

Crash there today, not sure if it was lights related or if anyone was hurt. When we were waiting to get through at the Manxie with the copper still there, our lights went green and two cars came down from the left after ours went green. Something really fucked up about those lights now, take care going through.

Apparently the driver coming down Avondale Road went through on amber (he/she admitted this to the Police), this was at speed after the green light went to amber and then to red, the car from the Main Road imapacted/was impacted with/by the car from Avondale Road.

This has nothing to do with timings but has everything to do with very poor driving and a reluctance to comply with the law.

This has nothing to do with timings but has everything to do with very poor driving and a reluctance to comply with the law.

Could be, but were the old timings a bit more forgiving? They're still not as smooth as they were, having to stop at the second set of lights is still happening far more than it used to. Only remember it happening before when someone pressed the crossing button.

I thought it was just me who thought the new timings weren't right! Sitting on Royal Avenue the lights often just let two cars through before changing, and the filter light to turn right down Royal Avenue doesn't seem always to come on now either.

Even before the lights were fixed there was always the problem of people coming through on Amber and almost crashing into someone on the main road

They were more forgiving though. The set at the top of Royal Ave has always been red if you came down Avondale and turned left but didn't always contain a backlog of people coming from the Corkills end who have gotten stuck between the two because the timing is out.

I was outside the Manx Arms waiting to turn up Avondale Road when two cars came down when the lights had gone onto green, this has also happened to a friend of mine a few times, now I do not believe all Onchanites have become amber gamblers overnight, these lights are certainly too fine tuned.

I was outside the Manx Arms waiting to turn up Avondale Road when two cars came down when the lights had gone onto green, this has also happened to a friend of mine a few times, now I do not believe all Onchanites have become amber gamblers overnight, these lights are certainly too fine tuned.

I have been through the lights countless times now and I have not seen any problems. I do however have a theory and it does involve Amber Gamblers!

People had got used to the temporary lights and the delays etc including, if you just missed going through on green you would have to wait for what seemed like a very long time ( I never timed it but around 1 1/2min to 2min wait?) Anyway as I said, people had got used to the temporary lights and that you could go through them on amber and just after it had turned red ( I saw this on a few occasions) without any problem.

I think people are just taking a chance with the new ones, on amber and red, just like they got used to with the temporary ones and once people get used to the new timings it will all sort its self out.

They are currently thinking "if I dont get through I will have a very long wait", so are chancing it, when infact the wait with the permanent lights is very short, from any direction and shorter it seems, than it was before the new lights, well done Matt!

Archived