Pinewood...more Govt Propaganda

Albert Tatlock

If we do well out of this then all I can say is thank goodness. It was always risky, and despite other comments it certainly was a 'punt'.

It was a very silly thing to do , but it looks like Fast Eddie has got away with it .... this time .... however, in the euphoria which will doubtless follow - with all round back slapping and self congratulation - we should not forget the overall abysmal performance of this government.

One swallow does not a Summer make.

How was taking an equity stake in THE premier film and tv production company in the UK silly when you are looking at creating or diversifying a film/tv based strategy for the island?

Surely the silly thing would have been NOT to take a stake in such a company?

That's nice. But where's the film fund money?

Oh come on Tweek, don't spoil the party, there is no need to mention the odd 50 million quid or so !

ETA .... Whilst the Vat arrangements were in place at the outset of the foray into films it was probably a very good idea to take advantage of those ... For reasons which are unclear, when that arrangement changed the Government did not jump ship and merely carried on investing in second rate productions for little return. The shares were and are a separate issue which look to have been some success.

Indeed the investment in shares of Pinewood itself are a separate issue and should have been subject to the normal scrutiny and due diligence from the EXTERNAL investment managers. The normal Treasury process for this investment was side-stepped or just blatantly ignored by ET & COMIN.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 3

If we do well out of this then all I can say is thank goodness. It was always risky, and despite other comments it certainly was a 'punt'.

It was a very silly thing to do , but it looks like Fast Eddie has got away with it .... this time .... however, in the euphoria which will doubtless follow - with all round back slapping and self congratulation - we should not forget the overall abysmal performance of this government.

How was taking an equity stake in THE premier film and tv production company in the UK silly when you are looking at creating or diversifying a film/tv based strategy for the island?

Does anybody know precisely where our film industry is today? For example how mich is it generating locally?

Does anybody know precisely where our film industry is today?

I think it's in a filing cabinet in Illiam Dohne House.

• Like 1

Does anybody know precisely where our film industry is today?

I think it's in a filing cabinet in Illiam Dohne House.

Mostly in the 50p DVD basket in the pound shop !

• Like 1

When spending our money, the Government seem to have a disastrously bad record - just look at any of the projects over the last 20 years and tell me which ones haven't been ruinously expensive and/or a white elephant. So - given this track record, how can we assume that they are going to suddenly have a Damascean moment and invest in something worthwhile ?

As I said , if this one turns out to have made money then all to the good. It does not however, improve my opinion of them (the government) and their inept bunch of hangers on (the civil service).

• Like 3

Hansard knows everything:

The Hon. Member for Douglas South (Mrs Beecroft) to ask the Minister for the Treasury:

Since the original purchase of Pinewood shares by the Treasury how many are still held; and how many have been sold; when; and for what price?

The Minister for the Treasury (Mr Teare): The details of the Pinewood share transactions are outlined in Table 13.1 as follows:

Table 13.1 Pinewood holding and activity

Date Number of shares Price Comment

4,891,582 Original Holding

13-04-2015 -2,026,827 £3.75 Sale

2,864,755 Outstanding Holding

12-08-2015 -50,000 £4.40 Sale

2,814,755 Outstanding Holding

09-10-2015 -12,500 £4.20 Sale

2,802,255 Outstanding Holding

22-12-2015 -25,000 £4.30 Sale

2,777,255 Outstanding Holding

11-01-2016 -50,000 £4.25 Sale