Pinewood...more Govt Propaganda

Albert Tatlock

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe that our government have, without discussion in Tynwald, 'invested' our money in such a volatile and uncertain business as the film industry!

This is one inept island, it really is! How can those responsible even show their face in public without being pilloried? And I mean both CS and politicians here!

There was a debate and vote for the pinewood investment which had a majority in favour.

And as per usual one might wonder if half of them even knew what they were voting for?

I doubt if anybody outside of Bell, Teare and maybe Skelly know the true facts of this, but I'm tempted to go along with Lib Van's appraisal of what's gone on.

At the end of the day, our elected wise men have ploughed almost £50M of taxpayer's money into the Film Industry over the last 12-odd years.

TANGIBLY, we have the remaining £10M-odd exposure, plus the £5M that we made an additional £2.5M profit on the sale of the shares. Therefore, simplistically speaking, we have £17.5M left of that original £50m. Therefore leaving £32.5M spent on a worthwhile cause or lost, according to your point of view.

Now the story goes that this has brought all manner of intangible, unquantifiable benefits to the Isle of Man as a whole. Though being intangible and unquantifiable (arguably conveniently), nobody seems to be able to define exactly how. Particularly to the tune of £32.5M.

It could however also be argued that this £50M might, under our current fiscal circumstances, with foresight, have been better spent elsewhere. Perhaps staving off NHS dental charges? Maintaining free school buses? Keeping Car Road Tax down for a couple of years maybe? Or even making an equally intangible dent in the MEA/Utilities Debt? Or keeping the Incinerator costs off the Rates for a bit longer....

I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The long and short of it is that the Isle of Man needed to and still needs to diversify its industry and income sources. Be that through tourism, engineering, eGaming, shippping, aircraft, film investment etc etc etc etc.

I believe there has been tangible benefits to the island and I think if you isolated that £6m loss in the Zack Efron film then I think overall things might not look so bad over a 10-12 year period.

We can always sit back at numorous financial decisions and think "that could have been spent here/there" but it doesn't work like that.

I can't believe that our government have, without discussion in Tynwald, 'invested' our money in such a volatile and uncertain business as the film industry!

This is one inept island, it really is! How can those responsible even show their face in public without being pilloried? And I mean both CS and politicians here!

There was a debate and vote for the pinewood investment which had a majority in favour.

And as per usual one might wonder if half of them even knew what they were voting for?

I doubt if anybody outside of Bell, Teare and maybe Skelly know the true facts of this, but I'm tempted to go along with Lib Van's appraisal of what's gone on.

At the end of the day, our elected wise men have ploughed almost £50M of taxpayer's money into the Film Industry over the last 12-odd years.

TANGIBLY, we have the remaining £10M-odd exposure, plus the £5M that we made an additional £2.5M profit on the sale of the shares. Therefore, simplistically speaking, we have £17.5M left of that original £50m. Therefore leaving £32.5M spent on a worthwhile cause or lost, according to your point of view.

Now the story goes that this has brought all manner of intangible, unquantifiable benefits to the Isle of Man as a whole. Though being intangible and unquantifiable (arguably conveniently), nobody seems to be able to define exactly how. Particularly to the tune of £32.5M.

It could however also be argued that this £50M might, under our current fiscal circumstances, with foresight, have been better spent elsewhere. Perhaps staving off NHS dental charges? Maintaining free school buses? Keeping Car Road Tax down for a couple of years maybe? Or even making an equally intangible dent in the MEA/Utilities Debt? Or keeping the Incinerator costs off the Rates for a bit longer....

The long and short of it is that the Isle of Man needed to and still needs to diversify its industry and income sources. Be that through tourism, engineering, eGaming, shippping, aircraft, film investment etc etc etc etc.

I believe there has been tangible benefits to the island and I think if you isolated that £6m loss in the Zack Efron film then I think overall things might not look so bad over a 10-12 year period.

We can always sit back at numorous financial decisions and think "that could have been spent here/there" but it doesn't work like that.

Please what are those tangible benifits?

I have no problem in our government searching and striving to look for opportunities and benifits in order for our country to prosper

Sadly the last decade, two administrations, have shown none or little TANGIBLE benifit for their efforts.

Please if you have examples of those TANGIBLE benifits can you give examples?

I have no problem in our government searching and striving to look for opportunities and benifits in order for our country to prosper

Sadly the last decade, two administrations, have shown none or little TANGIBLE benifit for their efforts.

There are none.

The tangible benefit would have been and gone and bought a Picasso for £50m have it on display for a few years charging admission then selling it for considerable profit.

The film industry...ha, pah and someone connected has creamed off the top, bottom and middle.

• Like 4

...... and I think if you isolated that £6m loss in the Zack Efron film then I think overall things might not look so bad over a 10-12 year period.

From mid 1990's to-date approx £49 million of actual cash has been written off. That's not small change in anyone's language.

• Like 4

From the media development? Profits from films, exposure for the TT from Closer to the Edge and indirect income from film production on the island and most crucially a large benefit to GNP.

I wonder when the cries for a public inquiry will start?

Right now, from little old me, if nobody else.

And it needs to be chaired and staffed by authority outwith this Island, IMHO.

And perhaps the remit could be expanded to look at some other areas of question as well.....

• Like 1