Pinewood...more Govt Propaganda

Albert Tatlock

so, perhaps I'm not following too closely or even at all??, we sell 50% of the shares we had/have at a 50% profit that is stated as being 2.5 million. ( teare gets a hard on ) so did we sell something that was originally 5 million quid for 7.5 million???? based on that we only had 10 million quids worth of shares to start with then?????? where are the other long millions we spent with the film industry????

We didn't sell half the shares. The other millions spent were not on pinewood shares, this is a separate deal.

I can't believe that our government have, without discussion in Tynwald, 'invested' our money in such a volatile and uncertain business as the film industry!

This is one inept island, it really is! How can those responsible even show their face in public without being pilloried? And I mean both CS and politicians here!

• Like 3

I can't believe that our government have, without discussion in Tynwald, 'invested' our money in such a volatile and uncertain business as the film industry!

This is one inept island, it really is! How can those responsible even show their face in public without being pilloried? And I mean both CS and politicians here!

There was a debate and vote for the pinewood investment which had a majority in favour.

• Like 1

I can't believe that our government have, without discussion in Tynwald, 'invested' our money in such a volatile and uncertain business as the film industry! This is one inept island, it really is! How can those responsible even show their face in public without being pilloried? And I mean both CS and politicians here!

There was a debate and vote for the pinewood investment which had a majority in favour.

COMIN block vote. What else would happen?

17 in favour, only 9 in the council of ministers which if I remember correctly included Peter Karren at the time who voted in favour in comin then didn't support in Tynwald. Only 1 against in Legco too.

And as per usual one might wonder if half of them even knew what they were voting for?

I doubt if anybody outside of Bell, Teare and maybe Skelly know the true facts of this, but I'm tempted to go along with Lib Van's appraisal of what's gone on.

At the end of the day, our elected wise men have ploughed almost £50M of taxpayer's money into the Film Industry over the last 12-odd years.

TANGIBLY, we have the remaining £10M-odd exposure, plus the £5M that we made an additional £2.5M profit on the sale of the shares. Therefore, simplistically speaking, we have £17.5M left of that original £50m. Therefore leaving £32.5M spent on a worthwhile cause or lost, according to your point of view.

Now the story goes that this has brought all manner of intangible, unquantifiable benefits to the Isle of Man as a whole. Though being intangible and unquantifiable (arguably conveniently), nobody seems to be able to define exactly how. Particularly to the tune of £32.5M.

It could however also be argued that this £50M might, under our current fiscal circumstances, with foresight, have been better spent elsewhere. Perhaps staving off NHS dental charges? Maintaining free school buses? Keeping Car Road Tax down for a couple of years maybe? Or even making an equally intangible dent in the MEA/Utilities Debt? Or keeping the Incinerator costs off the Rates for a bit longer....

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Like 5

17 in favour, only 9 in the council of ministers which if I remember correctly included Peter Karren at the time who voted in favour in comin then didn't support in Tynwald. Only 1 against in Legco too.

Given what is unfolding on this appalling waste of public money would our intrepid guardians in Tynwald and espescially Legco do the same? Yes, because they continually fail to do what there employed to do and that is ensure checks and balances on the Executive.

• Like 1

There are no votes in CoMin, 'consensus' is enough to get a policy through.

It is just as well that there are no votes. Otherwise those members of this most secret enclave who might have had the temerity to vote against a Comin resolution or edict (much less make their opposition to any Comin policy known in public) would pretty soon find themselves out of Comin and considerably worse off as a result. It is a basic fault of Comin and, is it any wonder that they are kicking and screaming against any thing other than a totally watered down and virtually useless freedom of information policy.

Surely everyone must realise that a considerable amount of money has disappeared out of all aspects of the Pinewood investment. But nobody knows, or is admitting, just how much and where exactly where it went.

Oh sorry Eddie, yes of course - commercial confidentiality.

• Like 2

There are no votes in CoMin, 'consensus' is enough to get a policy through.

It is just as well that there are no votes. Otherwise those members of this most secret enclave who might have had the temerity to vote against a Comin resolution or edict (much less make their opposition to any Comin policy known in public) would pretty soon find themselves out of Comin and considerably worse off as a result. It is a basic fault of Comin and, is it any wonder that they are kicking and screaming against any thing other than a totally watered down and virtually useless freedom of information policy.

Surely everyone must realise that a considerable amount of money has disappeared out of all aspects of the Pinewood investment. But nobody knows, or is admitting, just how much and where exactly where it went.

Oh sorry Eddie, yes of course - commercial confidentiality.

As I said right at the beginning of the GNU administration..... if you take a seat in COMIN then you will only have got there because of Bell's Shilling. Few in COMIN would have the National interest at heart except, of course, Karran.

• Like 3

As a very successful island businessman said to me a few days ago "you don't seriously think Bell wants a freedom of information act do you"

I guess he had a point !

Which is precisely why FOI requests are to be limited only to concerns post-2010(?) and personally vetted by Bell himself, as proposed.

I suspect that a) many skeletons rattle in many cupboards and b) a goodly portion of his psyche is control-freak.

Remember the demands for "unity" upon his taking office, the prompt sacking of dissenters (Hall, Karran, Henderson). The man is a megalomaniac. Fortunately, largely confined to a rock in the middle of the Irish Sea.