Google Discrimination On The Iom

manxmuppet

What?

I've seen a PC user here getting onto sites via one PC that he couldn't with another because the PC was configured to access via a proxy.

Lord alone knows what Sure and MT are up to, when I get networking issues that go crazy (and they do) I try to find exactly how the packets are reaching the outside world.

It took a very experienced guy I work with some months to get a bad load balancer replaced, it was driving us nuts due to a bug in the firmware. Different type of problem, but if it works when logged in then...

I've seen a PC user here getting onto sites via one PC that he couldn't with another because the PC was configured to access via a proxy.

Like I said, it's the same pc, the same browser, so the same connection including ip address or any transparent proxies. Signed in, full store access, signed out nothing. My boy's account signed in, nothing. So it's flagged my account as UK somehow. Others have posted here that the same thing happened when they used Play store vouchers, but I've not done that. Might be because I have a phone on MT and it's decided the account on that is allowed access when I sign in from anywhere. Could do with a way of making my boys account full though, he's not got an android phone.

Lord alone knows what Sure and MT are up to, when I get networking issues that go crazy (and they do) I try to find exactly how the packets are reaching the outside world.

It took a very experienced guy I work with some months to get a bad load balancer replaced, it was driving us nuts due to a bug in the firmware. Different type of problem, but if it works when logged in then...

Cool story, but I think this is irrelevant in this case.

PC World said it is a manx telecom problem, Manx telecom said Google aren't interested in the Isle of Man they are a huge international company but they are talking to them, the BBC said they can't reply to all the emails sent to them but if it wasn't already on the list of FAQ (read complaints) they would try & get back to me.

Sky said they would hope to get back to me within 24 hrs.

Manx telecom also confirmed that if I went across with my Android device & downloaded BBC i player the app would work when

I got back to the IOM, the same was true of most other apps that "are not available in your country"

I have read that the other Channel Islands have the same problems, so Google aren't interested in off shore banking then ?

The below is a recent reply from the BBC regarding iPlayer access. It does not say or help too much, but I suppose they at least responded promptly.

I’m sorry to read that you’re unable to download the BBC iPlayer and BBC Media Player apps from Google Play in the Isle of Man.

This is a bug in the Google Play store which also affects the Channel Islands and has subsequently been raised with our Google representatives.

I trust that the matter will be rectified in due course.

For any further update please keep referring to the FAQ on our BBC iPlayer help site at:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile_iplayer/droid_app

Nevertheless, your enquiry has been used to inform a daily report which is sent to the BBC iPlayer team, including the head of BBC iPlayer.

Once again thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer.

Northwest 200 practice was on today on BBC media player but not for Android on manx telecom users, TT is next ! but not for not if you bought an Android device from manx telecom. But be comforted that th BBC i player website is saying if you downloaded the app in the UK you can use it in the Isle of Man !

Edited by wopitstic

Northwest 200 practice was on today on BBC media player but not for Android on manx telecom users, TT is next ! but not for not if you bought an Android device from manx telecom. But be comforted that th BBC i player website is saying if you downloaded the app in the UK you can use it in the Isle of Man !

Just installed the BBC Media Player app using my galaxy nexus on manx telecom just fine. Went to the nw 200 site on the bbc and the browser plays the video perfectly.

Doesn't work in Chrome though, had to use the android stock browser, but your post isn't entirely correct.

As detailed in other theads, set up a UK VPN on the phone, force close the Play Store then open it up again. Agree to the terms and conditions and disconnect the VPN. Full access to the UK store for a while until it times out.

I used www.getukvpn.com as it was one of the first free ones that popped up on google. Works a treat. iPlayer and Sky Go work perfectly from here, it's just getting the app downloaded that's the niggle.

• Like 1

Just installed the BBC Media Player app using my galaxy nexus on manx telecom just fine. Went to the nw 200 site on the bbc and the browser plays the video perfectly.

Doesn't work in Chrome though, had to use the android stock browser, but your post isn't entirely correct.

I use BBC i player & Media player on my laptop all the time but that is Windows. the problem is only on Android, and manx telecom know about it and are talking to Google. But I got the impression that they aren't that bothered. The message I get is this app is not available in your country. How you have got it to work I don't know, my samsung galaxy tab 2 & galaxy mini phone won't get past it & I know I can use a UK VPN but I shouldn't have to !

Are we outside the UK for copyright purposes?

I'd love to know.

Despite having an audible.co.uk (ownded by Amazon) account for years I couldn't purchase Inferno recently because my address was IOM and not UK. I could change the IOM line of my address to UK and buy it though.

I didn't in the end, I just bought the Kindle version from Amazon

I don't think they know what they're doing