Google Discrimination On The Iom

manxmuppet

I'd agree. I'm on iPhone four using iOS 6 point whatever and the App Store seems fine

It's ok provided you keep your updates up to date. It's not as nice as android where you can tell some apps to auto update etc, and it handles queueing of the downloads very badly. Updates frequently get 'stuck' on 0% and block all other updates etc.

• 2 months later...

We pay a full TV license to the BBC but you can't access BBC i player on an Android device, if you go across & find a WiFi hot spot

download the app & then return you have access ! But to balance things out if you subscribe to SKY & you want to use the free

SKY GO service on an Android you can't use that either. Some one is taking the piss the thing is who Manx telecom Google or the BBC ?

Received my Nexus 7 last week and astounded at the Google Play issue and the inability to get iPlayer. It's ridiculous. I have had enough of Apple but need a workable alternative. Looks like I will be waiting a while yet. Fortunately (?) in England next week so can download a few apps....

• Like 1

BBC

Wrong

Iplayer works fine on all devices apart from google ones.

Blame google (but then don't really blame them, as they are a huge setup and the fact that a population of 80,000 which maybe equates to about 10,000 users can't access some stuff probably doesn't even register with them)

Lots of info in this thread you may find useful.

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54276-paid-apps-android/

Seems to be a bit random for me whether I can access the Play store with a naked connection. Sometimes it works over 3g (Sure) and sometimes not. Also have varying results on both MT and WiManx broadband. That might be a cache thing though as I'm flicking between all three of them throughout the day.

Have to say it's mostly working now as opposed to not at all though.

Whatever's changed seems to be account related. Signed out using a pc & browser I can only see free stuff. Signed in I can see everything, paid apps, books, music, devices.

On my phone (galaxy nexus MT) I can see everything. On my sons Nexus N7 (wimanx, wifi only), he can still only see free apps.

Situations improved but still not fully sorted. Working out why some devices work and some don't, nfi.

Check out the IP address assigned to the devices (obviously) and see where they are registered?

It's not that simple. Like I said, if I access it in a browser (tried Domicilium and Wimanx), it works if I'm signed in but not if I'm out, so that's got nothing to do with IP, must be my account. My google account shows my 'last signed in countries as 'Isle of Man, United Kingdom', so they know where my account is.

My phone (galaxy nexus) has a sim card, so they're not getting my location using geoip (I've had this confirmed by a googler, sim card is their first preference), but it's also signed in with my google account anyway. The N7 is on my boys google account. My boy's google account in a browser doesn't have access to the store.

So it's deffo account related, I just don't know what's made google give my account has full store access all of a sudden.