Google Discrimination On The Iom

manxmuppet

I appreciate this is a thread from the vaults, as is https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54276-paid-apps-android/

However, I'm wondering if anyone has any updates on this problem. I've come across a couple of apps recently that aren't available here when they should be.

I have the Garmin Forerunner download on pc, but I get the dreaded "Not available in your country" on Android. Yes, I could do VPN, but we shouldn't bloody have to. It's not like we're getting a cut price service, is it? Another troublesome app is the Channel 5 My5 one.

Any info appreciated.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

I appreciate this is a thread from the vaults, as is https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54276-paid-apps-android/

However, I'm wondering if anyone has any updates on this problem. I've come across a couple of apps recently that aren't available here when they should be.

I have the Garmin Forerunner download on pc, but I get the dreaded "Not available in your country" on Android. Yes, I could do VPN, but we shouldn't bloody have to. It's not like we're getting a cut price service, is it? Another troublesome app is the Channel 5 My5 one.

Any info appreciated.

I use Aptoide as an app downloader...seems to by-pass those issues. Used it for a few years.

I heard Starbuck's wifi also uses a VPN or something...but not sure how true that is still. Think I had the same IOM issue with the Tesco app last time and downloaded it there.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I heard Starbuck's wifi also uses a VPN or something

A while ago I had a problem (maybe Covid registration or related); at the Sure shop they said "Yes, it's a known problem. Go and have a coffee at Starbucks and use their free wi-fi".

Which rather conflicts with the opinion of people who think that the IoM is at the forefront of the leading edge...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Both phone companies here are antibusiness.

Rip-off mobile charges...and shit at interconnecting IOM businesses to the wider world, as it does not suit their financial interests and rip-off business models do.

Government are inept and should have sorted all this years ago.

It's not really to do with Govt, it's Google not applying the proper region controls to IOM residents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1