Mail On Line Report On Tt

John

The more compassionate approach, would be to jump on a motorcycle and race past the crash site, I suppose?

Well, given that those injured were likely to have been front row, bottom of Bray Hill, which would have necessitated a very early start & were probably very exited at what was shaping up to be and was the most exiting race in a long time, I think it would maybe more appropriate to take their wishes and others like them into account. I would imagine if you had interrupted their hospital treatment to ask their opinion you would not have found a single one who would agree that the race should be abandoned & I'm sure the tens of thousands of other fans dotted around the circuit would not either.

I sincerely hope all involved recover from their injuries speedily. I couldn't give a flying fuck if you ever recover from your embarrassment.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would have been achieved by not running the race?

The race was stopped immediately, the incident was dealt with, and the race was re run. Do you think they would hav carried on if there were 11 deaths.

Motorsport is dangerous and people make an informed decision on if the wish to go and watch or not. I have watched at Bray Hill many times, but from the end of Tromode Road with a clear escape route behind me. I have etched from the other side for evening practice when it is quieter and I have a clear planned escape. Personally I wouldn't watch from there if I was surrounded by people, and I wouldn't sit where those people were injured this afternoon under any circumstances. That's my risk analysis and my decision.

This afternoon the bikes were passing my feet by about 2 metres at probably 180mph on the Cronk y Voddy. I assessed the danger against the thrill and decided I thought it was a safe location, I also made sure I and my son watched every bike and knew exactly where we would go if things looked like they were going wrong.

There are plenty of other places where other people choose to sit which I think are too high risk.

People make their own choices in life. Anyone who sits at the bottom of Bray Hill and assumes there will never be an accident there is an idiot, it's up to spectators as individuals where they sit other than the obvious restricted areas which have been deemed to be too unsafe by officials.

Accidents happen and this was a genuine accident, a racer lost control of his bike for whatever reason and unfortunately this resulted in spectators being injured, some more serious than others, fortunately there were no fatalities and I'm sure that it was a very terrifying incident for all those involved and those who witnessed it.

No. Anyone involved in safety knows that you don't just go "it was an accident nothing could be done".

The questions that have to be asked after every serious injury should attempt to understand how to reduce the likelihood of it happening again.

And proactively put in place measures to reduce serious injuries and deaths.

Accidents happen and this was a genuine accident, a racer lost control of his bike for whatever reason and unfortunately this resulted in spectators being injured, some more serious than others, fortunately there were no fatalities and I'm sure that it was a very terrifying incident for all those involved and those who witnessed it.

No. Anyone involved in safety knows that you don't just go "it was an accident nothing could be done".

The questions that have to be asked after every serious injury should attempt to understand how to reduce the likelihood of it happening again.

And where, exactly, does it say that won't be done?

I didn't say nothing should be done, I'm saying it was an accident and with certain accidents there is little or nothing that anything could have been done, as in this case other than not have a race or not have any spectators. Whilst I appreciate that what occurred was pretty horrific and terrifying I'm also fairly confident that those involved or moreover the vast majority of society really don't want to live in a fully immersed nanny state and be dressed in a bubble wrap onesie, life after all, is a existence of constant risks.

Hmmm, I can see see similarities in the accuracy of you description of events. You don't work for the daily wail do you? If not it may be worth firing your CV in to them, they'll probably snap you up!

What has Declan said which is inaccurate about the accident? 11 people were injured, some I think with life changing injuries, and the organisers' reaction ... 'The show must go on'.

Wiki shows 50 people have died since the start of 2000 including riders, marshals and spectators in the TT and the MGP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Snaefell_Mountain_Course_fatal_accidents

But you don't thing that's anyone's business do you, Monkey Boy?

Well firstly he said that all that was happened was the debris was swept up & the competitors sent out. If you think that is accurate you are a moron.

The race was red flagged at 13:07 & didn't restart until 16:30. In that time all casualties were rushed to hospital & treated & all necessary investigations taken place. All safety measures were put back in place & Nobles was consulted on having the required resources to support the restart of the race.

Would you care to name your source for the "some with life changing injuries" or is that just similarly inaccurate hype that you have decided to throw in to back up your point of view?

The statistic you've linked to are widely available in the public domain & I'm not aware of anyone, myself included, who have tried to keep them from being that way or would suggest that they aren't anybodies business!

I'm happy to hear your point of view - I think it maybe helpful if you stick to facts though, rather than wild speculation.

I'm happy to hear your point of view .

Abusing someone for their post doesn't make you look happy to hear anything.

I imagine this crash will have some impact on next years race. There's already large parts of the course where you're not allowed to watch for safety reasons, this crash can only extend that.

I'm glad the race didn't take as many lives this year, but it seems like that daily mail article was poised to strike the second something happened this year.

Would you care to name your source for the "some with life changing injuries" or is that just similarly inaccurate hype that you have decided to throw in to back up your point of view?

I wonder if we are both watching ITV4 at the moment?

The course doctor at the start of the program said that one person still needed observation in Emergency Care and they and others would need on going operations. Calling that experience "life changing" doesn't seem "hype" to me.

There was nothing inaccurate about the post that this was in reply to:

So 11 people are injured and all you give a shit about is what other people think of you! Your compassion is very touching. Dickhead.

He's entitled to feel the same way about the TT as you do. Many people don't like the negative press it gives the island like in the example quoted in this thread.

I wonder if we are both watching ITV4 at the moment?

The course doctor at the start of the program said that one person still needed observation in Emergency Care and they and others would need on going operations. Calling that experience "life changing" doesn't seem "hype" to me.

Well it does to me. There's nothing to suggest any of these peoples life will be changed by what has happened, apart from your own imagination.

There was nothing inaccurate about the post that this was in reply to:

So 11 people are injured and all you give a shit about is what other people think of you! Your compassion is very touching. Dickhead.

He's entitled to feel the same way about the TT as you do. Many people don't like the negative press it gives the island like in the example quoted in this thread.

Fair enough, I just think of all the emotions to feel in the wake of 11 injuries, embarrassment is one of the more selfish and unhelpful ones.

I don't particularly like the negative press the negative press tax dodging gives the island - I feel assured enough in my opinion no to sensationalise it with inaccurate claims though.

I knew exactly where we would go if things looked like they were going wrong.

At 180mph, that would be the undertakers.

Your notion that you could magically hop out of the way is ludicrous.

You make sure there is a wall you can duck behind, a bank you can disappear down or athe very least space to move. Never turn your back on an approaching bike.

No where is 100% safe, but the number of people you see boxed in to an area where a bike might well end up and who then proceed to turn their back on the bikes to chat amazes me.

From what I have heard the bike today went into a bit of a tank slapper at the end of Malvern Raod. When I watch at the end of Tromode Road I am behind the wall to the house attached to what used to be Bradley's shop. Someone paying attention in that location would have time to duck behind the wall and increase their chance of not being hurt by putting two walls between them and the out of control bike.

Archived