Mail On Line Report On Tt

John

Racing bikes at 200 mph on crap Isle of Man roads is inherently unsafe, as is standing a few feet away while they thunder by. And long may it continue. I hope all those injured make full recoveries and imagine that they'll all be out watching it again next year.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I have heard the bike today went into a bit of a tank slapper at the end of Malvern Raod. When I watch at the end of Tromode Road I am behind the wall to the house attached to what used to be Bradley's shop. Someone paying attention in that location would have time to duck behind the wall and increase their chance of not being hurt by putting two walls between them and the out of control bike.

Is that how people should watch the TT? What about kids?

I think you're (Monkey Boy) reading a little much into a word (embarrassment) that I foolishly used to tenuously tie the point I wished to make (that the race shouldn't have been re-started) to the opening post.

Personally, I'm not that bothered about what the rest of the world think about the Island due to the TT. Negative and positive probably balance out, but most of the World aren't that interested in the TT anyway.

So when I heard of the crash, naturally, my first thought wasn't embarrassment (after all at that point I didn't know that they'd callously restart the race) but concern.

When I heard they'd restarted the race my emotion was incredulity.

The TT ...

Riders who know the risks.

Spectators who know the risks.

Both groups more than capable of making well informed intelligent decisions.

The event is the greatest spectacle in motorsport bar none.

My thoughts are with all those involved in this tragic accident.

Personally I wouldn't bring my kids to the bottom of Bray Hill. I'm not keen on grandstand seating if there's a chance you'll need to dive out of the way, and they wouldn't be able to see much on the ground because of the crowds. There's been a few tankslappers there over the years so as sad as it is it's not a total surprise that machinery has gone flying. Thank god it wasn't worse.

I knew exactly where we would go if things looked like they were going wrong.

At 180mph, that would be the undertakers.

Your notion that you could magically hop out of the way is ludicrous.

You make sure there is a wall you can duck behind, a bank you can disappear down or athe very least space to move. Never turn your back on an approaching bike.

No where is 100% safe, but the number of people you see boxed in to an area where a bike might well end up and who then proceed to turn their back on the bikes to chat amazes me.

From what I have heard the bike today went into a bit of a tank slapper at the end of Malvern Raod. When I watch at the end of Tromode Road I am behind the wall to the house attached to what used to be Bradley's shop. Someone paying attention in that location would have time to duck behind the wall and increase their chance of not being hurt by putting two walls between them and the out of control bike.

100% correct. It can't be made completely safe, but having witnessed many crashes I do the same and make sure I am behind something solid or well out of the firing line, and absolutely never turn away from the traffic flow.

If you are going to go somewhere there is a high risk of a crash then yes. Kids shouldn't be at the bottom of bray hill.

How's the bottom of bray hill, ie on a straight bit of road not the outside of a corner a high risk spot?

Nom: do kids watching the race know the risks? There's no restriction on who can watch. If the race is as risky to watch as posters here are suggesting, how do you safeguard those that might not be aware of those risks without controlling admission?

I

Why? What would you have done assuming you had the same information as the organisers and what would have been the benefit over running the race three and a bit hours later once the incident was dealt with?

Slim there's been a few crashes on Bray Hill over the years.

Kids should be in the care of someone there. Do many children watch the races unaccompanied? I've not noticed but then I don't go out and watch much.

I think you're (Monkey Boy) reading a little much into a word (embarrassment) that I foolishly used to tenuously tie the point I wished to make (that the race shouldn't have been re-started) to the opening post.

Personally, I'm not that bothered about what the rest of the world think about the Island due to the TT. Negative and positive probably balance out, but most of the World aren't that interested in the TT anyway.

So when I heard of the crash, naturally, my first thought wasn't embarrassment (after all at that point I didn't know that they'd callously restart the race) but concern.

Fir enough, I accept that, but what purpose would not restarting the race achieve? As I have said, I am sure non of those involved would have wanted it. What you interpret as "callous" is anything but, nobody involved with the racing would like this kind of thing to happen & to suggest that anybodies actions were callous is rubbish.

Not restarting the race would merely have been a grand gesture to publically show sympathy for those involved. I'm sure they understand road racing enough to know that such sympathy could be assumed & would not like to see such a pointless decision made to placate someone who obviously doesn't.

Slim there's been a few crashes on Bray Hill over the years.

Kids should be in the care of someone there. Do many children watch the races unaccompanied? I've not noticed but then I don't go out and watch much.

I don't know, but they're off school and free to go about where they like. There's nothing preventing them from watching at those places not already marked as unsafe.

If you are going to go somewhere there is a high risk of a crash then yes. Kids shouldn't be at the bottom of bray hill.

How's the bottom of bray hill, ie on a straight bit of road not the outside of a corner a high risk spot?

Nom: do kids watching the race know the risks? There's no restriction on who can watch. If the race is as risky to watch as posters here are suggesting, how do you safeguard those that might not be aware of those risks without controlling admission?

Brat Hill is not a straight bit of road at 30mph, let alone 170!

Archived