Why Do People Whinge.

WilDDog

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe they should have a crackdown on single drivers during the TT period, that would help?

Yeah, think of all the bikers that would screw up!

Edit - Added quote, as new page

"Good evening sir, is this your vehicle?"

"Yes officer, it is."

"Alright, are you married yet?"

"No officer, not yet."

"Okay, please step out of the vehicle with your hands by your sides, you have the right to remain silent........"

Stav.

:P

Maybe they should have a crackdown on single drivers during the TT period, that would help?

Yeah, think of all the bikers that would screw up!

Edit - Added quote, as new page

"Good evening sir, is this your vehicle?"

"Yes officer, it is."

"Alright, are you married yet?"

"No officer, not yet."

"Okay, please step out of the vehicle with your hands by your sides, you have the right to remain silent........"

Stav.

:P

Single - Yes you have the right to remain silent.

Married - you have no choice but to remain silent.

;)

My view on the whole TT 'keep or kill' debate is based solely on what it costs versus what it generates.

This year's budgeted expenditure for 'TT Races and Festival' is £1.75m add to that a proportion of the budget for the Special Events Unit (as 25%) that’s another £300k. What does the event generate for the Island? This I don't know nor have I found. There doesn't seem to be any stats available (I haven't looked too hard yet) that gives some idea of revenue generation. (For the Manx economy) Sure there will be intangible benefit (Island's profile, reputation etc) But I would be happier to see hard cash returns.

Any views or better still evidence of return?

Well....quick calculation would suggest that the 50,000 people who visit during TT would only have to spend £40 each here to spend £2M - I reckon they spend at least £500 per head (probably more like an average of £800-£1000 including travel/accomodation etc) making a total spend of at least £25 million. The VAT alone on that would be over £3 million. Not to mention the social benefits from those they're spending with and all their staff.

Plus I suppose there's an income of sorts from the various advertisers, sponsors etc. And Men & Motors who televise it probably pay something to someone.

Then there's thriving local companies like Greenlight TV, Duke Video who probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for the TT but as it is employ a lot of people.

Also (I think) there is an entry fee to race.

Locals spend more too of course, as do local and off-Island companies with local advert mediums like Radio TT, local papers, the TT Programme etc.

Then there are the tourists who don't visit during TT but do visit because of it (probably come under your "profile/reputation" comment) all year round.

£1.7M is peanuts compared to the income made.

• 4 years later...

Love the TT and the atmosphere, but love the island and everything about it. Theres good and bad points to everything, everywhere. Just wish the council would provide more bins and toilet facilities during the whole festival and so the place is cleaner looking. You do see people putting their rubbish close to bins mostly.

:cool::cool::cool:

What's interesting though is simillar threads now take a much stronger anti-TT line. Certainly, I'm much less positive towards the TT than I would have been in 2005.

Interesting. Why would you say that is?

Is it partly age, and the fact that downing a few pints in Busheys, or crawling through hedges to watch the bikes no longer has the same appeal?

Is it not as well run as it used to be?

Have you moved house or job, so that you are inconvenienced more?

Does the carnage no longer seem to be a price worth paying?

Do you think it has no future?

Have you lost an earlier interest in bikes?

Or what?

S

Well to go back to the original question, I fully agree, we moved here and have done our best to fit in to the ways here and found no problems along with finding some Manx folk accepting us more. I have met a lot of comeovers who constantly winge about things and these I find are the ones want to change things. SO my message to them is you have come to a new country with a different culture and way of life, so either adapt of fuck of back and stop giving those of us willing to embrace this way of life a bad name.

Well to go back to the original question, I fully agree, we moved here and have done our best to fit in to the ways here and found no problems along with finding some Manx folk accepting us more. I have met a lot of comeovers who constantly winge about things and these I find are the ones want to change things. SO my message to them is you have come to a new country with a different culture and way of life, so either adapt of fuck of back and stop giving those of us willing to embrace this way of life a bad name.

This is a theme that you like to revisit from time to time I've noticed. But it's still meaningless bluster.

Slightly changed the order of your questions Sebrof, hope you don't mind...

Is it partly age, and the fact that downing a few pints in Busheys, or crawling through hedges to watch the bikes no longer has the same appeal?

Maybe, I've given up drinking in that time, but it's only four years ago so age is not that much of a factor.

Have you moved house or job, so that you are inconvenienced more?

n/a

Does the carnage no longer seem to be a price worth paying?

I guess it is a factor, in that as you get older, and you lose more people close to you, you get a greater understanding of the impact behind the news report that someone died on the mountain. That said I think the racers probably are aware of the risks, so it wouldn't be right to ban the TT just to protect them from themselves.

I have more concern for the recklessness of bikers and drivers on our roads during TT, because the additional risks to ordinary folk. This I think this concern has probably increased due to youtube footage of people having a blast over the mountain and also that at other times of the year renegade speeders visit the Island from across.

Have you lost an earlier interest in bikes?

I grew out of an interest in cars and bikes by the time I was ten.

Is it not as well run as it used to be?

This is the case. I've always seen that there are three types of people on the Island - TT fans, anti-TT-ers and neutrals. Traditionally, the neutrals have sided with the TT fans because the inconvenience has not been that great and the atmosphere round the place , extra events, concerts have been beneficial.

From the Centenary TT onwards the quality of the concerts on offer has declined dramitically especially at the Villa (2007 - none at the Villa in favour of the raggerdy ass remains of what used to be the Who out at Peel, 2008 - Status Quo, 2009 - tribute acts and Whitesnake).

Similarly, until relatively recently it was good fun to just wander along the Prom in TT Week. Drop into the Tent, see the lights of the fair, sit on the wall and watch the passers by, see people you've not seen all year. Most of that's gone now - it's even a Health and Safety Violation to sit on the wall and I've had a can of pop confiscated. Really all that's left is being manhandled by a High-Viz goon whilst trying to watch a band in the tent.

So the TT is less fun, but it has also become more hassle just moving around in TT week. And I think this is the fault of the organisers, well the DTL mainly. Take this year's TT, after the mess they made of the last MGP and the public outcry that followed they went into this year knowing that during the period between 5-6 should be avoided as much as possible. So they propose four nights of practices starting at 5pm. There's massive protest, and they back down, seemingly these very important practices were no longer needed. Then the fortnight comes along, and for once the weather is favourable - one day and one shower. And still the roads shut at 5pm on two work evenings. Now that was probably unavoidable on the day it showered out in the West delaying the start, but there were better options for dealing with the loss of the Saturday, which due to the lack of forward planning they couldn't use.

So the pluses have decreased and minuses have increased. I can't help noticing this coincides with Brown ascension to the position of Chief Minister and the appointment of first Earnshaw and then Quayle to the DTL.

Do you think it has no future?

One of the problems is that any criticism of the TT is met with "we've been doing it for 102 years, if you don't like it leave", but we haven't been doing it this badly for 102 years.

I would be very loathed to see it go, because once it's gone I don't think it can be brought back. BUT it is not sacrosanct, whether we have one or not should be up for discussion. Personally, I say give it five years and hopefully improvements will be made the benefits will outweigh the negatives again.

You know I find you attitude very dangerous jimbms. I recall the eighties when the Island was dying and in need of change and modernisation and the loudest voices against this change came from new residents who'd grown disenchanted with England and seemed to want to turn the Island into a museum piece.

Luckily, the modernisation forces won out and nineties and most of this decade have good and relaxed and positive. I think this was because we were outward looking and more confident (as I imagine we were in the 50's and 60's tourist heyday). But lately, we've become insular, and negative and the Island is a less pleasant place for that. And again I'm hearing "we don't want to end up like England" and "oh it's just like across twenty years ago" and again it's from new residents.

But I don't want to live in a facsmilie of 80's England. I want to live in a modern confident 21st Century Isle of Man.

Archived