50 Mph Speed Limit On Mountain

snakebite

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be a temporary 50mph speed limit from the Ramsey Haipin to the Black Hut daily from 09:30 to 16:30. Traffic lights will opperate along the area of the mountain mile to enable edge carriageway repairs and drainage work to take place

http://www.gov.im/residents/roadnotifications/Notification.aspx?id=3942

My only question is which takes priority - the 50mph signage or the order that states that the limit is only valid between 09:30 and 16:30?

My only question is which takes priority - the 50mph signage or the order that states that the limit is only valid between 09:30 and 16:30?

Neither. The priority is anyone you see in the road.

I agree. What I mean is; after 16:30 today to 09:30 tomorrow morning does the 50mph order cease to be applicable as stated meaning that you can travel faster than 50mph or do the signs take priority meaning that you cannot?

I agree. What I mean is; after 16:30 today to 09:30 tomorrow morning does the 50mph order cease to be applicable as stated meaning that you can travel faster than 50mph or do the signs take priority meaning that you cannot?

If the signs are up then surely the sensible thing to do is obey them regardless of the time of day.

They are only there for a few days. You'd have to be short of something to worry about to stress about if you can do 70 on your way home tonight and then argue some technicality if it came to it.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to road signs because the people who put them there clearly don't. For a few weeks recently, the speed limit from Whitebridge Hill, Onchan to Baldrine was derestricted. In the other direction it was 50. I wonder whether they eventually noticed or if somebody told them.

If the signs are up then surely the sensible thing to do is obey them regardless of the time of day.

They are only there for a few days. You'd have to be short of something to worry about to stress about if you can do 70 on your way home tonight and then argue some technicality if it came to it.

Again I agree - I'm just curious about the technicality and certainly have no ambitions to find out through a practical experiment. If I get the time to phone the relevant authorities I'll let you know - although I suspect it will be the signs rather than the order as that is indeed the sensible thing.

Unquestioning compliance isn't at all sensible in my view. This includes traffic regulations. You must be one of these people who trundles past roadworks at 20mph at 2am, or sticks to 30 on a rural road at night time, but as soon as they see the unrestricted sign hurtles off at 100mph, as is their right because the sign says so.

Archived