£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

I wonder how long before someone suggests not paying and just using doggy bags before popping them in their local MHKs recycling bin. Plus, Tynwald should be triple taxed due to the amount of BS that leaks from the bowels of members.

How about that Roxanne?

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

recycling bin??? more like letter box!!

Edited by WTF

Ps pub talk from consultants leading this is to rise to £250 per equivilent household

Both Houghton and Bell have already publicly suggested £300.

Which is about the right amount for decent-sized house in the UK with the UK's relative economy of scale.

A single person with a water meter could expect to pay about £120-ish.

Surely if the ability to raise direct charges, bypassing Tynwald, then VOILA, there is no need for Tynwald - we can scrap the lot of them - they have given their power and very reason for existence away.

Unfortunately, we don't have the power to remove unelected politicians from our 'democratic' process on the island. Why there weren't revolts in the streets about this has always baffled me.

And we now seem to have no avenue of complaint against other unelected and public-payrolled bright sparks removing more of our money from our wallets.

What next? Light meters that measure the amount of street light glow outside your property? Parking meters placed outside your house? Road tolls? Charges for getting gold and needing care. Oh, wait a minute...

Ps pub talk from consultants leading this is to rise to £250 per equivilent household

Both Houghton and Bell have already publicly suggested £300.

Which is about the right amount for decent-sized house in the UK with the UK's relative economy of scale.

A single person with a water meter could expect to pay about £120-ish.

Are you saying the "water rate" should be £300 in total ?

For an average unmetered house that's a reasonable ball-park figure IMO.

Now how you go about applying the charge is a different matter of course.

For a Band D house in Scotland:

Water £190.17, Sewerage £220.68, Total £410.85

2014/15 Water rate in IoM is £3.0722/£. So, if your house has a rateable value of £150 you will pay 150 x 3.0722 = £460.83

That's just for water. Add £50, rising to £300, to that for the toilet tax. Say £750.

In London last year they were appalled by the massive rise in their combined charge (water and sewerage)

"Households in London are to face the biggest rise in water bills in the UK this year, with rates rising by almost double the rate of inflation to an average £354.

Thames Water, which supplies 14 million homes across the Capital and the Thames Valley, can put up water and sewerage bills by 5.5 per cent from 1 April, the industry regulator Ofwat said.

Customers cannot choose their supplier so Ofwat tells firms how much they can raise prices. Its move means households in the capital will see their average bill rise by £18."

London Evening Standard, February 2013)

In London last year they were appalled by the massive rise in their combined charge (water and sewerage)

"Households in London are to face the biggest rise in water bills in the UK this year, with rates rising by almost double the rate of inflation to an average £354.

And those charges are levied by a profit making private company who are making very handsome profit returns for their shareholders.

• Like 2

A water meter fitted to each property and there can be no complaints in a pay for what you use directive.

Of course the charge per litre may be up for argument.

I wouldn't argue with that , but I wouldn't would I given that my household comprises 2 adults and my present "water rates" are in excess of £1000 lol.biggrin.png .

I would expect those households with many children may complain that they are being "unfairly targeted".

It does seem that many on this site are happy as long as "someone else is paying the bill", preferably someone who has or is perceived to have more money/a nicer house than them.whatever.gif

• Like 1

For an average unmetered house that's a reasonable ball-park figure IMO.

I already pay well over £300 a year. By the time £300 service charge is added to my bill in a few years time I'll be paying about £1,000 a year. For water.