Mass Civil Disobedience - Legality And Implications

Manx1Bloke

Many people weren't born or have forgotten about the Poll Tax in the UK (Google it) . I lived in Scotland (which had the tax introduced a year earlier than the rest of UK) and can clearly remember the understandable feelings of unfairness. I remember the riots in London too.

This tax/charge in its proposed form is entirely misplaced in the Isle of Man. Any person with an understanding of the Isle of Man should realise that. I would like to know who is so desperate/stupid as to propose this method of raising income. That so many MHKs seem to have accepted it with such little protest is astounding.

To get 1,000 people to put their name to a common cause on the Isle of Man is a surely unprecedented. When it reached 2,000 I thought that would be the amazing limit. It is now over 6,000. Only a foolish MHK would attempt to ignore that.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We actually need the kind of petition where people say "I promise that I will not vote for my current MHK if he/she votes to support this tax."

It wouldn't even need 6,000 to concentrate a few minds.

Problem with that is...well I'm sure you could use your imagination, and imagine what the next election would actually result in if that were to be the case.

They were talking about this again on Manx Radio this lunchtime, and even Bell thinks it's an unfair tax. So why are they going ahead with it when everyone, including the minister charged with introducing it, thinks it's a bad idea ? This isn't the fiscal policy of a responsible government, it's a stick-up of its own people, and the piratical action of a bankrupt tax haven, bereft of ideas, as it eats itself in order to survive. There are people who are worried sick about this new tax, while for Bell's wealthy chums fifty quid is merely the price of a light lunch. Bell's government has reached a new low with this one and shame on any MHK who votes for it. It won't be forgotten.

We actually need the kind of petition where people say "I promise that I will not vote for my current MHK if he/she votes to support this tax."

Problem with that is...well I'm sure you could use your imagination, and imagine what the next election would actually result in if that were to be the case.

Perhaps one in which the move to introduce this tax is no more than a distant memory. The possibility of losing their comfortable positions might just strike enough fear into them. In fact, it's a tactic that could be used a lot in the years ahead to make politicians more accountable.

More effective would be a petition to immediately terminate the said MHK's current term in office and bring forth a by election with new candidates.

Example: If I was employing an architect to draw plans for a new house I'd sketched up and he kept coming back with increasingly whacky designs which were far removed from my original expectations I would just hire a different architect who could deliver what I originally envisaged and within a set budget.

In this example, the architect has proven to be an unpredictable liability and in breach of his contract and I'm not obliged to provide any further employment to him so I get rid quickly. I really don't see any reason why an MHK should expect to be employed on any different terms than the architect example above(unless they think they're a special case).

Looking at the photos of the newly 'rectified' road markings I'm not sure that they actually comply with the requirements either.

I'm pretty sure the zone end markings for a 1032 type road marking should include double white markings as indeed they were on the old ones seen on the road.

Archived