DED get extra 2 million for six new staff

asitis

I find the Manx Radio site header incredible, they are apparently going to be marketing the island FFS what have they been doing !

This is the old adage that the management you need during good times and austerity are two different sets of people and those who can manage whilst money is pouring out their ears do not have the talent of those managing an organisation which is finely balanced financially !

The latest research shows most of the island's visitors still come from the North West of England. So over the years the advertising can't have been good because people still don't know where the IOM is.

The EU & SA's know where we are thats for sure, often wonder how, when I travelled Europe as a youth no one had heard of the IOM. Who is doing the people trafficking?

Rumours have it that Manx jobs are being advertised abroad, so much for work permit enforcement and looking after the locals!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is something very fishy about this whole thing, and I hope Chris Thomas and Kate Beecroft take up the issue with Minister Shimmin in Tynwald

Mr Shimmin already has access to budgets that are literally massive - what necessitates that he come to Tynwald with this?

Folks suspect that it's a panic measure to give the island's economy a short term boost in the period prior to the next election

Many in business that I've spoken to recently fear that despite Osborne's supposed recovery in the UK, the IoM economy is absolutely flatlining - but there is just no open discussion about it. Presumably CoMin believe that they're the only people that have the 'power' [for this is their love] to do something about it, where as the rest of us think they're the ones who've got into this dreadful mess with their disastrous economic policy (if you might generously call it that)

Let's have a different approach - invest the money in major improvements to our internet infrastructure so we can compete with those who've continuous 1Tb online access, and use connections gained via the Liverpool Festival of Business 2014 to create a joint digital economy development area. Get government out of it's self-serving private networks, work with the community to create a local online trading market open to all!

Anybody have other thoughts/views/ideas?

There is something very fishy about this whole thing, and I hope Chris Thomas and Kate Beecroft take up the issue with Minister Shimmin in Tynwald

Mr Shimmin already has access to budgets that are literally massive - what necessitates that he come to Tynwald with this?

Folks suspect that it's a panic measure to give the island's economy a short term boost in the period prior to the next election

Many in business that I've spoken to recently fear that despite Osborne's supposed recovery in the UK, the IoM economy is absolutely flatlining - but there is just no open discussion about it. Presumably CoMin believe that they're the only people that have the 'power' [for this is their love] to do something about it, where as the rest of us think they're the ones who've got into this dreadful mess with their disastrous economic policy (if you might generously call it that)

Let's have a different approach - invest the money in major improvements to our internet infrastructure so we can compete with those who've continuous 1Tb online access, and use connections gained via the Liverpool Festival of Business 2014 to create a joint digital economy development area. Get government out of it's self-serving private networks, work with the community to create a local online trading market open to all!

Anybody have other thoughts/views/ideas?

If they are using £2 million for advertising and promoting the island they should be obliged to measure their results.

Archived