DED get extra 2 million for six new staff

asitis

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a kick in the teeth to the private sector people who have lost their jobs and have left the Island.

It's a case of " I'm alright Jack, fuck you I have loads of money"... "I am spending the money I charged you in tax to justify the vote a few grannies gave me"

Are these people really so thick that they think high net worth individuals have never heard of the Isle of Man?

All they have to do is google "expensive tax reduction accountant,UK", and they get their cold call target.

But the expensive accountant probably already knows more about Manx tax laws than MHKs do.

Pissing money against the wall.

From MR :Extra £2m for DED to target growth opportunities

Please add links, there are enough threads that start with 'random' statements.

Does anyone know where or what fund the money came from to finance this increase in staff?

Probably from the 'Marketing Fund' which is some sort of secret dippy pot overseen by Downie

I'd guess that the new staff will be employed in defining which types of business can succeed in our environment in a way which will offer employment opportunities.

Not an easy task at all so I'd hope that this would be money well spent if they can be successful?

We are extremely limited in conventional industries due to our remote location, perhaps there are areas which we have overlooked?

Funny as it may sound, Alan has a point. Food safety is a big one in the country up north from here. I remember seeing the new regulations that limit how much baby milk you can bring in Hong Kong and thinking WTF.

Manx Baby Milk Powder. Directly imported from the clean Isle of Man. You could make a mint!

I find the Manx Radio site header incredible, they are apparently going to be marketing the island FFS what have they been doing !

This is the old adage that the management you need during good times and austerity are two different sets of people and those who can manage whilst money is pouring out their ears do not have the talent of those managing an organisation which is finely balanced financially !

The latest research shows most of the island's visitors still come from the North West of England. So over the years the advertising can't have been good because people still don't know where the IOM is.

It would take time to check, but has anyone got the figures for the amount of advertising that has been done to attract ' up- market ' visitors in the past twenty years say, and just how many came. They used all the Toffs Press, Magazines etc with the only proviso being that it was targeted at the SE of England, and what a success it was. Now in a total turnaround, they have decided that the best area to get tourists from is THE NORTH WEST, brilliant. The area we always got the majority of our tourists from. Give the CS a massive bonus, no ordinary person could ever have worked that one out. All we need now is a ' Rebrand ' and a ' Launch ' - Moving Forward

From MR :Extra £2m for DED to target growth opportunities

Please add links, there are enough threads that start with 'random' statements.

Does anyone know where or what fund the money came from to finance this increase in staff?

Probably three potentials - marketing initiatives fund (DED), economic development fund (DED) or restructuring fund (whole of government) - all shown in government accounts. I wonder which of his mates the PE Teacher will bring in?

Archived