Burglars on the loose

Amadeus

Would-be burglars try to get into unlocked houses

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/would-be-burglars-try-to-get-into-unlocked-houses-1-6576007

Residents in Union Mills and Strang reported a number of incidents of would-be burglars trying to get into their properties through unlocked doors on Tuesday night.

Police want to hear from anyone in the area who noticed any unusual activity during this time or anything they found to be suspicious.

A spokesman said: ‘This sort of incident is unusual for our island but preventable by using basic crime prevention techniques such as locking your doors.’

I wish they would finally drop this bollocks line of "This sort of incident is unusual for our island". It's not. Even back when that scumbag broke into my house, the cops said something along the lines of "Oh, he's not one of our usual ones...". Burglaries happen all the time. Stop with this illusion of the safe and nice IOM.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a population of ~85,000 there will not be a great deal of crime so most will be unusual. I doubt you could claim the IOM is a special low crime area when compared to rural UK for example.

There's a police mantra which is always repeated...

It's usually the same faces and names in the paper though. There are just some dumbos that never change.

So why are these dumbos allowed to do it time and time again? Surely if you repeat offend, you should at some point be locked up for a long, long time. Let's change the law. Burglary = automatic 10 year sentence, 20 years if dwelling was occupied at the time. Sorted.

Well of course if it was that common they wouldn't bother to report it on the news. But actually the Chief Constable's Report does show burglaries dropping in number over the last few years from around 100 a year to around 60. We've actually seen this sort of drop in crime right across most of the Western World in recent times and that despite the recession since 2008 (crime normally goes up in poor economic times).

It's worth pointing out that this isn't an artificial drop caused by the police fiddling the figures (though that goes on too). The British Crime Survey has been carried out for three decades and actually asks people if they have been victims of of crime and gets details if they have been and this shows a similar drop. There have been various theories put forward for this, including the removal of lead from petrol, and is probably due to several causes, but it is clearly too widespread for any country or area's policing policy to be responsible. With burglary I suspect that a big factor may simply be that the rise of credit and debit cards and the drop in value of most second-hand goods simply mean that it's not as profitable as it once was. People have less cash hanging around and new household goods are so much cheaper in real terms that no one wants to buy them used.

Some thought as to why people are driven to such desperation as to turn to crime would be worthwhile.

I see very little evidence that takes place and using what has been written in the recent articles by John Callister who has faced such a hard time when faced with unemployment would be a good place to start.

The absolutely disgusting comments made to and about this man show that ignorance, indifference, and even antipathy clearly show two things. The first is such a shameful lack of Christian charity by so many people over here, and how very wrong the way that people here and in need are treated by a society that has values that represent the very worst of those found in Victorian times.

Is it surprising that some people turn to crime? Proposing long prison terms amounts to punishment twice over. The first for committing what too often are acts of desperation, the second for being poor.

(crime normally goes up in poor economic times).

FYI, I am sure I read in the Great Depression that crime actually fell there too. Just as a random aside!

Rest of the comment is very good! Hadn't realised these were published but just goes to show the crime really is pittance over here, and the vast majority of offenses are minor driving related ones, and the others are generally drink related

Some thought as to why people are driven to such desperation as to turn to crime would be worthwhile.

I see very little evidence that takes place and using what has been written in the recent articles by John Callister who has faced such a hard time when faced with unemployment would be a good place to start.

The absolutely disgusting comments made to and about this man show that ignorance, indifference, and even antipathy clearly show two things. The first is such a shameful lack of Christian charity by so many people over here, and how very wrong the way that people here and in need are treated by a society that has values that represent the very worst of those found in Victorian times.

Is it surprising that some people turn to crime? Proposing long prison terms amounts to punishment twice over. The first for committing what too often are acts of desperation, the second for being poor.

There should be better support for drug addicts, yes. I assume that's what you mean. IOMG has shown it's lack of interest for this already, for example in the way DASH was treated. That needs looking at, but doesn't count as excuse for committing crimes.

The scumbag who broke into my house was simply a drunk piece of shit from Wales with a previous for ABH. He doesn't need support or therapy, he needs a shovel to the face and then some years behind bars.

first is such a shameful lack of Christian charity by so many people over here, and how very wrong the way that people here and in need are treated by a society that has values that represent the very worst of those found in Victorian times.

Is CHRISTIAN charity somehow diffferent and superior to other forms of charity?

Archived