Burglars on the loose

Amadeus

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would get into trouble if you attacked a burglar with a golf club in your bedroom or anywhere else for that matter in your house if you could not prove it was just sitting there - for example in a bag in with other clubs in the hall after your Sunday round of golf. We might like the idea of going a bit "Charles Bronson" on someone who breaks into your house but you can only use reasonable force, look at that mental farmer in the UK, he may be a hero to some but he was a nutter.

You would get into trouble if you attacked a burglar with a golf club in your bedroom or anywhere else for that matter in your house if you could not prove it was just sitting there - for example in a bag in with other clubs in the hall after your Sunday round of golf. We might like the idea of going a bit "Charles Bronson" on someone who breaks into your house but you can only use reasonable force, look at that mental farmer in the UK, he may be a hero to some but he was a nutter.

Well, I would take my chances on that. The farmer in question shot the burglars and while I think he was fully justified to do so, the last time I checked it was quite difficult to shoot someone with a nine iron.

Anyway, these days I don't have that problem anymore. We've got armed guards around here and any intruders would likely be shot with few questions asked.

Amadeus, I'm not advocating physical violence but you must have an enormous gaff and stairwell to be able to swing a golf club!

You may find the 'boys in blue' would consider a golf club an inappropriate bit of kit in a bedroom and " an offensive weapon"?

I hesitate to say this but you may get away with , assuming you were in fear of your life , grabbing the first thing to hand (perhaps a substantial "sex toy … a marble phallus perhaps ?..lol) and blipping the burglar.

That said ,I have been burgled, a couple of times, and can understand your anger an frustration.

Agree,baseball bats and golf clubs as defense weapons in a confined space are ridiculous and cumbersome.

A rounders bat with a wrist loop strap is far more versatile to effect a swing in a hallway and quite sufficient to deter intruders.

My daughters rounders bat is always lying round the house upstairs. She frequently leaves it in our bedroom.

make sure she leaves the rounders ball as well !

Same goes if you have a baseball bat in the car. Make sure there's a ball and glove as well, so it's Sporting Equipment. Otherwise an over-enthusiastic member of the constabulary may call it an offensive weapon...

• 8 months later...

Archived